road salt in carpet

NJ104

Name
Juan
I never came across this amount of salt before. It turns out that a new tenent rent the office space for a couple of months. Due to the extreme weather we had alot of snow hence the rock salt apparently the tenent didn't think that it was their responsibility to clean it up. Long story short I am wondering the best way to deal with this carpet job. It seems to have been grounded into a powder in the fibers.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Here's a simple remedy for dealing with ice melt residue in carpet:
1. If the carpet is dry, vacuum slowly and thoroughly.
2. If the carpet is damp, blot and/or bonnet clean with microfiber bonnets.
3. Apply Encap-HydrOx following the "pre-spray" dilution on the label.
4. Brush ample Encap-HydrOx into the carpet, and allow 10 minutes of dwell time.
5. Extract and/or bonnet clean (with microfiber bonnets) using Encap-HydrOx.

Here's a link to Encap-HydrOx. Give it a try, I guarantee it'll work for you.

ice-melt.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Derek

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We would scrub it real good and acid rinse. This winter was pretty nasty here in buffalo also.

Name
Tom McLaughlin
Use a good pile lifter, vacuum the crap out of it to be sure you've got as much loose particulate as possible. Pre-treat with FabPro Liquid Rinse Detergent as it is formulated for ice melting compound removal. Give it a decent amount and dwell time, give it a couple extra strokes as you extract to flush out as much as possible. We usually put an air mover on it, you know, get it dry right away.

We had one just recently where my customer saw some slight residue afterwards so we went with encapman's idea to finish the job once and for all.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Since everyone is jumping in ill put my money where my mouth is :) if what I tell you to use doesn't work the first time every time I'll buy you a case of anyone of these other guys stuff. Steam Way 601http://http://www.superiorcleaningsolutions.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Steam+way+601&Submit= best acid spotter out there when going after ice melt. Great for lots of stuff but beat everything when it comes to ice melt. I like CTI's UPT for a urine pre treat slightly better but for entryways in the winter 601 hands down and only $22

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Rust remover Larry? What is the acid your wanting him to pre spray with? Atomizing that strong an acid has to be one of the most confusing post I have ever seeing you make. You do not what to atomize and breathe in a rust remover. The chemical burns on your lungs let alone your eyes and skin would be grounds for Darwin Award. Please Larry explain as I really cannot believe you would give such a dangerous suggestion.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner

John your link is bad. Let's see if this one works:

http://www.superiorcleaningsolutions.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=steam+way+601&Submit=

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
John;

Mikey uses a stronger acid all the time with our Grout Remover.

The Rust Remover would of course . . . .

be diluted.

Truck washers spray it all the time.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom