SEO and blogs

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
Question for any seo experts out there. I have a really good website (at least I think so). But it doesn't rank well on google. I learned how to set up a blog for another company I own and am considering setting up one for the cleaning company.

Here is my question, I can design and set up a cleaning blog for about $15.00, but it will be a stand alone website that I can link to my primary site in each blog post. OR my web designer can add a blog to my actual website, but they want to charge me a couple hundred buck to do so.

Is there enough of a benefit, via SEO, to justify paying the extra money to have the blog attached to my primary site?

Thanks

FredC

Village Idiot
1st...your site is not very good. It is an HP clone and likely suffers because of it.

I wouldn't worry about a blog right now. I would start writing unique content for my main site.............then I would ask this question again.............

Reactions: EDS
Name
I'm Rick James
Question for any seo experts out there. I have a really good website (at least I think so). But it doesn't rank well on google. I learned how to set up a blog for another company I own and am considering setting up one for the cleaning company.

Here is my question, I can design and set up a cleaning blog for about $15.00, but it will be a stand alone website that I can link to my primary site in each blog post. OR my web designer can add a blog to my actual website, but they want to charge me a couple hundred buck to do so.

Is there enough of a benefit, via SEO, to justify paying the extra money to have the blog attached to my primary site?

Thanks

I am not expert but you should have the blog on your website, the blog is what helps me rank. I don;t know if backlinking it to another website will help it as much as a blog.

If you create a blog you should keep it full of rich content, if you are able to get friends, family and customers to view and comment on the blog that would also make it more useful in googles eyes.

There are sites out there where you can get a blog for free, its to bad your guy wants to charge $200 just to add it.. Make you sure you can have comments allowed on it and that you can blog at no extra cost to your web guy.

Got a link to your website?

FredC

Village Idiot
Again...since you are asking for SEO reasons.......start with you site.

You content is HP "fill in the blank" and is duplicate of many other site. Here is an example:
https://www.google.com/search?q=is+...a:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs

Start changing that.

Your landing page has almost zero carpet cleaning content and besides the link in the welcome blurb ....the "main" content is buried 2 levels deep when using the main navigation.

and I'm sure there may be some guru reason to put your phone number at the bottom but...................

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Website first for sure, just make sure to not waste your time on a free wordpress. site anymore. Has to be a real domain.

Over the long term both, short term you can use the mb blog for free. Its worked pretty good for me, fred is a link nazi and makes sure no spammy links or too many come out of here.
Plus nobody uses it relative to the traffic, its a good bet right now.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Fred, I know you don't wanna give out too much free info......but if you're willing, what is the best way to use the MB blog to our benefit?

FredC

Village Idiot
It isn't about giving the info for free....

I have, for the most part, shut the blogs section down. It would be different if there were good contributions....The Rampage truck build threads would be an example of what would make a good blog here.

but..I'd rather not have them up just for members to spam them with SEO crap......especially since there is actually little benefit to doing so.....at least in the way most people use them

Edit: ....If there is enough interest in actually using them as blogs I will bring them back

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Ron,
I've heard from one group of gurus that an outside blog helps drive click-throughs to your website, so is better than an on-site blog as it makes your site into an "expert" resource and drives up your site rankings. Other gurus have said that the idea of the blog on your site is to leave most of the static (since they're perfect!) pages alone and use the blog to add new content that Googlebots will register as new content and drive up your site rankings.

The reason I dropped the outside blog is because it has to found and read before it will drive click-throughs. Even as it gained a following, people weren't clicking on the links and it was debatable whether it directed enough traffic to the website for the Googlebots to register. I didn't see the return for the amount of time I put into it, but maybe I was just doing it poorly. I opted to put the blog on the site and spend my time getting traffic there instead, which has proven to work far better for me.

Back
Top Bottom