RX-20 Wont spin- Just makes a buzzing sound

Samson

Supportive Member
Name
Samson Rollins
I went to use my RX-20 today and when I pulled the trigger and pushed the safey button it made a buzzing/binding sound but wouldn't turn. I though maybe it was jammed so I turned the star head by hand an it seemd to spin freely like usual.

When I push the saftey button, hold the trigger and give it a kick start by hand it seems to spin. But, when i let it come to a stop and try again with a manual kick start(spinning the start head by hand) it won't move, just buzzes.

Anyone else experience this? If so, what was the fix? :(

Thanks,

Samson

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the motor is sticking....

could be a number of reasons....
windings going bad...armature is getting worn...or for some reason it is not getting good voltage
start compasater is going or is out

when you spin it by hand you are giving the motor a jump start...

there is an electrical outlet near the head....plug your extension cord direct to it....this will bypass the switch....it would be the first thing that I would test.....

Samson

Supportive Member
Name
Samson Rollins
Thanks for the help!

I tested the motor by plugging into an extension cord down by the motor and then giving it a kick start by hand. Once running I put the star head on the carpet to see if it had the to rqe to contine running and it did. I think the motor is fine but may need a new start swith and/or capcitor according to Hydramaster. Both are on order.

Thanks, :)

Samson

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
some of the older (?) models have a button on the handle that you have to press and hold while you pull the trigger......In case it gets away from you...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
if you still had to kick start it then I am pretty sure that it is the capacitor

FYI....if you are going to change this out your self........be careful...some capacitors hold a charge and if you reach down and grab the wires to unplug it ....it could knock the crap out of you...make sure the rx is unplugged and before you remove the capacitor....take a screw driver and touch each of the wires that plug into capacitor together...If it is holding a charge this will release it.... Not something that I have run across to many times ...but better be safe then sorry ..just in case....

Greenie

Sounds to me like the run capacitor is fine but the start capacitor is toast, simple fix, just replace the correct one on the side of the motor...or install a rope start and call it good.

That last bit was a joke of course.

cbcsi

FYI....if you are going to change this out your self........be careful...some capacitors hold a charge and if you reach down and grab the wires to unplug it ....it could knock the crap out of you...make sure the rx is unplugged and before you remove the capacitor

Now that is some good advice. I used to put a charged capacitors on my bookshelf just to see how curious my friends were. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom