Rotovac

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
There's going to be a continued interest among TM'ers for RV products. Let me offer my hands on experience and mods for those who have never owned one up to this point.

First of all the bench mark for me is a 14" wand with at least an 06 in jetting fed with 500-650 psi, full 230 degrees at the TM. Pre-vac and pre-spray, no raking or additional agitation. That's my style on a daily basis for better or worse. Yes I use agitation as needed but that's a whole other thread.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine to use standards or bench marks when talking about things. That's why I mention a 14" wand. On a side note, even a glided wide wears me out, hence I've always reached for some type of mechanical help.

I've been dinking in my shop with RV stuff long enough to say even if it's IMHO that the original twin cup RV and the 360 are not originally designed for the flow and temps of our contemporary TM's. They would be candidates for a complete re-model for high flow and temp but don't hold your breath. I'll willing to bet my favorite beer that RV makes only stuff they can market effectively and make a considerable margin on. The best evidence I can offer on that theory is that they market the product to beginners as a package which includes a portable.

So, to make a long story short on the original model, I increased the actual vacuum slots from 3/16 to 1/4". It's a chore to accomplish and not something I've found the average cleaner can accomplish. Huge increase in cfm. Formed and installed a larger plenum leading to the banjo. Very small increase in cfm. Fabricated a high flow "Y" at the end of the 1 1/2" wand. A notable increase in cfm. Last thing I did (early last year) was form and install a 2" wand. Holy shit.

The 360 comes with a PMF or some other POS valve that lacks an effective fulcrum advantage to the valve stem. I installed a WP valve and that made a big difference. When my TM spikes during idle periods (and many heat ex units do) the new valve will work against the increased pressure build up.

The 360 needs a kick stand. Some bitch will fall back against the solution line. Hey RV, what are you thinking sometimes? I mean really, you obviously don't use the shit you make on a day in day out basis. Anyway, I got creative with a PVC tee and some PVC pipe mounted on one of the handle cross members and it works ok.

The original 360 will overspray 3-6 inches (better then the RX). A veteran cleaner will say, "ya but it's not that bad". Well I say any overspray is unacceptable. So, the jets can be wrenched a bit and it will reduce it substantially. The stock jets will dribble. Joe Bristor has check valve ball, springs and retainers and I can instruct someone on how the drill and cut the threads. Spray Systems flood jets unfortunately aren't threaded on the inside. Why some are is an interesting story.

On the original 360 I thought the 1 1/2" inlet (where you attach a vac hose) to the main plenum was a poor choice but after closely reviewing it with a friend, my opinion is that the pressure rise (vacuum increase if that helps you better understand it) is more then enough when running my Coolcuffs 2"to11/2" reducer down to the inlet. I think RV's current 360 may have a 2" inlet now which is find for TM'ers.

The current 360 has newer cupped vac shoes made of cast stainless (if I heard that correct) steel and it boasts to contain all potential overspray. That's good in many ways. Overspray on baseboards and hard surfaces is a nuisance and it allows the Spray Systems flood jet to impact the field completely. And I think is was RV themselves who told me the new shoe is guaranteed for life. They have to sell the new style shoes ($210.00) with a new block because of some reason the bolt holes aren't the same as for the old non teflon shoes. I think that's frigging lame that any manufacturer doesn't keep things consistent and that small changes effect so much. But I'm kinda a crumpy complainer

More later.

Mike Draper

The new RV-360 has improved a lot. I put around 1000 hours on my first one before moving to scrubbers and high flow wands etc. I have now purchased a new rv-360 and can honestly say the thing rocks for rat nasty apmts. it does leave the carpet wet for longer than my wand, but I don't really care on apartments. I dont really know how I went without the rv-360 for so long. I think its a great tool that every carpet cleaner should have. the new stainless steel teeth are nice, it seems to scoop up crap off the floor better, it also retains the spray jets as well. I've timed some carpets for dry times and cant say its an improvement, best thing about it now is it does not fall backwards when you let it go and the 2" port is great to.

Name
Nate W.
Damn, you did the mod I was looking to do to the OG RV. How'd you make the wand for the 2" tube? I've been looking locally for 2" wand tubes to mess around with. What do I ask for when trying to find a 2" piece of tube? Stainless or what?

I also want to put a 2" port on my rv360, just cause I hate the vacattack adaptor. I have GG for 1 of my OG RV's and 1 for my rv360... I noticed the foam on the rv360 head will leak a considerable amount of air. I put clear tape on it to see if it improved the suction and it did. I've been using a Sebo type scrubber and a TI wand, takes me the same if not longer then the OG RV or rv360 but the carpet is a hell of a lot drier no doubt.

I believe Loren from DeltaSteamway was the one who loves the OG RV and wanted a modified 2" tube for his. Please post pics or send them to me. Thanks.

A

amazingcleansc

sounds cool. one thing though, you WANT the vac slot to be restrictive so watch out boring that out.

Name
Nate W.
Bump...

What about just putting a 2" tube or hose and high performance Y on the OG RV and leaving the vac slots and plenum alone? I assume the plenum would be the choking point of the tool?

A

amazingcleansc

Nate The Great said:
Bump...

What about just putting a 2" tube or hose and high performance Y on the OG RV and leaving the vac slots and plenum alone? I assume the plenum would be the choking point of the tool?

probably not bad.. or running 2" until RIGHT before the heads. and leave the slots alone.

also. Nate is a PLENUM anything like a PERINEUM?

Name
Nate W.
amazingcleansc said:
Nate The Great said:
Bump...

probably not bad.. or running 2" until RIGHT before the heads. and leave the slots alone.

also. Nate is a PLENUM anything like a PERINEUM?

DamnitDavid, you can't use BIG words around me...... I was homeschooled! :lol:

In all seriousiness, I believe so... :twisted:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom