RX20 Starr Removal

R

R W

Well, I let my RX 20 sit around for a few months of no use, because I just didn't need it. Well, I've been bringing it back out for those nasty CGD's, and I wanted to change out the felt vacuum ring. Well, I kicked it, smacked it, used a hammer with a wooden block.....used a SLEDGE hammer and a wooden block, and it won't budge. And yes, I am hitting it clockwise! I've tried removing it this week after running it at 230*, and that didn't even help.

What should I try next??............other than sending it to Marty.

Name
Nate W.
Hit it counter-clockwise then clockwise?

Or like Greenie says,

Put it away and use your wand with high flow. :lol:

Name
Shawn Forsythe
On the topside is a set of flats right below the swivel. Attach an open end box wrench to this and hold firm. Simultaneously use a SIX POINT socket wrench to the large nut on the center of the star and turn it CLOCKWISE against the box wrench which you are holding firm. DO NOT TURN ANY OF THIS COUNTER-CLOCKWISE, OR YOU WILL LOOSEN THE NUT on the bolt (then you WILL be in trouble, as you can't re tighten it after you loosen.)

Do not use a Crescent wrench on either, as it is imprecise and risks damage. You may have to extend(cheat) the handles for more leverage.

R

R W

Shawn....I got the old, slow style. Would it be the same as the high speed models??

I can't go look right now, cause it's at the shop in a HEATED garage. (it's cold up here in NE Ohio)

Would heating the star, right at the center, help loosen it??

Name
Shawn Forsythe
R W said:
Would heating the star, right at the center, help loosen it??

The exposed outside of the hub is plastic (the part you can see). You will melt the plastic and ruin the star's hub assy before any appreciable heat would reach the top inner threaded brass portion(which is hidden). I hope Odin was kidding.

phy107-022_lg.jpg

I do believe the older ones remove the same as my previous post.

I just bought a used one older model one on ebay guy never took the star off...took me 2 hours to get it off try some blaster and give it a quick punch clockwise...just keep working on it it will come off.....and lube itand take it off after use like odin one knobi said.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom