Rx 20

rjs

If you were just starting a new carpet cleaning business would you invest in a rx 20? Do they clean better, dry as well? Are you giving you customers a better job overall with this machine? Thanks for your help.

Rich

rjs

Sorry i did not mean to post this so many times. If someone could delete the unwanted post that would be great.

Name
jack zerkie
Yes the RX20. I have most of the toys . The old rotovac, rotary dri machine and a few others. Thre RX is great for dirty carpets, and I use it on flood jobs, but I did use the roatry dri on a commerical job yesterday, The most important thing on the RX 20 is to ALWAYS remove the base spinner after job and wash it clean, and it will last a long time. Now I, m waiting for my ZIPPER jr. to add to my things leaning up against the wall, and trying to decide what tool to use on this job? jz.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
rjs said:
If you were just starting a new carpet cleaning business would you invest in a rx 20? Do they clean better, dry as well? Are you giving you customers a better job overall with this machine? Thanks for your help.

Rich

Skip the RX20. I bought one and it sits in my cellar (for the last 20 years). It just can't beat a 175 and a wand. And these last few years with a Ti wand with it's holed GG, there is truly nothing better then that combo. The 175 is virtually indestructible and you can use it to encap and scrub hard floors.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
well, art im sure that rx-20 is all rusty and no good from the humidity down there.. How much you want for it?:)

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
After several hundred jobs with an RX-20, I discovered that a 175 or OP and a glided wand does a better job faster.

Also, the glided wand is easier on my old back and tendonitis-afflicted arms than the RX.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Rx20's are great. That's all I clean with. Tried the wand and it did not compare. There is quite a difference in whether you have a metal or teflon glide. The metal ones with the full slot are fairly aggresive and will clean the best. The teflon less aggressive so it does'nt scrub as well but dries better. Never used the metal half slotted one but I would think that they would fall somewhere in the middle. I've never tried the op/175 and wand combo.

Albert

Art Kelley said:
rjs said:

Rich

Skip the RX20. I bought one and it sits in my cellar (for the last 20 years). It just can't beat a 175 and a wand. And these last few years with a Ti wand with it's holed GG, there is truly nothing better then that combo. The 175 is virtually indestructible and you can use it to encap and scrub hard floors.

I'm with Art on this one.

TimP

Skip the rx. Buy a greenie wand. Unless u do lots of commercial carpet then a rx will save your back. For residential a spray and rinse will do 95%+ of the jobs out there as long as you use the appropriate chemicals.

rjs

If i used the 175 rotary scrubber, do i use the brush or pads on the carpet with the pre spray and then use the wand? Would i not save a step with the rx20 or would i still need to wand.

Rich

Name
Nate W.
rjs said:
If i used the 175 rotary scrubber, do i use the brush or pads on the carpet with the pre spray and then use the wand? Would i not save a step with the rx20 or would i still need to wand.

Rich

Technically, you'd still need to wand the corners/edges using a powerhead machine. Some people don't. Really depends on how dirty the carpet is. Brush is harder to learn with, pads are easier than a brush. You don't have to clean out the pad like you'd need to do with the brush. You give up one for another.....

TimP

Buffer is way cheaper than a rx. Also its more versatile and faster to scrub carpet. The main thing is that cleaning with a hole or hybrid glide you're going to get better dry times. Anyways you'll be
at half the cost of an rx. And most people who own a rx use them rarely. I only put mine on the truck when doing my schools or if I know I'm doing a job that's rat nasty.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Richard, if you are starting out in a new cc business, don't be in a hurry to spend your cash.

What will be the power source for the RX20 ?

Will it be a truckmount or a portable ?

Using an RX20, many operators overwet the carpet even using a truckmount, and many do not have the patience to do extra dry strokes that may be required.

Many portables will not handle the extra volume of water that the RX20 puts out that then require even more drying strokes.

I have used mine with great success on trashed carpets over about 12 years on both portables and my t/m, with no overwetting problems after my first job. :oops:

In some respects, I am a fast learner, thank God. :lol:

As with everything, it is up to the individual to find the best practice for the equipment they use.

Why not try and go for a "ridealong" with another CC that has an RX20 and try it for yourself on real carpets. :?:

Or you can go to Connections, try it on their wet carpet, and talk face to face with these guys that are answering any questions you put up here.

Ooroo,

:roll:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
the RX is the great equalizer.

With a powerhead a fat old man like me can clean as fast and for as long as some of you young-in's. :D

Add to it that it does both operations at once, scrubs and rinses (saves time), PLUS it makes more passes than a wand ever could (more thorough cleaning) and you can see why I think it should be off the truck and in your customers homes.

Now I will say all of my tech's won't use them except on commercial work.
They think they can clean faster and as good with a wand, I just think they are too lazy to pull it off the truck. :roll:

My opinion, you'll last a lot longer in this business if you let the machine do the cleaning for you.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Also figure out what type of work your aiming for... Are you doing planning on marketing towards commercial or residiential and do you think you'll be cleaning rat nasties, moderatly soiled, a good mix?

The RX-20's strong points are that it can restore a heavily soiled carpet with less effort than a wand alone, you can make more passes per minutes than a wand and the power head scrubs... another advantage is you can add a pad driver and turn it into a rotary machine for post padding or prescrubbing if need be. And though with limited success you can also use it for Hard surface cleaning with another head.. its pretty versatile.

The down sides are it can overwet the carpet if you are not careful, it can blast open a problem area on carpet such as weak seams, or pulled rows on a berber, its heavier to pull in than a wand, its hard to edge with it. And all of the add on attachments are pretty $$.

Now if you want the ease of a rotary but don't need the brute force of the RX20, you also have the rotary drimaster, which sometimes gets underated too often.

Rotary Dimaster benefits: you still make more passes over an area than a wand, clear viewing window so you can see what your taking out. Its lighter so its easier to grab off the truck. The unit provides high flow cleaning with a 1.5 gpm at 300 psi, and even in the hands of a novice, its hard to overwet the carpet. Like the RX it will make a long extraction time alot less strenuous. And it still restores the pile quite well. need to hit a little harder up the pressure to 400, and still no overwetting issues.

Downsides: Its a little slower than the RX. Its more at home on a residiential cutpile than it is on a berber.. (yet it does suprisingly well on commercial carpet). You need to clean out the top flow through windown often, and keep the bottom clean up.

I'd also suggest a rotovac 360i but don't have any experience with it.

Just laying out some options for you.

rjs

I'm using a new Butler system and just wanted to know if one of these rotary machines would help me clean better or with less work. I still plan on using the wand on all jobs. I was looking for something to scrub and then use the wand, to do a better job. This board has been so much help so far and i want to thank everyone for there input.

Rich

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
if you plan on using the wand, then feel free to look for a scrubbing machine sch as a 175, or even a crb machine (counter rotating brush machine). The CRB are great at pile lifting residential, but the 175 will be a more versatile machine and starting out, the more versatile a product can be the better financial sence it makes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom