Rug Cleaning Services Are Worth Hiring When Needed (So says IICRC)

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Rug Cleaning Services Are Worth Hiring When Needed

02/19/16 7:48 PM

Who needs professional rug cleaning services when there is an abundance of DIY tips out there? The result will just not be the same! No matter how large the piece is, or how much it cost, having a certified technician clean, repair, and restore it will preserve its condition and prolong its life.

Area rugs can collect dirt, odors, allergens, and discolorations from the ongoing foot traffic it endures day in and day out. While frequent vacuuming and spot treatment is helpful, it is imperative to have a skilled technician do comprehensive maintenance every now and then. The more foot-traffic it is exposed to, the more often it will need a good cleaning.

When an IICRC-certified technician is hired for rug cleaning services they will begin by analyzing the material and determining what repairs and/or cleaning needs to occur. Once transported off-site they will start with a thorough vacuuming, spot removal and other repairs, followed by a good rinse. A pre-tested product is applied and worked in utilizing a gentle agitating brush before being rinsed and dried. The majority of the water held within the fibers is drawn out using a centrifuge or other means and is then hung for final drying to avoid any problems associated with improper drying. Appearance touch-ups such as a final pile brushing and combing the fringe are done prior to its return to the home.

This process is much more involved than any simple do-it-yourself attempt; therefore leaving it to the pros is an ideal option. The IICRC’s website and online referrals are ideal approaches to locating a reputable certified firm. Homeowners can rest assure that those currently certified by the IICRC are aware of the latest techniques and equipment, have the proper skills, and abide by the organization’s strict standards. Instead of an eye sore on the floor, the piece can now be a focal point of the room once again.

Cleaning A Rug Is Not A Simple Task
11/12/15 6:13 PM

Cleaning a rug is not as easy as it sounds, at least if the owner wants to treat it thoroughly. These pieces are soil gathering hotspots and can suck up several pounds of dirt and grime in a short time. If this soil is not removed promptly, it can damage the fibers, making it more difficult to salvage the rug. Regular treatment should be a primary goal, and it should be done with professional assistance.

Before a professional starts cleaning a rug, they have to inspect it for any damage. If there are no apparent problems, the first thing to do is to vacuum up any loose, dry soil from in between the fibers. After that, a technician will apply some water and a gentle agent, and then agitate it with a device that uses soft rotation. After thorough rinsing, the rug is extracted or spun in a centrifuge to extract most of the water. The rest of the drying process is handled on a rack. It will typically take several hours, and technicians will inspect it regularly during the process to look for any missed stains or other spots of damage. If no further issues are found, the rug will be returned to the owner once it dries.

Area Rug Cleaning Needs To Be Handled Properly
05/8/15 5:36 PM

Area rug cleaning is essential to maintain the appearance and durability of the piece, and homeowners that want to keep their Oriental or Persian rug in good health will need to have it cleaned regularly. It takes a lot of specialized knowledge to handle such delicate and significant pieces, so most respected firms in the industry have been around for many years and have their own process for effective treatment. However, most firms tend to adhere fairly closely to a standard formula for treatment, and the process typically only takes a day or two.

The first part of the area rug cleaning process is an inspection and dry soil removal. Once the technician gives the piece a good look-over to spot any stains or damage, the rug is vibrated by a specialized machine to shake loose any dry soil. After all of the dry soil is removed, the piece is either submerged in a full-immersion bath or gently scrubbed down with a push machine. In either case, slight agitation and mild detergents are used to neutralize deep soils. A centrifuge that spins the rug and pulls water out of it is part of the drying process. This just takes minutes. The rug is then hung from a drying rack to complete the process.

With regular treatment, a homeowner can keep their area rug in excellent condition and looking like it did the day it was purchased.

Mikey P

Administrator
How much time would a home owner have to spend on YouTube to figure out the basics?

Vacuum front and back
Get wet
Apply some Woolitems or Tide
Scrub with broom
Pressure wash
Shop Vac
Hang on fence
Save $400.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
How much time would a home owner have to spend on YouTube to figure out the basics?

Vacuum front and back
Get wet
Apply some Woolitems or Tide
Scrub with broom
Pressure wash
Shop Vac
Hang on fence
Save $400.

You forgot...

Bleed out the rug
Dries crusty
Fringes brown
Pile is distorted
Backing gets delaminated
Dries out of square

Bring it to me, spend $400+ fixing your own mess

Reactions: Brian H

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Host would do a nice job and with few risks for a do it yourselfer.

It would have few negative consequences and should clean well, especially if used as maintenance and not delayed until it needs corrective cleaning.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Went to pick up a rug at one of my dry cleaner agents the other day. Turned out it was viscose. Told the dry cleaner that I would only clean it at the owners risk. I only looked at the corner of the rug where the tag was. He had the owner call me and she explained that she had been cleaning it herself. She put it on her driveway and brushed it with mr. clean or something and also cleaned it with her own household machine with no adverse results. Encouraged by her call, I picked up the rug and when I unrolled it. It looked like it had been submerged in a swamp. The pile was all matted and shaded in different directions. If she thinks that doesn't look bad, I guess I will clean it and who care what it looks like.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Sometimes I just don't care. If the customer insists, against my better judgement, It's just money to me. Like the drug dealers say, " if I didn't do it, someone else will"

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
Yep. Some people just don't care. They will go brizerk if you damage something of theirs but if they do the same think it's an oops. Reminded of the saying "bitches be crazy"

Mikey P

Administrator
Went to pick up a rug at one of my dry cleaner agents the other day. Turned out it was viscose. Told the dry cleaner that I would only clean it at the owners risk. I only looked at the corner of the rug where the tag was. He had the owner call me and she explained that she had been cleaning it herself. She put it on her driveway and brushed it with mr. clean or something and also cleaned it with her own household machine with no adverse results. Encouraged by her call, I picked up the rug and when I unrolled it. It looked like it had been submerged in a swamp. The pile was all matted and shaded in different directions. If she thinks that doesn't look bad, I guess I will clean it and who care what it looks like.
Look for the pork chop.

She cant recall what it ever looked like pile wise. There is a stain or stains she cant get put herself, make those disappear and she tell all her freinds.

Ron K

I tell people to clean their own grout all the time The prices they charge for cleaning Stone and Concrete is absolutely a rip-off. They say clean the Teerazou often ha ha what a joke! It's soft yeah try chewing it.

Mikey P

Administrator
Great point...

How many well sealed floors have any of us here on MB, mopped down a cleaner on and saw right away that just a little agitation and mopping it back up would have done the trick...

Many.

Reactions: Ron K

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom