Rule of thumb for tile and Grout What ya think?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I was talking to someone about tile and grout cleaning and they asked me to compile a short list of basic rules that could use to not screw up. Here is what I came up with off the top of my head. Tell me what you think?

Here are the rules ?
1., Identify- You need to know if it is a natural or man made tile and if it has wax or sealer.
-to identify if it is natural stone you put a small dot of your acid cleaner (carried in a 4oz flip top bottle) in a inconspicuous
area. If it bubbles then it is a natural stone and you do NOT want to use any sort of acid cleaner on it. There is one exception and that is SOME form of Slate that are acid Insensitive but to be safe treat slate as any other natural stone until you are 100% confident.
-To test for wax put a small dot of your stripper (carried in a 4oz flip top bottle) in an inconspicuous area. Let is sit for 5 minutes or so while you inspect the floor. If there is wax present it will turn goey and sticky.

2. NEVER use acid cleaners on natural stone only alkaline (see above for the ONLY exception to this rule)

3. Alkaline is safe on all floors

4. Always ask if Mop and Glow has ever been used on the floor. If yes RUN AWAY FAST! (Exception to this rule is charge $9 per sq ft) search mop and glow on dirtygrout.com

5. If there is wax on the floor charge double your normal rate. It can be taken off but it is a HUGE pain.

6. NEVER put wax back on a floor you just removed it from unless it is VCT and you where actually getting paid to strip and wax VCT. ?

7. ALWAYS map the floor plan and mark any missing, chipped, cracked tiles and any separated, cracked, missing grout.

8. ALWAYS mask off stainless steel appliances.

9. ALWAYS mask off baseboards making sure that little to no water can seep under them. MDF Baseboards will pop and swell QUICK and there is no fixing only replacing.

10. Everything you tell your customer before you start is education, everything you tell them after is an excuse ?

RickL

I have seen some supposed alakaline cleaners dull marble so I would say should but test a small area.
Also You forgot to mention the method of testing the grout using Acid and looking for foaming (mention shaking the acid before applying I've had problems)
Number 6 I would change to any topical not just wax becuse it's gonna look s%^t in a couple mths.

Good job though!!! (but if they do a bunch of commercial they will still get burned by a couple)

TimP

Also check for hollow tiles by tapping on tiles gently with a stick of some sort. High pressure and or heat can crack hollow tiles. Make customer aware before hand of possibility. A scratch test also can reveal if it's shone or ceramic tile, not all stone will react to acid but there are even exceptions to that rule as granite probably wont scratch and has it's own problems and characteristics to worry about when cleaning although granite on floors is rare.....

Only use products that are labeled for tile/carpet cleaning.....

I don't agree with the wax and mop n glow comment. Wax/floor finish is as difficult to remove as mop n glow from grout.

My two cents from the top of my head.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
The difference between mop and glo and wax is if the lady of the house was using mop and glo they where most likely using it for many many years so you end up with hundreds of layers of wax where if it had been waxed it might be 4 coats you have to remove.

The tapping is a very good trick thanks :)

I didn't put in the scratch test as I tried to keep it real simple. I don't want anyone just starting pulling out their pocket knife in from of the Mrs. and start scraping away on her floor :)

Those where good Tim any more?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
x) Work in manageable sections that will allow you to control the acceptable dwell time for the cleaning agent you are using. Some products can actually infuse soiling deeper into porous grout if left too long on the surface. Under no circumstance let the cleaner to dry on the surface being cleaned.

x) Make sure the condition of any grout is consistent with the appropriate method of agitation being used to emulsify soil. (E.G. Too high of rinse pressure on HWE tools, or too stiff and aggressive of a brush can exacerbate damage to loosened grout.)

x) Pre-inspect the work area noting any damaged or loose grout, loose or cracked tile, excessive lippage or any other preexisting defect that might become an issue after you have completed the work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom