Rotary or 2" with a glide?

Lonny

Supportive Member
What do you recommend and why? For a truckmount system, ceteris parabus.
I am most interested in time vs. quality, I know-aren't we all?

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
Wand with glide will offer the fastest cleaning for most cleaners. A rotary will remove more soil, but it will take longer to complete the job. Everyone will have different opinions and results will vary from one cleaner to another. You should try equipment out for yourself.

Reactions: Lonny

Lonny

Supportive Member
Rob, you're exactly right I'm afraid. I realize there is no exact quantitative measure for time saved vs. quality gained. I was hoping to try to determing whether I am better off starting with a good multi jet high flow wand, or just go rotary. I fully realize I will end up with both on the truck, and have been wanding with a 1.5" with glide, which is I am sure more versatile also, just trying to determine if I stay with the 1.5 and get a rotary, or do the 2" wand first and then go rotary in a few months, or perhaps next season.

Mikey P

Administrator
again..

I prefer two inch low profile multi jetted wands with Hybrid Greenglides. Almost every wand company makes a good one.

Then get a 175 with a shampoo brush and various fiber and OP pads.

Then get a Cimex or other big heavy machine the hides dirt.

Then get a Rotary Extractor.

Dont forget a bunch of snail and airpath type fans, a upright vacuum cleaner with attachments, a couple styles of upholstery tools, some rakes, tile tools and

Reactions: Russ T. and Lonny

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Go with the 2" hose. The fact that the wand tube is 1.5" is not going to make much difference (too short of a distance to have much effect) and you will gain flow.
As far as rotaries go, I am sure you followed the unending threads about it. You can do excellent cleaning both ways.

Reactions: Lonny

Lonny

Supportive Member
Thanks guys, I think that gives me my answer. I have used 2" hose, well for the past 5 years, even with the porty, just not the wand, finally moving to TM. Looks like I just missed the 2.5" hose special.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
You should get a rotary extractor. I love my 360i. I almost never use my glided Ti wand. It sits in the van collecting cobwebs. I bring in the 360i and a 12' wand with a 15' whip on most jobs and whip around and under furniture with the wand and use the rotary extractor for the lanes and spotted areas. The 12" wand is extremely versatile and can bang out jobs almost as fast as the 14" Ti wand because it is lighter and you can move faster with it. Plus it does the prevaccing step while you clean:winky:.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
The fact you are going from a porty to a TM will make you poop your pants enough! Use whatever you have for now.

I also agree w/Mike, get a floor machine(175) use it to encap or scrub, whatever...

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
You won't gain speed with a rotary but we are in the business of making people happy enough to talk. For me, the 360i is a game changer (only been 1 week).

Russ Terhaar
The Clean Machine of Iowa LLC
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

Indeed. Customers (who are used to my top level cleaning ability for the last 4 decades) are blown away by what the 360i does. All right, that's a slight exaggeration. Most of my customers don't know or care what I do or what I use to clean. But I've actually had some long time customers mail me notes saying how great their carpets look after using the 360i. A wand and a 175 can't beat it and it beats that combo on the worst jobs. I put it up against the Hoss and we all (the operators) like it (the 360i) best. Blows the RX20 into the toilet. Faster then a wand on many jobs. No. But the guy with the wand only would be left watching on the sidelines as his customers seek better results. Perhaps he derives pleasure from being humiliated.

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
Art, Are you also using the Hoss ?

I put it up against the Hoss and we all (the operators) like it (the 360i) best. Blows the RX20 into the toilet.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Get the 360i and don't look back, you'll be amazed and so will your clients.

Name
Brad Gouveia
I would say you need both.

That is what I have. Sometime it is a pain to break out a rotary and just faster to wand it. Other times the rotary is a real life/back saver.

It does not cost that much more to get a 2" wand anyways.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Art, Are you also using the Hoss ?

I put it up against the Hoss and we all (the operators) like it (the 360i) best. Blows the RX20 into the toilet.

Doug, I own an RX20 (which never lived up to it's hype) which I stopped using 20 years ago, and tested the Hoss on a job with Eric (zipper guy) who own(s) one but liked my 360i better, also, and so did his helper, when we did a cgd job.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I would say you need both.

That is what I have. Sometime it is a pain to break out a rotary and just faster to wand it. Other times the rotary is a real life/back saver.

It does not cost that much more to get a 2" wand anyways.

agreed, I have both as well.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Doug, I own an RX20 (which never lived up to it's hype) which I stopped using 20 years ago, and tested the Hoss on a job with Eric (zipper guy) who own(s) one but liked my 360i better, also, and so did his helper, when we did a cgd job.

2" hose plugs into 360i (or other RE's). You'll want both for convenience rather than choking your suction by using 1.5' whip and wand. I also ordered one of the Devastator in line filters because I am digging SO MUCH crap out of the carpet that I never got before. I have also begun to pay more attention to pre vacuuming. Just by making a few "tweaks" that I learned by paying attention and asking questions on here, I feel like I'm more excited about my work than I have been in a long time. These changes can only be good for bidness!

Russ Terhaar
The Clean Machine of Iowa LLC
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

Reactions: Mikey P

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't understand it. I have tried to get a useful answer from the one or two guys on here that I think aren't full of Yocum, but even they can't convince me. Why would you chose a tool that slows you down, cost two or three time the cost of a good 2 inch wand with a glide on it, and take up much needed space in the van? Not to mention the drying time increase that comes with using a rotary extraction tool? Why would you bring these things into your life when a good two inch wand with a glide and a vacuum cleaner that you USE will give you just as good results, with quicker drying times and in less time?

Now if a rotary extraction tool gave better visual results I could see the hype.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I don't understand it. I have tried to get a useful answer from the one or two guys on here that I think aren't full of Yocum, but even they can't convince me. Why would you chose a tool that slows you down, cost two or three time the cost of a good 2 inch wand with a glide on it, and take up much needed space in the van? Not to mention the drying time reduction that comes with using a rotary extraction tool? Why would you bring these things into your life when a good two inch wand with a glide and a vacuum cleaner that you USE will give you just as good results, with quicker drying times and in less time?

Now if a rotary extraction tool gave better visual results I could see the hype.

I'm getting much better visual results with the RE than with my wand. It may have something to do with the fact that I'm running a pretty small, basic TM. Even after thoroughly pre vacuuming, the 360 is pulling all kinds of hair, sand, etc. out of the carpet. I'm not sure one of the nuclear powered TM's could do the job I'm doing with my small TM and 360i. Just 2 weeks before getting the 360, I bought a new 2" wand (6 flow) and Greenglide. It will do a fair job on Residential but too much flow to keep heat on commercial (again, small TM). I should have just skipped the big wand for now and went for the 360.
I disagree that you can get just as good results with quicker dry times...but yeah, you can do it in less time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I don't understand it. I have tried to get a useful answer from the one or two guys on here that I think aren't full of Yocum, but even they can't convince me. Why would you chose a tool that slows you down, cost two or three time the cost of a good 2 inch wand with a glide on it, and take up much needed space in the van? Not to mention the drying time increase that comes with using a rotary extraction tool? Why would you bring these things into your life when a good two inch wand with a glide and a vacuum cleaner that you USE will give you just as good results, with quicker drying times and in less time?

It might or might not look cleaner right after cleaning, depends on the condition of carpet and level of soiling. You will be removing more soil from the carpet, so the carpet will stay looking cleaner for longer. I don't have increased dry times when using a rotary.

I stopped using RE because I couldn't get my customers to see the value of it. More $ in equipment and more time spent cleaning meant that I would have to charge more than using a wand. People would choose the lower price because the carpet does look really good after cleaning with a glided wand.

Ron K

again..

I prefer two inch low profile multi jetted wands with Hybrid Greenglides. Almost every wand company makes a good one.

Then get a 175 with a shampoo brush and various fiber and OP pads.

Then get a Cimex or other big heavy machine the hides dirt.

Then get a Rotary Extractor.

Dont forget a bunch of snail and airpath type fans, a upright vacuum cleaner with attachments, a couple styles of upholstery tools, some rakes, tile tools and

So Mike you don't think a good CRB would be a better more flexible tool combined with the Wand. You still get the faster drying times,you get the agitation of a 175 without the weight, you can still encapsulate, you can pile lift,you don't slow way down by using just a rotary. The only big drawback I see is the CRB's cost. I think if the CRB takes care of a lot of situations..or am I wrong. WHat do you think??

Last edited:

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
What is not to get. The 360I pulls way more dirt out of the carpet when it's there. That is, if the carpet is real dirty the 360I will pull tons of soil out that no wand or vacuum is getting. And it leaves the carpet drier. I've proven to myself time after time. I've scrubbed on dirty carpet with my 2 inch wand and then went over the same area with the rotovac and pulled a crap load of dirt. So on dirty carpet it's faster and drier. Anything less and you're just NOT getting the carpet really clean.

Mikey P

Administrator
A crb is not heavy enough to break oily soil loose like a full size 175 and a fiber pad dies.
A crb only digs pet hair/loose fibers out better, some thing a RE does just as well

I only use my crb for stone scrubbing and the very occasional matted pile mess.

I much prefer a Cimex for scrub and rub jobs

Lonny

Supportive Member
Mikey, I agree that the 175 does a much better job at pre-scrub, but I hate the 125lbs. up & down stairs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom