Running Truckmount on a slope

aaronpix

Name
Aaron Pix
Hi Folks. First post on MB have been in business for 1.5 years in Australia. Was at a job today where the driveway was on a steep slope and was wondering if this is not good for the TM. I suppose we drive cars up and down hills so maybe I'm being paranoid but the TM cost me a lot if money and want it be sure. Thanks Aaron

Name
Lee Stockwell
Running under load for hours on a steep slope is a problem.

Waste tank may not function properly, with potential blower damage.
Water box may not function properly.

Fluid levels, oil, coolant, could be a problem as well.

I will usually run extra hose to get to a more level truck position.

Welcome to Mikey's board Aaron!

Reactions: spotman123

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Excellent post, Aaron.
I was wondering about that too, as in S.F. we sometime have to run it for hours while either on a front/back or a side slope.
I use a CDS or Pro 1200, both PTO's, I don't know if that matters or not. So far, no damage that I know of. However I was (am) always concerned about it.
I was told that to the van's engine it will not do any damage.

1. Does it have a potential of damage to the van's engine?
  2. Potential damage to a PTO?
  3. Potential damage to a slide in?
  4. Does it matter if the slope is front/back or side way?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Just keep in mind that all of your pumps have oil reservoirs that are designed to work in a min and max or plus or minus angle spec.

For a cat pump the oil level needs to be through the red dot on the view window in the back of the pump. As well your blower is design to have part of the bottom of the gear/gears( depending if your blower is horizontal or vertical) submerged in oil and the gear it self is what is distributing the oil to the entire casing or gear housing.

So if your at an extreme angle ( sorry but I am a janitor and don't know exactly what the extreme angle for your truck would be) you are in fact in a position to cause your pumps or motor an oil starvation type scenario. So keep that in mind, also contact the manufacturer as they should have some testing data to give you as a response.

Reactions: spotman123

spotman123

Name
Wayne foster
Yes angle does play a factor. I too always try to park level, even if it means running an extra 50' of hose.

Ron K

Never really had an issue. Ran my first TM about14 years. Would think every once and a while wouldn't be an issue 24-7 maybe.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I looked at a few blower manuals, and could not find a spec on maximum angle, but if you visualize the oil and how the gears sit in it, I would think the max angle is pretty generous.

I did find a spec for Kohler engines, it lists 25 degrees (for both horizontal and vertical engines, curiously) as maximum. This corresponds to a 46% grade, pretty steep. Unless your van is parked such that you're afraid it will tip over, I don't see a huge problem.

View attachment 4821

View attachment 4822

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks, Dan.
Very helpful.
I've done it for years, here in S.F. with my CDS, never had a damage that I know (or am aware of) to be caused by it. However I am always concerned about it.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The old Ford straight six (discontinued in 96) would oil starve to the point of destruction on whatever end of the engine was higher, even on moderate slopes, but that was a design flaw. We haven't seen any problems here in Hill Valley (Seattle) running CDS PTOs, so only go out of our way to avoid hills to make loading and unloading easier.

Check with the maker of your equipment to see if they have specific recommendations?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Had to chock the wheel on one the other morning.

Steep enough I got water in the blower and blew the goo on the drive : (

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
you blew the goo on the drive .......?
i hope you rinsed the blower out wit clear water.........

you HAD to be faced nose down...for that to happen!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Yes nose down

Would have taken 100' to get it flat so i chances it.

Came close : )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom