Sacrifical Zinc Anodes

Johnnyone

I have a aluminum fresh water tank that is very corroded. Has anyone use these? I have read that you can use them for a heat exchanger to. I have called the manufacture about this and they seem not to know what to do ??

minuteman

Yes as for the manufacture sounds normal, they are used for the electrolysis that occurs between two different types of metals. And they work great to stop your corrosion.

Greg

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Hi John;

The sacrificial zinc anodes will lessen the galvanic reaction in the water tank.
The reaction is caused by the brass and aluminum contact with water.

To work, it must be in electrical contact with the aluminum.

Larry

Greenie

If I sold an alum. water tank (or waste tank for that matter), it would automatically have a sacrificial anode, seems kinda irresponsible not to.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greenie;

I believe there are many TM's out there, from a manufacturer you are familiar with,
with rusting steel tanks.

Larry

Bjorn

zinc wont work

this is fresh water and you would need a magnesium anode

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Rightie Tightie said:
zinc wont work

Not only that, but it's only going to retard galvanic corrosion, not the corrosion most prevalent in the tank which is simply chemical reaction between the aluminum and the carpet cleaning chemicals (the reactive acids and alkalies).

Does anyone really think that the presence of an anode stops all chemical reactions?

Greenie

Larry, if you are referrign to an old Judson tank, yes these used Steel back in the day, I thought you knew that. But it's been quite some time that they have all been Stainless, both of which will outlast a thin walled Aluminum tank with corrosion issues and cracking.
What you should be concerned with is that 29 yr. old Judson steel tank that is still RUNNING to this day.

Johnnyone

Well I finally found some anodes on ebay. One is zinc and the other one is magnesium. I installed one in the fresh water tank which is the worst, the other in the water box. I was not sure how to install them but found out that they need to be suspended in the water and not touching the metal tank. It has been about a week, so far I have seen some positive results. The anode is corroding and the water is clear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom