Sealer question.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I clean this floor every 6 months. Last time she finally agreed to get it sealed. She was happy with the results and it wasn't nearly as dirty this time.
My question is this: she had an area rug in the doorway. Everywhere else the pre spray did not bead up when I sprayed. It only did where the rug was. Did the sealer wear off in the other areas or did they possibly use a cleaning product that compromised the sealer. Customer wasn't home so I couldn't ask her what she uses to mop the floor. I use Cobbs sealer.

imagejpg1_zpsab575fbe.jpg

imagejpg2_zps4d367e94.jpg

hydracat

Yes. The sealer isn't worn away under the rug so it beads up. I do many vct jobs where the area under the door matts looks new and the entire floor around the rug is worn away.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
The penetrating sealer is not worn away . . .

This is apparent from the fact that "She was happy with the results and it wasn't nearly as dirty this time."

What usually happens is that non-neutral cleaners are used to clean the floor . . .

The surfactants will counteract the surface tension that creates the beading of a good solvent-based protector . . .

That is why the beading was not apparent in the other areas.

Larry

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
While all of the above are possible-there is also what is called plastizer in rubber backed rugs. This plastizer is notorious for "migrating" into subfloor materials and damaging them. Only a full inspection can determine this.

Thx,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

Reactions: Charlie Lyman

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom