Rotary psi, how high do YOU go?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
General residential carpet cleaning, what psi do you normally clean with?

Just picked up a 360i, the manual says 50-300psi.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'm usually between 300-350 psi on resi, cut pile carpet. Just play with it a bit. Install an in line filter to help keep your jets free from debris.

I love how it holds the heat down at the carpet and just flat out CLEANS!

I've been working with mine for about a year and a half and am still getting better with it.

You made a good choice with that little tool Jerry!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Does anybody have an idea about the actual flow of the RE's.
Yes, I know that there are different rotaries, different jet/bar configurations and it depends on the psi etc.

However, judging by how fast your recovery tank fills up compared to working with a wand, how much more/less water do you tend to use?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'm not sure if you've done it yet but the handle can be pulled out, turned 180 degrees and pushed back down and re tightened for storage in the van. I took a pic of this but can't figure out how to post a pic from my iPad.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
image.jpg

Reactions: Art Kelley

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's a good question Ofer.

Off the top of my head I would think it would flow double. BUT that's not been my experience, it seems to use the same or less.

Reactions: ruff

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
My unscientific findings are that my hoss uses less water with no oriface and long spray bars then my 12 flow wand. My 360 Xl uses about the same to slightly less then my wand.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Doesn't seem like it should use more? I'm always shocked that my water level isn't down low.

I like to really flush and fluff up the traffic areas, so I would think it would use a lot of water.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I go through more water with my 360i than my wand. I run a 6 flow wand though. It's probably @ 20% more water.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
So Russ is it a problem with your recovery tank filling too fast?
Not really. If my day is full (3+) of residential jobs, dump tank is definitely on my mind. It's one of the big reasons I'll look hard at Butler and the 210 recovery tanks in their system.

The drastically higher level of cleaning with the RotoVac makes the slight amount of more water being flushed a no brainier for me. If the carpet is heavily soiled and matted, I pull it out without sweating the slight amount more water I'll be going through.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
However, judging by how fast your recovery tank fills up compared to working with a wand, how much more/less water do you tend to use?

Ofer, I've only had a rotary for a few days(4-5 jobs). So far, I'd say if wanding a job waste tank 1/3 full. It's now over half full. I also think I'm not getting the vac/suction I should outta this thing(so, it should be more).

It's also a big foamy mess(in there) robbing me of vac. Every pre spray I've used is doing it. Guess defoamer is a must, just like extremely thorough vacuuming(uggggg!)...

I go through more water with my 360i than my wand. I run a 6 flow wand though. It's probably @ 20% more water.

Russ, how often you change those felt ring things? Think that could help a vac issue? Lol, cracked my site tube on second job:hopeless:! Couldn't figure best place for the vac hose:oldrolleyes:, I see your straps are latched up front, hmmmmm. Maybe that's how I cracked it, jamming it through the back...

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Jerry, I haven't changed my felt ring yet. Ive used it on hundreds of jobs at this point. I am careful to keep the head clean after every day and I hose of the felt ring and turn it over regularly. Being that its a used machine I'd replace that though, probably good to have a spare too. If the felt ring isn't creating an air tight seal, it would cause major issues with its clean ability, I'd imagine. The site tube should be replaced too if its cracked (I'm sure you know that).

Another thing to definitely check is the jets on the bottom. Mine are 1.5 flood jets that come standard on the machine. I've heard of guys switching them out which will drastically change the flow the machine is putting out. I've never had an issue with the jets so I continue to run with the stock jets at @ 350 psi. The guy you bought it from may have put larger jets on it.

If I were you, I'd order 3 new jets, a new site tube, and a couple felt rings.

If I run out to my van with the Rotovac connected to the vac hose and the head resting on the carpet, I can hear the vac relief on my truckmount. You shouldn't be able to hear air escaping from anywhere on the Rotovac. My 2" hose fits snug over the site tube.

I do carry a jug of defoamer but its full because I hardly ever need it. I was using Bio Break and Flex Powder with Citrus as my pre sprays, both worked great without foaming issues. Ive recently been using Powermax from Cobb and really like it too. I will say that the Powermax seems to foam a little more but not enough to slow me down at all.

My guess is that there is an air leak somewhere. That could cause your suction and foaming issues. I think it's probably a simple/cheap fix. I had to commit to the tool for a while before I would say I was confident in how I was using it. I had never used a rotary extractor prior to me buying a new Rotovac 360i 2 Summers ago. I also didn't have an experienced tech show me how to use it, I kinda just had to work with it and figure it out. I believe that if you hang in there with it, you may very well change the level of cleaning you are offering and set yourself apart from your competition. That's exactly whats happening with us.

Man I want that thing to work for you guys, I really think it will.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Instead of a larger tank I think I would just get a pump out. I don't really want to carry more dirty water. A container of defoamer lasts me years. I wouldn't use anything that would cause foam and rarely do my customers. 300 psi or lower works great for my rotovac. Higher psi will cause it to go through the carpet. I tried it at 600 when I first got it and went right through the carpet. They recommended 300 max and I don't have any problems there.

Gene

Reactions: KevinL and jcooper

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I agree, make sure the felt ring is in good condition, and that you're applying Teflon lubricant spray to the ring and where the ring goes, you'll see a significant change in the sealing and notice it also on the suction.

When you are dry stroking w/ the 360i, every couple of dry strokes, stop for a sec and tilt the head towards you, you'll see a bit of water go up the tube, this way is stuck in the metal suction ring, and it helps w/ the drying of the carpet. We got in a pattern of doing that and noticed drying times going down.

We use the lower flow jets, smaller the stocks, still works great...psi 300-400 depending on carpet/soil.

Reactions: jcooper and Russ T.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Instead of a larger tank I think I would just get a pump out. I don't really want to carry more dirty water. A container of defoamer lasts me years. I wouldn't use anything that would cause foam and rarely do my customers. 300 psi or lower works great for my rotovac. Higher psi will cause it to go through the carpet. I tried it at 600 when I first got it and went right through the carpet. They recommended 300 max and I don't have any problems there.

Gene
I AGREE! Why would you want to carry all that dirty water around? Can you not dump in yards there? I wish manufacturers would install a more convenient pump out hose that can be tossed out at each job like Stanley Steemers. For those that don't know they have a 20 ft garden hose connected to a 10 foot flat hose that lays discreetly in the yard and stays connected to the pump out port.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I push around 450 to 500 with my Hoss............both trucks have live APO reels and we pull the hose out just about every job....
I have a 150 gallon waste tank in the cab over.....but I still pull the hose out and pump out as much as I can each job...I see no reason to carry it around all day.......

Reactions: tmdry

tcdepot

Name
The Cleaner's Depot
Jerry,

We went through that machine and made sure everything was in good, working condition before it left our store. That included the felt seal, carbon brushes and jets. If something isn't working right, give us a call and I can send out some replacements for you.

Thanks.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
We went through that machine and made sure everything was in good, working condition before it left our store. That included the felt seal, carbon brushes and jets. If something isn't working right, give us a call and I can send out some replacements for you.
Thanks.

Matt, you/cleaners depot did great(Really, I appreciate everything), I'm new to this rotary thing and more than likely I fooked something up all ready!:rockon:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Just takes time, once you get the hang of, you'll know when to use it, etc.

Than you can start doing the Rotovac dance...w/ the 360i...only for advanced rotary users...it's like salsa (not that I know how to dance salsa).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom