Rug cleaning pricing- what can you charge?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We groom when it's wet and when it comes off the rack, we vacuum and and groom again. We often have old rugs with well defined traffic areas that can't be groomed out completely. Just wondering if anyone has tried a vapor steamer with brush to groom?

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We use a vapor steamer when we have too and it usually works very well. It has done wonders on some rayon rugs which are becoming more common.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
The only thing I would question about your pricing is you charged separately for deodorizer, microban, stain removal. Wouldn't it be better to roll that into one category and charge one lump sum?

Why lump these together? They are all different from one another. Sanitizer is different than deodorizing. Stain removal is separate from deodorizing. Sometimes you may know for sure the chances of removing the stain from urine is slim to none but you know you can remove 99% of the odor...that's why you separate them.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Why lump these together? They are all different from one another. Sanitizer is different than deodorizing. Stain removal is separate from deodorizing. Sometimes you may know for sure the chances of removing the stain from urine is slim to none but you know you can remove 99% of the odor...that's why you separate them.
I'm not saying it's wrong, the way it is priced and I understand a separate charge for the microban to sanitize the entire carpet but I am thinking if you are working on a urine stain, sometimes it seems better to price it as a lump sum instead of breaking it down into the individual components. Are you really going to get a customer that says, "please take out the odor for $12.99 but I don't want to spend $14.99 on the stain removal"? I would rather explain the procedure to them, let them know risks and potential for success and charge an appropriate fee. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way I prefer to do it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Seem to work well for Hagopian and for all we know works well for their clients too.
Which is what really counts.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We use a vapor steamer when we have too and it usually works very well. It has done wonders on some rayon rugs which are becoming more common.
THAT is unfortunately true. And places like Restoration Hardware are charging thousands of dollars for them and leave it to us to give the buyer the bad news.

RH description of a rug that sells for as much as $15,000:
Master artisans knot this rug from long, silken yarns, creating concentric medallions inspired by vintage Moroccan tiles. Ambient light produces high and low tones across the rug's dense pile, which is evenly sheared for a smooth look and sumptuous feel. Our rugs are artisan crafted and no two are alike. Given their handwoven nature, slight variations in shading and size are inherent to the design. Imported. 100% viscose.

Check out this hooey from master crookster Ben Soleimani. See Ben's name on a tag, watch your step.

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Unfortunately, I have a customer that has a huge wool and viscose rug in one of her living rooms. Too big to be removed for cleaning. I have spot cleaned it gently but am dreading the day when she asks me to clean the whole thing. The rug is about 65% wool and 35% viscose. The viscose areas are the design features on the rug. I'm thinking when the time comes of using a absorbent powder with a soft brush pro machine. I have the black soft brushes. I don't know what she paid but I think it is about 24 x 20. I have been down to one of our local (high end) rug shops and they have a 9 x 12 viscose rug hanging on the wall for $6000.00

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
THAT is unfortunately true. And places like Restoration Hardware are charging thousands of dollars for them and leave it to us to give the buyer the bad news.

RH description of a rug that sells for as much as $15,000:
Master artisans knot this rug from long, silken yarns, creating concentric medallions inspired by vintage Moroccan tiles. Ambient light produces high and low tones across the rug's dense pile, which is evenly sheared for a smooth look and sumptuous feel. Our rugs are artisan crafted and no two are alike. Given their handwoven nature, slight variations in shading and size are inherent to the design. Imported. 100% viscose.

Check out this hooey from master crookster Ben Soleimani. See Ben's name on a tag, watch your step.

This is a great video, these rugs are not made to last forever. Most people buying these will replace them in less than 10 years. They're being produced to use and throw out not to use and hand down. It's unfortunate because to me the heritage and history is what makes the older peices so interesting. However, I do see the value and "cool" factor to these new pieces. Like it or not they are here to stay.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Unfortunately, I have a customer that has a huge wool and viscose rug in one of her living rooms. Too big to be removed for cleaning. I have spot cleaned it gently but am dreading the day when she asks me to clean the whole thing. The rug is about 65% wool and 35% viscose. The viscose areas are the design features on the rug. I'm thinking when the time comes of using a absorbent powder with a soft brush pro machine. I have the black soft brushes. I don't know what she paid but I think it is about 24 x 20. I have been down to one of our local (high end) rug shops and they have a 9 x 12 viscose rug hanging on the wall for $6000.00
Interesting, this particular customer called me in a panic last night because someone spilled their Perrier water on the rug. I suggested that she take a thick white towel and leave it on the spot overnight to absorb it. I am going to clean it tomorrow. Any reason that Perrier would leave anything but a water stain?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Interesting, this particular customer called me in a panic last night because someone spilled their Perrier water on the rug. I suggested that she take a thick white towel and leave it on the spot overnight to absorb it. I am going to clean it tomorrow. Any reason that Perrier would leave anything but a water stain?
I was that customers today and here is what her silk? Probably viscose rug looked like. One rug has been price tag of 79,000.00. I'm sure the other one is about the same

Attachments

• IMG_20160411_141124.jpg
    IMG_20160411_141124.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20160411_125606.jpg
    IMG_20160411_125606.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_20160411_125601.jpg
    IMG_20160411_125601.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20160411_125554.jpg
    IMG_20160411_125554.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 306

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I only recently starting taking out rugs. I drop them down the road and they clean them. They have a nice setup with everything you should need. I charge anywhere from 3-7 a square ft. for anything except silk, which is more. People pay it without blinking an eye. I had the largest increase in income ever last year. Wish I had started sooner.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The label says 100% wool?

If the customer isn't lying about what they spilled, a little steam and picking the nap up with a fine bristle carding brush should do the trick.

Reactions: Brian H

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
When you look closely at the label, second line, what does it say. Seems to me like 100% art silk or something like that. We brushed it out with a carding brush and a little steam and it seems like it's gone and theres the rub, is the customer lying and to what point. Maybe they just don't know. Perrier water is just carbonated water, you wouldn't think it would leave a mark like that. It had crusted a little on top. White crusting.

Name
Nate W.
Wasn't the yorkster post boneting? Everything gets two turns in the duster

Yes, it was for post bonneting to soften up the fibers... I thought you was asking the name of the machine...

Post dusting is fkn awesome if you have a tumbler to do so... The vacuum/Pile Lifter works too but a lot slower and more time consuming...

What was that machine He was pushing the rug finisher with the square pad on it?

Floor sander with a pad on it. The finisher!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom