Serona Fiber: Bad or Good?

dantraub

RIP
Name
Dan Traub
I have a friend who I have referred to a carpet retailer for new carpet. I told him to ask about Nylon continuous filamanet pile carpet. The retailer is giving a second choice of Mohawk Elite Serona carpet and urging that choice, because of the 20 year warranty and other claims. The friend who needs new carpet is emailing me asking what to do. I am reluctant to recommend anything that contains recycled matterials, polyester or polypropylene and such. Has anyone cleaned this fiber? Is it good? The friend awaits my answer.
http://4carpetclean.com

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Sorona is a brand name for the rather new Triexta fiber. One key claim is that the fiber is environmentally friendly, being made from 30% corn. Thus it uses less of the petroleum products found in other synthetic fibers.

Great claims are being made for the durability of this fiber. But it may be too soon to really know. I have heard both good and bad reports from cleaners.

It does resist water based spills and food coloring, so those soft drinks clean-up very well.

For a more detailed look at what the fiber is and how to clean it, here is a link to a report on Triexta from the http://www.CleanWiki.com website. Just choose Triexta from the menu.
Report on Triexta / Sorona fiber

Name
Lee Stockwell
Corn production requires a whole lot of both fuel and fertilizer. The net result is that ethanol and other "green" products from agricultural sources usually yield NO net reduction in hydrocarbon usage.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Lee Stockwell said:
Corn production requires a whole lot of both fuel and fertilizer. The net result is that ethanol and other "green" products from agricultural sources usually yield NO net reduction in hydrocarbon usage.

Agree on that, Lee. Green claims are often far different from green facts. Some do see corn as more renewable than petroleum.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Lee Stockwell said:

They will if the manufacturing process relied on solar, geothermal or wind derived electricity.
Also, carpet from corn will produce less hydrocarbon than say methane from cows.

You are right about ethanol :mrgreen: , it is a joke, it requires more energy to make it than what it produces. However, most seriously green organizations oppose it, you would have known it had you paid attention. (Or is it the green- red cloth in front of a bull syndrome?

It is the agricultural lobby that favors ethanol.
Let us guess why!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom