Sealer enhancer for the finish

Jwalk90

Name
Joshua Walker
I have about a 1,300 sq ft travertine w/ black granite inlays showroom floor job coming up and I am having a hard time deciding on a sealer enhancer or just a sealer. I will be using monkey pads thinking about taking it either to 3000 or maybe 6000 grit after cleaning and prepping the surface. What do you guys think? Should I cover up the granite so I don't get the monkey pads with it? I'll post photos soon.

Jwalk90

Name
Joshua Walker

Mikey P

Administrator
I doubt that the Monkeys harm the Granite what so ever.

I only recommend using Enhancers if you are the first person to seal/touch the floor.

It's too easy to "Enhance" an prior uneven sealing job..

Reactions: Jwalk90

Jwalk90

Name
Joshua Walker
From what it looks like, I assume that it's been sealed before. I'm going to inquire before the job if he has ever had it serviced and I'll probably end up just stripping it to be on the safe side, now that you mention it. So I guess that brings me to my next question, could I use a clean grit brush at 175 and still not worry about the granite. That's the part where im not super confident are those granite tiles. Because that will add so much extra if he doesn't want them polished and I end up scratching them and having to do them for free. So would a light duty clean grit be enough for the strip w stripper and not to hard on the granite or will the aggressive clean grit be too hard...... I won't take you to a court for your opinion. Lol. Thanks again for your input so far šŸ˜Š

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
not to be harsh, sounds like you need more trainning. experience in stone.

First think you look/ test for is coating....Looks to be polished to me, and because it is commercial it may have been crystallized.

Also looks to be Marble not Travertine.

If above acurate, your money pads and grit brushed may dull and cloud the Marble.

Reactions: Stephen D. Gillett

Jwalk90

Name
Joshua Walker
not to be harsh, sounds like you need more trainning. experience in stone.

First think you look/ test for is coating....Looks to be polished to me, and because it is commercial it may have been crystallized.

Also looks to be Marble not Travertine.

If above acurate, your money pads and grit brushed may dull and cloud the Marble.

Thanks for the reply. The picture is 7-8 years old I pulled it off their website because I haven't been in there recently but the last time I was in it needed to be refinished. Showed signs of plenty of wear.
I don't disagree I need training when it comes to identifying stone which is a major thing. I do have 7 years of on and off experience of basically doing what I was told to by an uncle. He showed me the work side but not the sales side. I was mistaken, this is marble, the yellow hue through me off thinking and I thought it was travertine. I have plenty to learn though, when you know it all is when I am in trouble. But I do have a bit of background in the business.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jwalk90

Name
Joshua Walker
So would you suggest 5x marble polish with a gorilla pad? And if so, will the 5x etch the granite? If not then I can just polish those tiles right along side with the marble. I do know the process of powder polish and the need to get it neutralized before moving on to the next section but more information/tips/tricks would be welcomed and needed. I love this work and the customers reactions after we finished a job and really want to have a career in it.

Stephen D. Gillett

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Gillett
So would you suggest 5x marble polish with a gorilla pad? And if so, will the 5x etch the granite? If not then I can just polish those tiles right along side with the marble. I do know the process of powder polish and the need to get it neutralized before moving on to the next section but more information/tips/tricks would be welcomed and needed. I love this work and the customers reactions after we finished a job and really want to have a career in it.

Yes, 5x and a gray hogs hair pad would work well on a cream colored marble. The 5x will not etch the granite at all. But, I would do a test spot in an inconspicuous area to see if it will remove color from the granite. Various black granite has been treated with enhancers to darken it. Some cleaners and polishes can remove the enhancer from the granite; turning it back to a dark gray. If anything needs to be enhanced at the end of the service, it will be the granite (to make it black again).

I agree with Mike, The polished marble should not need an enhancer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom