"Sand Blasted" Granite tile Eflo-MAMA!

Mikey P

Administrator
qAK_WAnj7gTAmZCPnfR7RMyXw_eI7vdJdBHMYVaIgzZo8w6VV5gqmWhdLiazdatNwLTXbFuWgxp_raWASg=w1760-h992-no.jpg

The white/Efflorescence showed up as the floor dried after we cleaned it.

This is the second time we've cleaned the floor and according to my son, even less pressure was used. According to the home owner there was some "wicking" the last time but no where as extreme.

The shower that is on the other side of the wall has really bad efflorescence on the 8" versions of the same tile.
The staining on the far right next to the wall is from a cat litter box..

We sealed it with Cobbs after cleaning.

My advice to here was to 1st, have a water damage guy come out with a infrared camera and try and find the leak form the shower. Fix the leak if possible than wash the floor with ammonia, let dry and wash again with vinegar..

Then use a Enhancer Sealer to attempt to hide the efflorescence.. And be prepared to do this every year or so or until you jack hammer out that overly porous tile..

What say YOU?

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Did you, your son , put his NP moisture meter on different sections to confirm moisture?- or different readings?

Is this literally a sand blast finish, or flamed, or honed. ?

How dark does it get when wet out?

Look like may be same as wall....

Some of the marks do not look like natural drying characteristics...

So it was black with dirt before you cleaned?

Bottom line- stop water source... Eventually it will just always stay dark..

Sometimes you can't stop water- may be some geo- moisture ground thing going on. ( we service a flamed granite floor, when you lift mats, looks like someone poured gallon water under it) - natural

Have him tape a sq piece of plastic to floor for 24 hours see what you get

Sealing may slow evaporation and possibly cause spalling.

Reactions: Jimmy L and Mikey P
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Oh shame on the installer. Everything you said, I would advise a light enhancer especially right after your cleaning. Seeing is worth 1,000 words of speculation. I can't stand enhancers because they get poorly applied and don't tolerate soiling abuse. But in yer custies case an enhancer is way better then tearing up the floor.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
totally agree Scott.

and unless I/we can be the first person to ever touch the stone with the enhancer, you stand a big risk in "enhancing" uneven prior sealer application.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Somewhere, I read that decaying sealant can be rejuvenated by spraying Xylol on it and letting the solvent evaporate. The reasoning was that the sealant would go into solution and settle evenly as the Xylol dried out.

Anyone ever try this?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom