Sanitize?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
One of the big boys here claims his "system" sanitizes the carpet. Anyone know what percentage of germs have to be removed to achieve real sanitizing? Of course, they claimed to be the only company in the country to use Dri Master rotaries too. :roll:

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
IICRC S500
ANSI/IICRC S500 2006
Third Edition
Chapter 8
Biocide and Antimicrobial Technology
Sanitizer: Products used to reduce, but not necessarily eliminate,microorganisms from the inanimate environment to levels considered safe as determined by public health codes or regulations.
Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Sanitize: to make something completely clean and free from bacteria

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
kmdineen said:
... levels considered safe as determined by public health codes or regulations.
Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Sanitize: to make something completely clean and free from bacteria

Well, since I don't know of ANY system that gets a carpet completely clean and free from bacteria , saying a system sanitizes would be false advertising.

Name
Kevin McCreary
I know from a franchise that I once worked for that "sanitize" was a forbidden term for use in the company per the legal dept.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Many companies can use the term sanitize in their marketing because definitions vary. I posted two definitions of sanitize from two credible sources to illustrate that. A large carpet cleaning company in my area is Triple S. That stands for Steam Sanitize and Seal, I was told.
When asked if I can sanitize a carpet I reply it depends on your definition of sanitize.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
kmdineen said:
Many companies can use the term sanitize in their marketing because definitions vary. I posted two definitions of sanitize from two credible sources to illustrate that. A large carpet cleaning company in my area is Triple S. That stands for Steam Sanitize and Seal, I was told.
When asked if I can sanitize a carpet I reply it depends on your definition of sanitize.

FIFRA does not allow companies to make public health pesticidal claims for any product distributed or sold unless the product has been approved and registered by EPA or is covered by an exemption from registration. EPA is concerned about these claims because, in addition to being unlawful, they are also potentially harmful to the public.

If you provide a service for monetary gain, your definition of "sanitize" must ALWAYS include the legal definition as set out by EPA. As well, you may not infer in any manner that you have provided the service, such as "applied a sanitizer", unless the efficacy of the product has been proven for the application you intend. As well, legally, you MAY NOT use any product inconsistent with its labeling. This means that unless the sanitizer has not been approved for use ON CARPET, or on any other porous surface to which you are to apply it, you cannot do so.

Or you can take the gutsy approach, and violate Federal law, until you are caught by authorities, or your willful disregard becomes the subject matter of a lawsuit. If you customer EVER has cause to complain, you are dead meat. You don't have the luxury of using logic derived outside the realm of the profession and law, to defend your actions.

SANITIZE
Sanitizers must have specific bactericidal properties. In the United Sates, claims for bactericidal efficacy cannot be made unless or until the product carries a current EPA registration as a sanitizer. By the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) definition, an EPA registered sanitizer must be able to provide a 5 log (100,000 fold) reduction of bacteria. In other words, it must be able to kill over 99.999% of the original bacteria present to be approved as a sanitizer.

The sanitizer is tested at a prescribed dilution for specific amounts of time against selected types of pathogenic (disease causing) organisms, then re-tested the same way a year later. If the sanitizing product passes both tests, AND labeling for requisite use is approved, it is granted an EPA registration number as a sanitizer but only after the label has been approved and the registration fee has been paid. In order for an application company to make a claim for sanitization, the product or process must be used in the approved manner. Furthermore, once a product has been granted registration, the product may ONLY be used in its prescribed manner and purpose.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simply put:

Before using a sanitizer, read the label, and use it per the label.

Before charging money for a service or product that promises, or infers sanitization, make sure it is EPA approved. Simple.

Name
Kevin McCreary
in other words you could tell the client you are going to use a" carpet sanitizer" on their carpet as opposed to telling them you are going to "sanitize" their carpet. I think it might be safer to use the word disinfect carpet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom