RX 20 Retrofit

Clark

The wheels on the floor make this thing run so much better. NO BACK PROBLEMS. I think I will clean it up a bit.

Picture.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I would bet that is not going to be fun going up and down stairs unless you plan on carrying it.....

Name
John LaBarbera
We builds ours with 10" wheels. We also change the handle locking mechanism, too. I can understand why you changed the one on your RX. I'll post some pictures on Monday

John

Name
George Valliant
Very nice!

I can't run my RX's anymore cuz I got the tendonitis in my right elbow.

I bet this retrofit would solve me problem.

Are they available for purchase or is it a prototype?

Greenie

Have you actually extracted with it?

Something tells me, you need to test this baby out.

Name
George Valliant
Jeff,

Actually I haven't really needed the RX since you sold me the Greenhorn. I'm seriously thinking of selling both RX's and getting your Blueline Filter Box 2.5 outlets, big headed stair tool, 200 ft 2.5 Orange hose, and 2.5 Y connector. Oh yes, and a second greenhorn.

What else you got I can't live without? hmmm.... I'm sure you got some other goodies. What am I forgetting?

Scott Rogers

This is my RX, Testing will be done the week after Christmas on a big job I do. I can run a rotory all day with no issues, but running the RX for more then 2 hours kills my lower back and right elbow. I guess do to draging the hoses around. I love the way my Defender and Brute track, so I asked Clark to make it so the RX could work the same way.

This is actually the first time i have seen it, I will be picking it up Sunday. I will give a few reports on this in the near future.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I can't run my RX's anymore cuz I got the tendonitis in my right elbow.

I bet this retrofit would solve me problem.

I don't understand how putting the small wheels on it would help your tendinitis.........
because while you are running it....the size of the wheels does not matter because they are not even touching the ground.....all pressure is on the cleaning head....

I can run a rotory all day with no issues, but running the RX for more then 2 hours kills my lower back and right elbow.

try raising or lowering the handle......sounds to me like you need to find that confey zone with it.....it was killing me when I first got mine and I lowered the handle so that my arms were straight and there was no pressure on them or my back and it has never bothered me since..........

Scott Rogers

Jim this machine is no longer going to be used side to side. It is now walk forward and backwards like a Defender or cimex. The wheels stay on the ground all the time. To be honest i think i would have preferred the larger wheels, but i havnt run it yet so these may work fine.

As far as adjusting it, i can and do run a rotary for 6-7 hours a day with out issues. I know how to adjust the handle properly. But with dragging 50 ft of 2inch and 200 ft of 2.5 hose around all day puts to much stress on my back and elbow. For the first hour its cool, 2nd hour it is hurting from that point on its agony.

I have been fighting this machine fore 3 years now. and the locking mechanism had finally worn out and was no longer locking it tight. So i had to invest in getting it repaired or attempting a retrofit so it works easier. So to me it is a chance I am willing to take. I dreaded using the Rex for extended periods. Now i hope to love it again for doing large commercial jobs.

We shall see.

Clark

I rushed this project to finish. We can use any size wheels we want. This is what I used in the rush. If it works I will make what ever wheel frame Scott wants.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
George:

Don't sell your RX! I quit carrying mine for awhile, figgerin a mechanical prescrub and wand rinse would do the same job quicker. But nothing I've tried matches the RX on some rats.

I've had tendonitis in both elbows for about three years from that beast, but its back on the truck.

Interested to see how Clark's mods work.

ps. Try http://www.banditusa.com for tendonitis. I wear them all the time. They really help.

CleanEvo

Looks like a great idea. I always hated using the RX side to side, this might make it more enjoyable to use.

What's the retrofit cost? Once you get the bugs worked out, is it a kit you could send out to cleaners so that they can do it themselves.

pHilh

If you are going to use it like the cimex and op machines then those handles will have to go?,they will be that uncomfortable .

Scott Rogers

Well, I just got home from picking up the Rex from Clark. I will run it tomorrow. I did dry run it on the carpet i his shop, Boy it is smoother then I had expected. no torque to fight u runs forward and back very easily. Impressed so far. I will let u guys interested know how well it does yanking the hoses around. But so far it was extremely easy to maneuver around.

Name
Nate W.
Looks like a super strap when the hose connected to you will improve the maneuvering of the RX with the retrofit kit. IMO

Greenie

that is what I was thinking, before we had the SuperStrap, I would just just use an old school stair hook and hang a few feet of hoses from my belt loop, rear center....worked like a charm, the SuperStrap is much better.

Scott Rogers

i was talking to Clark about the possible need for a leash, I havent seen your super strap lets see a picture of it. I left the boards for a few months do to personal issues so i missed a bunch i guess

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I'm bumping this thread.. Come on Scott, we are all waiting.. what happened with this machine??? Work Well, not work weLL?? updates man!

Scott Rogers

Sorry for the delay, been fairly busy and forgot about it. :)

The machine worked almost perfectly to this point. Only issue I found was i needed to add a bit of weight (5 lbs) to the head. Remember this is a proto type so some adjustments where to be expected. The need for the weight is even at rest the head is not 100% level it tip back maybe 1/16 inch, with the weight added it keeps the vac ports all tight to the carpet. this issue should be easily over come with a adjustment to the bottom bracket where the head is mounted.

Even before i added the weight, there was no tiping or lifting of the head while working. This was something I expected to be a issue. I had expected the drag of the hoses to work like a fulcrum and lever and lift the head while working forward. But this was not a issue.

The stability of the machine is incredible and makes working it with one hand a very simple operation. It is almost not like work at all.

Someone was concerned about the stock handle would be awkward to use when pushing. This is not the case. the handle is very comfortable to use weather using with one hand or 2.

Adjustments that need to be made before selling this kit.

1) adjust the head mounting to insure a tight even interface with the carpet without the need for the weight.

2) adjust the support bars so the head can tip back for storage without hitting them.

3) add a locking mechanism so head can be locked in the tilt position for storage.

All in all this design is a winner.

PS. this design also had 1 more benifit I did not think about when I thought the concept up. It allows the unit to be used in much tighter areas with out the risk of bouncing it of walls and furniture (such as a tight area between a bed and wall) as long as the area is big enough for the width of the machine to go into

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Scott,

Thanks for the update! It would seam that even with the adjustment in the bracket that extra weight of some sort might be desired. The weight of the original machine rested on the cleaning head during operation. Adding the wheels should have reduced the weight on the head thus to achieve the same level of agitation, the added weight may be desired anyways.

The updates to the rx20 that you and Clark have developed here will hopefully open the eyes of the industry a little bit wider. Its pretty easy to see that an orbital or cimex machine with wheels on the floor during operation help create balance and stability. Taking a rotary extractor and doing the same thing is the next logical step. Imagine cimex turing their rotary scrubber into a rotary extactor.. Now that would be cool. Lay down the prespray with the cimex, switch heads extract rinse. I imagine it could be accomplished using a small rotovac head in place of a pad driver on the cimex.

Who wants to develop one of these next?

Clark

I'm guessing I need some Black Wrinkle powder to match the RX 20 color. I'm not fond of the Red and Black mix.

Name
George Valliant
Let me know when the kits are ready so I can place me order. I can't wait to dual RX some wide open commercial jobs. How much longer eh?

Name
Nate W.
pHilh said:
Did this system work and been put into production?? or has it been binned??

I believe they are in production. Just message Clark and he'll get back to you. If you do run the retrofit kit, get the Green Glides upgrade to the rx20 to get the most out of the machine. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom