Scrubbing carpet with a red pad?

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I use this brush on probably 95% of my jobs

http://www.cleanfreak.com/Qstore/p001094.htm

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i415/vegun/20131004_092529_zpsd2ee87f9.jpg

One of my jobs today was a nasty one. I pre-sprayed with Flex with Citrus and scrubbed with the brush. Normally it is all I need to do to make it ready to clean. But today the brush wasn't doing it, so I for the first time broke out the red pad.

Man!!! It was like I was using a dirt erasure. So totally made a HUGE difference over the brush!

My question is this...Do I need to use caution with the red pad? I'm wondering about friction/heat if the carpet happens to be olefin. I don't think it would be a problem but I'd rather learn from your mistakes than make them on my own! :winky:

Any other thing I should know about using a red pad to pre-scrub carpet?

thanks in advance for your advice!
:clap:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I've had a couple buddy's tell me the red ones have bled on tile and wood.

If I was going to try a pad on res. I'd play it safe and use the white ones, less aggressive also.

Someone a few weeks ago said - even tile cleaning the pad will do better than a brush.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Blue is tops for me on Carpet

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
My question is this...Do I need to use caution with the red pad? I'm wondering about friction/heat if the carpet happens to be olefin. I don't think it would be a problem but I'd rather learn from your mistakes than make them on my own! :winky:

Any other thing I should know about using a red pad to pre-scrub carpet?

thanks in advance for your advice!
:clap:

A red pad for carpet? Quite honestly, that's a recipe for trouble. A red pad is a floor pad - not a carpet pad.

The problem is that you're using a pad that may be too aggressive for carpet. And the larger problem is "possible color transfer". I have seen and heard of a few accounts where guys ruined a carpet because of color bleed on the carpet using a red pad. And unfortunately it can't be corrected.

The question at the bottom line is "why"? Why use a red pad ever on a carpet? Especially when there are pads that are specifically formulated for carpet scrubbing.

FiberPlus pads are perfect for cut pile and loop carpet, and FiberPlus Max pads are excellent for commercial loop carpet. These pads are safe, there's no chance of a color transfer, they perform well, they're absolutely perfect for carpet carpet scrubbing.

So I'm wondering why a person would want to try to reinvent the wheel? A red pad can be a seriously risky venture. If you really are decided on using a red pad - please proceed with caution; it may work on some carpets, and it may create problems on others.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Use one of those thin black ones.:eekk: Not. I stopped using red pads on anything after one bled on limestone. Had a hell of a time fixing that.

Lonny

Supportive Member
I've never had a pad bleed out on any type of flooring. I wonder if it is a manufacturing difference? The only issue i have with pads is blooming in residential applications. If I need to pull out the 175 and pad though, most of the time the customer is NOT going to notice the blooming, they are more than happy to see the dirt disappear. The 175 and pad are for commercial, or last ditch restorative effort on residential.

Reactions: GCCLee

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
White, Blue, Red

Red is too much for carpet fibers. Of course when tour dealing with abuse, sometimes ya gotta get abusive yourself.

Blue is max fur me : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
One flaw in the manufacturing process and you will have a mess if it bleeds. That said yes when we started out, I hacked out plenty with a red pad and a rinse.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I have a soft nylon encap brush and a red pad for my rotary. I find some jobs can take longer to scrub with the encap brush than I thought they should. Been tempted to throw the red pad on and take another crack but I just keep scrubbing and change the direction I move the machine over the problem area and eventually I get there..... Mostly. :yawn:

I really need a few bonnets for my machine. It surprised me how much they cost given they are more or less towels.

I have also heard that white pads are the best general purpose scrub pads because they are harder than the brush but softer than the red pad. Still haven't been game to try on though. Red pad on linoleum though........ Brilliant. Not too hard, not too soft.....l Goldilocks Just Right :headbang:

Grant

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
A red pad for carpet? Quite honestly, that's a recipe for trouble. A red pad is a floor pad - not a carpet pad.

The problem is that you're using a pad that may be too aggressive for carpet. And the larger problem is "possible color transfer". I have seen and heard of a few accounts where guys ruined a carpet because of color bleed on the carpet using a red pad. And unfortunately it can't be corrected.

The question at the bottom line is "why"? Why use a red pad ever on a carpet? Especially when there are pads that are specifically formulated for carpet scrubbing.

FiberPlus pads are perfect for cut pile and loop carpet, and FiberPlus Max pads are excellent for commercial loop carpet. These pads are safe, there's no chance of a color transfer, they perform well, they're absolutely perfect for carpet carpet scrubbing.

So I'm wondering why a person would want to try to reinvent the wheel? A red pad can be a seriously risky venture. If you really are decided on using a red pad - please proceed with caution; it may work on some carpets, and it may create problems on others.

After 20 years of cleaning carpets and this being the FIRST job that I've ever used a red pad on carpets I really don't think I'm willy-nilly deciding to throw caution to the wind and start ruining carpets all over the place - or wanting to re-inventing the wheel. But thanks Rick for your fatherly, authoritarian, "are you stupid?" tone reply to my question.

As I stated, I use a brush on 95% of my jobs, and that is usually good enough. This particular job in question was nasty, and as someone else stated, "when dealing with abuse, sometimes ya gotta get abusive yourself." This post was in regards to my worrying about using a red pad on carpet.

I have no idea in the world where to get a "Fiber plus Max pad". Or if it would be any better than my CleanFreak brush.

Last edited:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
The HD red pads bleed...especially on wood floor.

Fiber pads are much better to prescrub residential carpet if you must use a pad, better than a brush.

Fiber max is commercial only pad as Rick mentioned, both pads can be purchased on his website - www.excellentsupply.com

Those 2 are the #1 pads used for a Cimex as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom