Rug tagging

J. Brightwell

Name
David Moynihan
I'm looking for suggestions for a good product for tagging rugs during the in-take process. I'm using wire and paper tags right now but the wire I get from Uline doesn't work well for thick rugs.

Thanks

J. Brightwell

Name
David Moynihan
Have you tried lacing the wire through the fringe or edging/ binding?
Yes. The wire is OK for most rugs, it's just an issue with the larger, machine made, thick rugs, no fringe. I'm sure I can get a heavy wire but wanted to see what other options are available.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
We used the wire with tyvek tags for a long time. We had the same issues with getting them to attach to thicker rugs.

I'd suggest using a clothing tagging gun with the 1" fasteners and a tyvek material for the tag. When you attach the tag be sure to use 3 or 4 fasteners in the same hole to insure it won't fall off during the cleaning process.

You can have the tags made up custom for your company at xpresstags.com

Ron K

Tack-it guns work great. I've seen customers leave tags with wire on and then seen extensive wood floor damage occur. I always make sure to tell the customer to call the company on the tags and send them the wood floor refinishing bill. Tyvek or plastic tags work best with a brass grommet. Make sure the marker you use doesn't crock off either.

Ron K

When you attach the tag be sure to use 3 or 4 fasteners in the same hole to insure it won't fall off during the cleaning process.
Look for Nylon fasteners and you won't have that problem we only use two per rug. The ones that break easily are Polyprop.

Reactions: Mikey P

Ron K

Get plastic Tags with brass grommets. Red Paper around aluminum grommets on some tags can bleed in wash.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You can buy tyvek from U-Line or a number of other suppliers in several colors. Pretty tough and not as expensive as plastic tags. You can typically spec your wire weight as well, but poking a small hole with an awl will let you use the lightest wire. The key is to make sure your awl (or needle) point is rounded. You want to push fiber aside, not tear through it.

Like some have mentioned we've had poor luck with clothing taggers, but will acknowledge things may have changed in the 20 years since we last tried them.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Ron K

TACH-IT microspaced barbs by
Ben Clements and Sons
South Hakensack NJ 07606
No 650
Made with Nylon 66

Cheese
Lug Nuts
and
Endoplasmick Reclileum!

Reactions: cleanking