RX20 Help

jwfoulk

My RX is leaking oil out the shaft? Does anybody know what causes this? Is it a simple fix such as an o-ring? Thanks in advance.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
normally that means that the oil seal went out on it and needs replaced......
and if I remember correctly....you have to separate the gear box from the base to replace it....
also check you breathing stone on top...normally when a seal blows is because the breathing stone on top is plugged and the heat/pressure can not release....

jwfoulk

A couple months ago I had to replace one of the gears and had the box apart. I had to have the shaft repressed back in. This is probably what caused the seal to go. It was a pita to get it all apart. Not looking forward to doing it all again.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the seal should be easy to get to once the base is separated.....just take your time and genitally tap it in with a mallet.............

jwfoulk

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Any other pointers or things to consider while I have it apart?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
not really this should be pretty straight forward..when you put it all together.....I always put a little bit of oil on the outer edge of the seal to help it seat better but normally most seals just tap right in.....just take your time and pay close attention to how everything is and comes apart and you will be back in business in no time...

Becker

Name
Becker
I tore mine apart tonight..

Ok, well I took all the jets off to clean them.

I should find a cap for the stars water intake as I know that is how dirt gets into the jets.

Stick a sq of duct tape over it.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I should find a cap for the stars water intake as I know that is how dirt gets into the jets.

Stick a sq of duct tape over it.

where is this.......I can not figure out where the water intake on the star is....

MerCrewser

All I did was pull the old seal out of the bottom using an ice pick. Let the oil drain out to wash away any debris (old seal may be brittle). Tap in new seal and replace oil. It will take you less than 10 minutes. There is no need for any disassembly. Carpet fuzz tangled on the shaft destroys the seal.

jwfoulk

Hmm wish I would have known that before I pulled everything apart. O well it didnt take that long this time because I had just had it apart a couple months ago to replace the main gear. Now just waiting for my new seals to arive.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have just found it much easier to remove the base because you have to be certain that the seal is set good and flush....take the extra time and just be sure..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom