Routine Maintenance on a PTO

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I bought a Cleanco Compact 47 last Summer. It had @ 1700 hours on the unit. I haven't done much of anything to it except clean it up and make some $ with it. As soon as this Winter breaks I want to properly get it ready for the busy season. Do most owners of PTO's find it easy to change the belts, fluids, worn hoses, descale? Am I missing something? I ultimately want to know my machine well enough to do it all but I'm considering a trip to Kansas City to go through it with the servicer/installer. Am I just concerned about nothing? Smart move to drive @ 3 hours to KC? Thanks!

The Clean Machine

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Russ...you'd drive 3 hours to get a coupla squirts of grease
in the blower zerks?
cuz other than a belt change..maybe...all you got to do is
change the oil and filter on the truck and clean out the Burger King wrappers.....

ohh an' run some clear water thru the blower from time to time

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
A few squirts of grease in the blower zerks, as well as both sides of the drive shaft. Replace the (3 I think) drive belts in the machine. Blower and pump fluid change. Is that it? Should I even mess with the belt on the clutch under the hood? I really dig running a PTO!

The Clean Machine

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Blower and pump fluid change
Well i suppose ...if ya want to.....but since there is no combustion
going on in the pump or blower.....i jus never did.......
Honestly i've never seen a driveshaft wit zerk fitting.....
i've always ran the sealed bearing in the Genies....

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Honestly i've never seen a driveshaft wit zerk fitting.....

I know there's one next to my drivers seat because I've lubed it a couple times. I can't find anything under the hood though. That's one reason I wanted someone to go through it with me. It will be good to talk to you guys in person in a few weeks. The Kid is looking for a proper education....and a party!

The Clean Machine

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I had the newer version Cleanco in 2008 .. I'm pretty sure there were 7 nipples to grease .. grease-em every week .. you don't want to wear out the bearings which could damage your shaft .. It took over 2 weeks for me to get a shaft delivered from Canada ..

the serpentine belt under the hood was very easy for me to change .. make sure you have the diagram and exact belt numbers .. the part store will give you the original belt which will be too short .. keep a spare belt with the diagram on the van .. and of course the tools needed for the change ..

if there's no dry rot, cracks, chips, wear marks on the blower belts, don't bother replacing .. unless youre anal (and there's nothing wrong with that) .. better to change-em now than in the middle of a job .. besides, a good grip from a tight belt will give max performance

Descaling would depend on your usage and type of detergent used .. I did about 6-12 mo .. I noticed the need when the water isn't burning hot

My water inlet filter would get clogged slowly occasionally .. so check that weekly .. I had easy access .. easy to clean

Reactions: GCCLee and Russ T.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Every week? Shit my cds manual says every hundred hours and even then they usually dont take more than a pump at most. Wheres all that grease goin?

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Every week? Shit my cds manual says every hundred hours and even then they usually dont take more than a pump at most. Wheres all that grease goin?

The Cleanco I bought was a demo unit with 200 hrs on it .. shortly after is when my bearings and shaft went .. so the 5 min or so that it took to squeeze in a little was worth the effort .. yes - 1 pump if that is all it took - but the van was down for a month .. so I was gonna do whatever it took to avoid that situation again .. I grease my blower nips once a week in the busy season on my slide in ..

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Where is the zerks on the shaft? There's an obvious one next to my drivers seat. Is there another near the clutch by the engine? Is there ever a need to check the "alignment" of the shaft? Thanks.

The Clean Machine

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Is there ever a need to check the "alignment" of the shaft? Thanks.

sometimes they might move a tadd...go buy a straight edge to lay across the front pulleys...
NO not a yardstick...a straight edge!
i always put a felt tip mark on the shaft next to the saddle block...any movement would be seen right away........you can line the saddle block with a thin strip of rubber to tighten it up!

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T. and GCCLee

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
sometimes they might move a tadd...go buy a straight edge to lay across the front pulleys...
NO not a yardstick...a straight edge!
i always put a felt tip mark on the shaft next to the saddle block...any movement would be seen right away........you can line the saddle block with a thin strip of rubber to tighten it up!

I appreciate the advice but have no idea what you mean with the pulleys and the rubber and the saddle block. This is the first PTO I've ever owned or maintained. I, quite honestly, don't know exactly how it works...seems kinda magical to me right now . I do realize this is ignorance that will cost me $ down the road if I don't get to know my money maker. I really do appreciate the help and am not above driving down to KC to look over the guys shoulder for the first time. It will be good to talk to you guys at Mike Fest as well as Saiger.

The Clean Machine

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
looking forward to it Russ.....
i remember the first time i looked at a Steam Genie so i know exactly how you feel

Reactions: Russ T.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
4u6avamy.jpg

That aluminum block. Saddle block that holds the shaft behind the clutch.

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
It would be handy to have a template machined to lay over your pulleys allowing for any variance in pulley thicknesses. I set my pto to run true on the faces, but have wondered if you shouldnt account for the difference in widths.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Even though the Cleanco website will have the manual and suggested maintenance guidelines, I think it would still be worth going to the service dealer at least once. The service tech will know what parts you need to have on hand and can show you the easiest way to change a belt or find the grease fittings.

JoeClean

I've got a cleanco compact and there isn't too much to worry about compared to my old air-cooled slide-in.

The hose that runs from your fresh water tank to your pump has an inline filter that should be checked and cleaned periodically. If it gets clogged restricting the flow of freshwater, I noticed the pump will draw a lot more from the chem metering jug which is bad for the carpets.

My blower is dual oil splash so it has no grease fittings. Yours might be the same.
If you don't know if the blower and cat pump oil have ever been changed, do it or get it done on that 3 hr trip to the disty.
Keep a log of all these oil changes and van oil changes. Write down machine hours and van miles when you do.

If you ever suck waste water thru the blower, make sure you haven't built up deposits of crud on the blower. When the machine is off I reach down next to the drivers seat and give the pullley a spin to see if it turns freely. If you start to notice it is getting tight or sticky, run water thru the blower to flush it out. (If you wait too long it can seize up)
Make sure to let it run dry before shutting off.

Keep your blower filters in the waste tank clean! You'll notice if you forget. (Wetter carpets)

The vac guage on my panel is connected with a small quick connect like most of the other panel items.
This is kind of bad because it can give a lower than true vac reading if connector leaks. I overtightened my vac release in the
beginning before I noticed this.
There are no u-joints on the drive shaft for my cleanco and I haven't noticed any servicable grease fittings on it, but now I will check again.

There really isn't alot of maintenance to do on a cleanco.

Keep an eye on the hose clamps on the radiator lines that run to the heat exchanger. Had one go and dump most of the coolant out. Luckily I was driving and not working 3 floors up where I wouldn't notice until it was too late. I added a second one to each place that had one.
Some guys install a coolant temperature monitor on the truck engine that shuts engine down in case of overheating. I couldn't figure that one out and will someday regret it.

Installing a small dam to keep water overflows or leaks from running under the front flooring and seats is something I always do. That insulation takes forever to dry and will cause the floor to rot out.
Its been discussed before online. Angle iron or aluminum, screws, caulk, and planning.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I've got a cleanco compact and there isn't too much to worry about compared to my old air-cooled slide-in.

The hose that runs from your fresh water tank to your pump has an inline filter that should be checked and cleaned periodically. If it gets clogged restricting the flow of freshwater, I noticed the pump will draw a lot more from the chem metering jug which is bad for the carpets.

My blower is dual oil splash so it has no grease fittings. Yours might be the same.
If you don't know if the blower and cat pump oil have ever been changed, do it or get it done on that 3 hr trip to the disty.
Keep a log of all these oil changes and van oil changes. Write down machine hours and van miles when you do.

If you ever suck waste water thru the blower, make sure you haven't built up deposits of crud on the blower. When the machine is off I reach down next to the drivers seat and give the pullley a spin to see if it turns freely. If you start to notice it is getting tight or sticky, run water thru the blower to flush it out. (If you wait too long it can seize up)
Make sure to let it run dry before shutting off.

Keep your blower filters in the waste tank clean! You'll notice if you forget. (Wetter carpets)

The vac guage on my panel is connected with a small quick connect like most of the other panel items.
This is kind of bad because it can give a lower than true vac reading if connector leaks. I overtightened my vac release in the
beginning before I noticed this.
There are no u-joints on the drive shaft for my cleanco and I haven't noticed any servicable grease fittings on it, but now I will check again.

There really isn't alot of maintenance to do on a cleanco.

Keep an eye on the hose clamps on the radiator lines that run to the heat exchanger. Had one go and dump most of the coolant out. Luckily I was driving and not working 3 floors up where I wouldn't notice until it was too late. I added a second one to each place that had one.
Some guys install a coolant temperature monitor on the truck engine that shuts engine down in case of overheating. I couldn't figure that one out and will someday regret it.

Installing a small dam to keep water overflows or leaks from running under the front flooring and seats is something I always do. That insulation takes forever to dry and will cause the floor to rot out.
Its been discussed before online. Angle iron or aluminum, screws, caulk, and planning.

Excellent advise. Thanks for taking the time to do that! How hard is it for you to change the pump/blower fluid and belts?

I'm half way handy and definitely value the piece of mind that goes with knowing my machine. I'm not sure if I should drive @ 3 hours to KC or just roll up my sleeves and dive in when I get back from MF 10. Any advice? Thanks again!

The Clean Machine

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
You guys can try and figure out what needs to be done but what if:
Take the day off
Go to someone that knows how to service Truckmounts.
Do some shopping. Have a nice lunch. Go to a movie.
Should be a couple hundred if there our no issues that need attention.
No worries just make money

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
You guys can try and figure out what needs to be done but what if:
Take the day off
Go to someone that knows how to service Truckmounts.
Do some shopping. Have a nice lunch. Go to a movie.
Should be a couple hundred if there our no issues that need attention.
No worries just make money

Closest Cleanco distributer is @ 3 hours away, in KC. Interlink is 2.5 hours away in Omaha. This is why I intend on rarely visiting either one. Maintaining my rig isn't torture to me, once I get to know it.
I really do wish the distributer was much closer, I'd consider the lunch/shopping spree you mentioned.

The Clean Machine

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Once a year is all. They should do a complete service and check for other possible issues.
Also gives you a chance to come across something that might be useful for your business.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Mis alignment is a nightmare. check an make sure bolts are tight.

Thats belt shards built up
uvatysuj.jpg

Building a better bracket than the factory muffler clamps, lol
Fab is fun : ) just not when ya least expect it
enyqytav.jpg

Smokin on the job : )
mugatu3u.jpg

Sent from da middle of a Trailure park

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom