Running the MYTEE Escape off a V6 or V8 in idle

Name
I'm Rick James
I was reading the other ETM thread hovering around and no one really talked about it running off the actual van itself or maybe I missed it. I have read on the intronet that a V6 or V8 uses around if not less than a gallon of fuel per hour. Does the alternator in those vans have the power to run the Standard ETM? And would it cause any damage to the van as it idles?

I would just run the ETM off the van as it idles.. have it auto dump in the Mytee waste tank... then use a LG to heat the water, they are better than most HX anyways. Probably save you over a 1000 lbs in weight alone too.

Obviously the ETM isnt for every O/O, but majority of our jobs need only 100 ft or so anyways.

Would it also have the power to run the vac booster too?

Name
John LaBarbera
Re: Running the MYTEE EMT off a V6 or V8 in idle

bdwa said:
I was reading the other EMT thread hovering around and no one really talked about it running off the actual van itself or maybe I missed it. I have read on the intronet that a V6 or V8 uses around if not less than a gallon of fuel per hour. Does the alternator in those vans have the power to run the Standard EMT? And would it cause any damage to the van as it idles?

I would just run the EMT off the van as it idles.. have it auto dump in the Mytee waste tank... then use a LG to heat the water, they are better than most HX anyways. Probably save you over a 1000 lbs in weight alone too.

Obviously the EMT isnt for every O/O, but majority of our jobs need only 100 ft or so anyways.

Would it also have the power to run the vac booster too?

Yes, the Escape Plus runs off the truck engine. It can also run off household current. The generator looks like a large alternator but they are different. The gen that we recommend with the Escape Plus is an 11,000 watt gen more than enough power for the ETM and a 360 and we ran a 1 1/2 hp floor machine at Mikeyfest. You don't need LP with the heat exchangers running off the engine. The truck engine produces a clean electric Sine wave (you can run your computer of this with no spikes) and hot water.

Yes, it could run a booster (but you won't need it, it has a lot of power) and a rotary.

John I see the benefits kind of in a machine like this for one reason. It can be installed in a very small 4 cylinder truck.

My current rig maybe gets 7 mpg and of course drinks gas running on high all day.

Even if the machine does run off the van engine to heat the water and power the motors, a cleaner would still save a ton driving a vehicle that gets 25 plus mpg. I know I for one am ready to make a switch.

How many cords are required to power the machine.

Sorry I'm still a little confused over this machine.

What would be the ideal vehicle and application for this machine?

Name
I'm Rick James

So the vans stock alternator can power the Escape just fine and maybe a booster while in idle?

Name
John LaBarbera

bdwa said:
So the vans stock alternator can power the Escape just fine and maybe a booster while in idle?

No. The generator looks like a big alternator but it is not the same. The alternator remains on the truck but the generator is an add on. The generator also comes with the inverter and throttle control.

Name
John LaBarbera

danielc said:
John I see the benefits kind of in a machine like this for one reason. It can be installed in a very small 4 cylinder truck.

My current rig maybe gets 7 mpg and of course drinks gas running on high all day.

Even if the machine does run off the van engine to heat the water and power the motors, a cleaner would still save a ton driving a vehicle that gets 25 plus mpg. I know I for one am ready to make a switch.

How many cords are required to power the machine.

Sorry I'm still a little confused over this machine.

What would be the ideal vehicle and application for this machine?

I like my Nissan NV. It gets mid-teen on the fuel so not the greatest in that regard but it has plenty of power (V8) and room and height in the back for other equipment. It is also unbelievably confortable. The company that makes the generator (Aura Systems) has mounting brackets for Ford, Chev and GM. Mine was the first Nissan NV, they are working on a Sprinter set-up.

Cords? I'm working on that and may have something to show in a week or so.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins

John:

Keep up the good work.

The only way that I would buy/run one is if I had onboard power. My idea was to use an old Butler shaft that I had to run a generator. But now your saying it can be mounted under the hood? That’s definitely better for compactness. Now I’m waiting on buying until I can get this all researched. I am interested in “what Generator Co. makes a bracket kit to fit most common vans engines”?

Sincerely,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

Dale

Name
Dale Collins

John:

Keep up the good work.

The only way that I would buy/run one is if I had onboard power. My idea was to use an old Butler shaft that I had to run a generator. But now your saying it can be mounted under the hood? That’s definitely better for compactness. Now I’m waiting on buying until I can get this all researched. I am interested in “what Generator Co. makes a bracket kit to fit most common vans engines”?

Sincerely,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

Name
John LaBarbera

Dale said:
John:

Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,
Dale
http://www.flooringinspector.com

Thank you. I found your comments interesting. A few years before we had Mikeyfest here in San Diego I had bought 2 conventional generators to build up this ETM. I've been working on it for quite a while. VoltMaster the gen company that I was working with also had pto gens. I contacted them about what I wanted to do and they directed me to Aura Systems. That how I found them. They fabricated the bracket for their gen to fit my NV. They also make brackets for GM and Ford. They're working on a Sprinter bracket.

Name
I'm Rick James

John LaBarbera said:
bdwa said:

No. The generator looks like a big alternator but it is not the same. The alternator remains on the truck but the generator is an add on. The generator also comes with the inverter and throttle control.

I may of missed the post, but what is the price to install it with a standard van?

Name
I'm Rick James

John LaBarbera said:
bdwa said:

I may of missed the post, but what is the price to install it with a standard van?

Name
John LaBarbera

bdwa said:
John LaBarbera said:
bdwa said:

The install is a dist. charge. My guess is approx $800.00 for the gen, HX, and ETM

If it just the ETM you could do the install yourself

Dale

Name
Dale Collins

Hi John:

I researched the generator manufacturer also. I did not see where they made mounting kits for the popular vans that Carpet Cleaners use (#1 would be late model 4.8L gm vans). Do you know of something different? While it is possible to make our own brackets, I’ve done that one time development thing before and know that nothing beats mass production. If you do not have the info now, please keep me in mind and PE me when you get it.

Also if we’re going to be running the van’s engine anyway to tie into the antifreeze line, (for pre-heating the water for temperatures before the pump) we could add an antifreeze exchanger to boost the heat to +220 (after the pump) when we use the generator. After-all, coolant is way hotter than what a 205 thermostat keeps the vital parts at, coming directly off the engine. The reason that antifreeze exchangers alone do not normally produce over 200 is they simply can’t keep up with flow. This is easily seen by turning one down to a trickle and reading the temp gauge. With pre and post-heated water, we'd have 180 degrees when we use the Consumer's electricty, and 220 when we ran our generator.

Sincerely,
Dale

Name
John LaBarbera

Dale said:
Hi John:

I researched the generator manufacturer also. I did not see where they made mounting kits for the popular vans that Carpet Cleaners use (#1 would be late model 4.8L gm vans). Do you know of something different? While it is possible to make our own brackets, I’ve done that one time development thing before and know that nothing beats mass production. If you do not have the info now, please keep me in mind and PE me when you get it.

Also if we’re going to be running the van’s engine anyway to tie into the antifreeze line, (for pre-heating the water for temperatures before the pump) we could add an antifreeze exchanger to boost the heat to +220 (after the pump) when we use the generator. After-all, coolant is way hotter than what a 205 thermostat keeps the vital parts at, coming directly off the engine. The reason that antifreeze exchangers alone do not normally produce over 200 is they simply can’t keep up with flow. This is easily seen by turning one down to a trickle and reading the temp gauge. With pre and post-heated water, we'd have 180 degrees when we use the Consumer's electricty, and 220 when we ran our generator.

Sincerely,
Dale
I'll see if I can get a list of mounting brackets for various brands of trucks. Your comments on the antifreeze booster are very interesting. Can you tell us more about them. How are they plumbed, and how is the temps boosted?

Thanks.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins

Hi John:

What I meant; in that the plan was to have the water tank pre-heated with a coolant coil, that would have to be regulated to be 160-180 degrees to protect the pump. Then in-line with the same coolant line (which is coming off the engine before the thermostat) would be a coolant exchanger, like a HeliCoil, or Butler or HyrdraMaster that would post-pump heat the solution. These will give a gain of 40-60 degrees, (even @ 2-3 GPM flow) and because they are in front of the thermostat, they can go about 220 degrees.

So there would be decent heat when using the Consumers electricity, and great heat when using the generator.

Sincerely,
Dale

Name
Jesse

I don't want to answer for John but I'm pretty sure that the etm was running traditional coolant exchangers at MF. I don't know much about the NV van but I do know that my Ford 5.4 will not produce hotter than 180ish with a 187F(I think) thermostat unless your driving it really hard. Running at 1500-1700 rpms even in the summer the coolant coming out of the block isn't getting over 190F. My older Ford 5.8 will put out 210-215 at 1500rpm after it's run for awhile.

Name
John LaBarbera

Out Of Character said:
I don't want to answer for John but I'm pretty sure that the etm was running traditional coolant exchangers at MF. I don't know much about the NV van but I do know that my Ford 5.4 will not produce hotter than 180ish with a 187F(I think) thermostat unless your driving it really hard. Running at 1500-1700 rpms even in the summer the coolant coming out of the block isn't getting over 190F. My older Ford 5.8 will put out 210-215 at 1500rpm after it's run for awhile.

yes they were traditional coolant heat exchangers.

The coolant heater booster has got me thinking. That idea has potential. Thank you, Dale.

Name
Lee Stockwell

Ah but it depends on WHERE you pull the water off the block or head. The cooling fluid is not homogenized, there are hot and cooler spots in any system.

Name
I'm Rick James
How much for the beefed up alternator and is that all you would need.

I use to own a van that had a standard power plug in the back of the van that ran off the van alternator.. I never used it or knew what it was used for, but is that similar to the Escape set up?

What about the van standard alternator powering a couple of batteries and run the Escape off that?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Brent the Aura unit puts out 10x the wattage of a typical truck alternator, and is part of a package that includes a very heavy duty inverter-controlller unit.

John posted pix of each installed in his new Nissan van, along with pricing info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom