Restoration question. Need advice quick

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
My company use to do restoration work until my partner who went through all the training decided to go in a different direction. Anyway I stopped doing it until I had the time to really devote learning it and making sure I could do it corectly. .

Long story short, My parents house flooded last night and I just had a couple questions to make sure I do it right.. 3 rooms an hall. I was there within an hour and extracted very good. Got all the fans and dehus in place. Got all the baseboards off.

Question is, House is pretty old,the carpet is 11 years old. Would there be any reason that the carpet or pad would need to be replaced? Also would I need to cut the dry wall? I know its hard to answer this with out seeing it. I was just curious on an average job like this what other steps would need to be done.

Also I am renting the meters tonight from my distributer so I'm not talking about that. Just whether or not I should recomend replacing anything or cutting drywall.

Any help would be so great. Thanks

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I would pull the pad, make it easier to dry the carpet.(Unless you have the tools to do direct heat drying) Check to make sure the walls aren't plaster. Plaster is harder to dry than drywall, and you'd need heat! Get the baseboards off, and poke holes below the baseboard line to allow air to get into the wall cavity.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
So without the tes you always cut the pad out and replace it? All I have is the bear claw, would that be enough to stretch the carpet back? Never stretched a whole room before.

They are claiming it on insurance so what would you charge to replace the pad?

Thanks so much.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I don't have Xactimate with me, but I'm sure if you would put your zipcode, someone would be nice and list the unit prices for the items you need to bill for.

Service Call
Extraction
Anti-Microbial
Pad removal & replace
Lift carpet for drying
Fan
Dehu
Baseboard Removal
Stretch & reinstall carpet
Clean and deodorize carpet

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Your drying strategy depends on the equipment you have and your ability to use it. Does the carpet pad have a vapor barrior? It may not be necessary to remove the carpet pad if you extracted the water using a hydro-x EE or water claw. What type of sub floor? What type of dehumidifiers are you using, standard refrigerant or low grain refrigerant? Are they sized for the job? Which air movers, how are they set up? Drying everything "in place" is a preferred method of drying under the proper circumstances and with the right equipment.
I would at least try to save the carpet. The age of the carpet can affect its replacement value. If an insurance company thinks a wall to wall carpet should last 10 years and your carpet is 5 years old you may only get partial replacement cost. If the carpet is 15 years old it may have no value in the eyes of the insurance company.

minuteman

Was it sewage water or other. Price changes big time.
Here You Go : D-Hue 54.95, Air Mover -32.00 Tear out & Bag D-Wall 0.74 a SF, Equip. Set Up & Take Down 51.82 Per Hr. At Night 77.82, Emergency Service call D 143.53 at Night 215.28, Water extract 0.53 SF light & 0.62 Heavy cat 2 ).82, apply anti microbial 0.30 a SF. Tear out tac 0.90 SF, Tear Out Trim 0.30 SF,Tear out Pad0.39 SF, Water Remd TECH Per Hr 51.82.

Good Luck

Greg

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
Thank you very much. Thats why I like this web site. I get great advice from a number of different people, and advice I can use.

It was clean water. I am sure I saved the carpet but not sure about the pad. Probably would be best to replace it.

I cant remember all the other questions but I'll write then down next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom