Ruggie question...What is up w/ this rug??

-JB-

Name
JB
WTF is up w/ this rug??

I know/ the custy knows it was "tea stained", but it also looks like it was hand colored as well, notice that the dark red only just goes just to the edge of the floral prints.

Was wondering if it was waaay strong acid washed, lost color and they went back by hand and added it in? :? Sound feasible?

Any expert advice would be welcomed.

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

PS. NO I haven't cleaned it yet.

Attachments

• DSCF0040.jpg
    DSCF0040.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 117

-JB-

Name
JB
Re: Ruggie question...WTF is up w/ this rug??

Appears to be.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker

I dont know but is there secret messages written in the red area? I see a bat. :D

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

It is hard to tell just by looking, but many rugs in the fifties were done with analine dyes that bleed and fade.
Many "dealers" just hand correct them which may mean a lot of problems for the un suspecting cleaner.

Test. Test and............
Test.
Release, release, rlease.......... as in client sign a release of liability.
Dye lock may help.
Good luck. let us know how it turned out.
Ofer

rhyde

Name
rhyde

The red was painted the original color being a rust/salmon color as these rugs wear down the painting shows less even over time the rugs is a persian sarouk or dergazine from the 1920-40's

it's hand woven & NOT tea stained

-JB-

Name
JB

so the painting was done for....??

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

The rugs were originally woven in coral/salmon, which was not popular in the US. Since the US had become one of the world's richest nations by the 20s, sharp importers brought the rugs in and had them hand dyed to a more popular burgundy color. Rug Renovators in New York used to have dozens of people with dye containers on the wall behind them with a tube leading to a dye pen, all for coloring out the salmon. Later rugs were woven using burgundy wool. Sort of fun that the most popular color for machine made rugs, and the color most Americans associate with an Oriental rug, was popularized this way.

This is one 'painted' rug that will not bleed, although your second picture shows a spot of what looks like wear or insect damaged that has been colored. Those areas may bleed or the color may wash away.

John Watson

what a great example of a painted sarouk, this shows it so one can understand what it is. You can see the different colors The salmon, the burgundy. Randy and Bryan have described it in such a clear picture on how they and why they did this to the rugs. Great job Guys...

WISE

Learn something new everyday...

Thanks guys.

WISE

John Watson

Hey Burrass, show a picture of the back, like a corner floped over so we can see front and back to compare.. Thanks.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
It was exactly as Ozman said and was done to make it marketable to US tastes. Hel;d up pretty weel for 70 to 90 years, hope I look as good.

John Watson

Thanks John for the additional photo's.

For those who have not taken a rug cleaning class, This is why it is so important to look at the back. You can plainly see the orriginal colors. This is one of the best examples I have seen a great teaching aid

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom