rug washing waste water

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Hey Tom or anyone else, I'm looking to buy a recently closed rug cleaning plant that's been in operation for over 50 years. The owner died. All the soapy water seems to be going down a floor drain that no one knows where it goes. Will I have problems with the EPA if I re-open this operation with this set up? Where do most operations drain their water? Thanks.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I would call the county water and sewer department and ask them to come take a look. The place is out of business and there is no repurcussions on your for asking. if they won't I would call my county commissioner and have him get someone out there.
Hey Tom or anyone else, I'm looking to buy a recently closed rug cleaning plant that's been in operation for over 50 years. The owner died. All the soapy water seems to be going down a floor drain that no one knows where it goes. Will I have problems with the EPA if I re-open this operation with this set up? Where do most operations drain their water? Thanks.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
You need to find out if they are on sewer or septic. If septic, the sale of the building will normally include a standard soil testing. Depending on the classification of use on file, depends on what level the epa will test. You want it tested prior to purchase so any clean up that needs to be done will be on the seller.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Kevin,
Most operations drain to sanitary sewer.

You do have to find out before going any farther. I know a guy that found out a few years ago that all of his bathrooms in an older building went to a sanitary sewer, but the wash water went to a storm sewer. No one knew until a "green patrol" saw suds in a waterway and traced it back to his plant. He was shut down until the floor drain could be connected to the sanitary sewer, and the city government didn't seem to care about how long it took them to make the connection.

I don't think a bank would make a loan on a commercial property that had any potential contamination issues, so just raising the question should get the seller to hire someone to find out where the drain goes.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Pay the money and have a plumber check it out not the city !

Incidentally, when I was setting up my current shop the plumber tied into the the gutter downspout drain instead of the sewer
city inspector caught it before we poured concrete.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Pay the money and have a plumber check it out not the city !

Incidentally, when I was setting up my current shop the plumber tied into the the gutter downspout drain instead of the sewer
city inspector caught it before we poured concrete.

did you call his ass on it :madd:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
The plumber fixed it no charge ASAP...he's a family friend and serves on the state contractors board actually it wasn't really his fault. The sewer drain is black 3" abs the down spout drain should be green abs 3" by code but it's not it's black 3" ABS (there's a unit behind mine) so the plumber assumed they where both sewer drains. At least it was fixed before we poured 14 yards of concrete over it.To me it's the city's fault because that's not code and it wasn't code when built yet the city inspected and approved it. In reality, it's never the city's fault or problem it's yours and they could care less about your time and money but they will do their job wasting all of your time and money.

Back to the point which is why you should have a plumber look at it not the city.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
It all depends where you are.

RiverWashing485221_361756663932271_1519906952_n_zpsa781cb95.jpg

Check with local ordinances and/or the municipality.

prodrying

I'm with Randy on this one. Call a plumber, don't get the city involved if you don't have to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom