steve_64

Liquid iron out not the powder.

Wink for tougher spots.

Not sure about the wool though.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The thing that's giving me hesitation to use my Matrix rust remover is the ph. It's .5-1 ph. I think that's rather low. And it says stain resistant safe and doesn't mention wool

Harvards and Master blends rust remover has a ph of around 3 which seems safer. Does anyone know if those would be safer?

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Our best and quickest acting remover was hydrofluoric. It seems to be more difficult to source now and the other chemicals suppliers sell are just not as effective, quite often leaving faint residues. This extract may be helpful - from a conservation site for museum boffins
roro

"Textiles with iron rust stains can be treated with any of the following chemical solutions:
  1. 5 percent hydrochloric acid [muriatic acid (HCl)]
  2. 5 percent oxalic acid H2C2O4
  3. 10 percent hydrofluoric acid (HF)
  4. 5 percent EDTA disodium
  5. 5 percent acetic acid (CH3COOH)
  6. 5 percent formic acid (HCOOH or CH2O2)
  7. 2-10 percent ammonium citrate

Oxalic acid and hydrofluoric acid solutions are the most effective for removing iron stains from archaeological textiles. Extreme caution must be taken, however, when handling hydrofluoric acid. EDTA disodium and ammonium citrate solutions are often recommended because their higher pHs (>2.5) potentially do less damage to fibers. These solutions are effective but rather slow. After any chemical treatment, intensive rinsing in de-ionized water will remove all residue from the textile which may adversely affect the fibers over time."

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
Probably not wool safe but interesting.. Screenshot_20180819-052446_Amazon Shopping.jpg

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
The majority of carpet in the Antipodes is wool.

I have removed rust quickly and effectively with Hydrofluoric Acid with no damage to the wool countless times.

Don't get the solution on your finger nails as it fkn hurts.

Allegedly it leaches calcium from your bones.

Apart from that it is safe.

Back
Top Bottom