Rotary Extractor vs a Wand

Mikey P

Administrator
Can you ever recall getting a new client who said the last guy used a (they won't know the correct term) a RV or RX and they were not happy with the results?

Has a customer ever commented on your type of wand?
"hey is that made of Titanium?

Or carbon fiber?

Does that head swivel?

Is that a 2 inch or 1.5?

What is the white thing down there?

I'm just thinking that companies or OOs must have better customer retention.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
guess you're still digging the 360, eh??

I have had peeps point out the "white thing" before

and I've been telling you mOOnpies for years the hole and hybrid glide does NOT clean as well as the slot.
you're NOW cleaning with a slot and also getting agitation on each revolution .

I'm not surprised you see a world of difference

..l.T.A.

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
Some people notice everything. Others either don't notice or just want clean carpet and don't care how it gets that way.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mikey P said:
love the thing more and more very time WE use it.

Tom Meyer and Adam Hale just got theirs.

You'll see...

are they still using hOle glides too??
I can excuse Tom, cause CCing isn't his full time gig

..L.T.A.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Does a 360 clean better than an RX? I used an RX (with and without glides) on every job for about five years.

Brute prescrub (pad type according to carpet type) + GreenHorn rinse cleans at least as well, is faster (especially with a helper), and dries faster, IMHO.

Don't think I'll be goin back to a rotary extractor.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Mikey P said:
Brute for a pre scrub?

good lord.

Installing new carpet would be quicker.

Sometimes I use a 175. The Brute takes about the same time for a better level of scrub.

You can skim over the surface faster with a 175 for a lighter scrub.

Whatever it takes to get the best results.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
funny enough the guy who i bought out his biz (only in it 2 yr) his WIFE said he had another buddy come over and clean it with a rotary (she said spiny thing) and DID NOT LIKE IT

I am cleaning theirs in the next few and gonna borrow my buddies 360

the question is......do you edge before or after???

shit now i need to get a groomer :shock: :shock: :shock:

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
meAt said:
Mikey P said:
love the thing more and more very time WE use it.

Tom Meyer and Adam Hale just got theirs.

You'll see...

are they still using hOle glides too??
I can excuse Tom, cause CCing isn't his full time gig

..L.T.A.

I had one Hole glide for about 20min. I am a slot glide guy. The only way to go !!

Ryan

I have a lot of respect for both of you guys so I'll take your word on the slot cleaning better....

I'm just curious as to how it does this? I mean most of the cleaning is done by your chemicals and jets right. The part with the glide and suction is pretty much just to dry the carpet.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Ryan said:
I have a lot of respect for both of you guys so I'll take your word on the slot cleaning better....

I'm just curious as to how it does this? I mean most of the cleaning is done by your chemicals and jets right. The part with the glide and suction is pretty much just to dry the carpet.

If you get the chunks with a prevac and then prescrub, why not use a hole glide that pushes easier and dries faster?

You can't fix STUPID but you can vote them out of office.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The only thing a customer will notice is if your tool is clean and pretty or not.
If you have crap hanging off your wand or it's dinged, Rusted and chipped or whatever...bad deal.

I will say, however....one customer years ago thought I was extracting with my 175 when I was bonnet cleaning for Chem-Dry :shock:

Made me think "how many other customers think I am extracting?"
That thick black cord could be mistaken for a small hose I guess....funny how things work.

Mikey P

Administrator
IMO the "cleaning" happens when the soil is being removed.

Not prepped/loosened.

Do this.

Find a nice evenly soiled stanky home, clean half with your wand and look in your Lint Filter than empty it., clean the other half with your RV/RX and take a look.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Mikey P said:
IMO the "cleaning" happens when the soil is being removed.

Not prepped/loosened.

Do this.

Find a nice evenly soiled stanky home, clean half with your wand and look in your Lint Filter than empty it., clean the other half with your RV/RX and take a look.

An RX pulls out more carpet fibers, but it doesn't seem to pull out more dirt. When I used the RX the filter was full of carpet fibers, but not more dirt.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Maybe i missed it but how does it clean on berber? How about cgd?

I already ordered a bentley, what glide comes with it?

I believe the rv is great but only for certain carpets. Im more tempted by the orbot for some reason.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ryan said:

that's close, Ryan, and on low loop piles, the hole works fine.
But on cut piles is where the deficiency shows.

I believe it's due to the lack of penetration down "into" the yarns.
the same reason the hole is such a joy to wand with, is the same reason it doesn't clean as thoroughly.
ie..it sits on "top" the fiber bundles.

The slot allows the fibers to be pulled "into" the slot ..well...that's a bit of a euphemism, cause they aren't really puled "into" the slot 'cept on the shortest, cheapest cut piles.....
guess it would be more of "squeegee" effect on the fiber bundles that hole can't duplicate

as far as dry times...that's another misconception that hasn't proved it's self in "my" real world side by side evaluations .
'least not with "my" way of cleaning carpets...which is to use pre-spray in sufficient quantity and flush/rinse extract with slow keyed back strokes and forward dry stroke.

Most guys aren't able to do side by side eval's because they don't have identical wands with different glides..I do..I have AW29's and a notched Ti..the notched Ti allows us to change glides in seconds and that's what I used for most of my eval's..which were all done on same "rooms" at same time (that's important)

What I discovered was, if you feel the carpet immediately (or within a minute or two) after the hole cleans, it will feel like a BIG difference compared to the slot cleaned side...but 15 to 30 minutes latter, you won't be able to feel the difference.
and eval's to "complete" drying are so close, that there's virtually no difference

My suppositions on the dudes that report superior dry times are this;
1.) for the first time in their life they're not too lazy to add dry strokes
2.) the carpets they claim vastly decreased dry times on were the type that wand "lock down" happens (a glide is very effective at preventing "lock down"..and a tack strip "cat clawed" glide even better)
3.) they don't know any better and just parrot what everyone else says
(which happens WAY more than you might realize...that's how the "board deJour" phenomenon happens)
4.) they don't know what "dry" means
5.) one or all of the above

..L.T.A.

I tried two different hole green glides and hated them both. I always went back to my unglided wand which imo is still the best option. However since installing a slot glide and setting the jets up properly I no longer even carry the unglided wand. The slot wand works just fine on cgd. I really prefer the glide now for the simple fact that it makes doing dry strokes so much easier and I feel it does not push and pull on the carpet as much. I have cleaned everything from cgd, berber style, thick piles, builders grade, rugs, and tile with this wand which is the wand I was trying to sell for 500. I wouldn't take less than 800 for it now. It is awesome. The key was the slot glide, 110's in the middle and 80's on the outside. There is absolutely no overspray or streaking, and the water sprays out to the edge. I have to say I really like this slot glide/wand setup. It has proven its worth over the course of many jobs.

Now back to rotary tools. I don't use the rx because the wand does a fabulous job and I sell fast dry times. The only time I ever use the rx is for certain jobs where the wand is not getting the job done and that is like 1 out of every 500 jobs. Not very many. If the job is so nasty I feel the rx is the best option, I will charge double my normal rate as I will have to go get it and set up the apo hose. I am sure the unglided full slot rx will outclean a regular wand but will also take much longer to dry. Plus with my chems, a good pre-vac, good heat, and dry strokes I do not come accross many that need a rotary tool.

My next move is to mess around with the rx and the full slots Jim Martin sent me. I currently have glides on them, but plan to do some carpets without to see how well it performs. My thought is that the glides will work better on loop piles/cgd and unglided will work better on pile carpet.

Ryan

Hmm... theres not much life left in my glide anyways... I may bust out a the Dremel and turn my hole glide into a slotted one.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
When all I had was my AW29, it would leave streaks on CGD
The CMX20 would negate the streaks and leave it all even looking though it did not remove all the soil. It did remove more than my wand.

NOW that I have a greenhorn, different story. Leaves no streaks on CGD. I tried the CMX the other day, no glides on it, it just didn't want to pick up enough water, not unless I moved it REALLY slowly.
I have a hybrid glide on the GH and since I prevac and scrub with a CRB I don't need the wand to scrub.

Anyone want a CMX?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom