ServiceMonster for Dummies

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I just joined SM(as I post this), one of those late night online shopping things that I gotta have it...anyways, I need to know if anyone can provide me w/ a link to where can i learn step by step on how to learn SM. Seems overwhelming for me the newbie, I'm sure I'll get a hang of it within the next few days. Just wanted to print an invoice(s) for tomorrow's jobs and wasn't quite sure how. Is there a link to the newbie section? :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Bill MartinS

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Mikey P said:
So you have not had you one on one session yet I presume..No

Is your client base transferred already? No

I just ordered it about 30 minutes ago.

They're going to call me and set up a training session?

I don't know how to transfer my client base, I've been using excel spreadsheets with our own formulas.

Mikey P

Administrator
Yes, SM is not an instant program you just insert into your heard drive.
They have to personally absorb your client base into their system and will spend all the time you need (about one hour if your half normal) to get to learn the rope.

You LOVE it, guaranteeed!

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I better,i got tired of seeing the pop up ads on here. So Its all mine now. I am still going to use my appointment books. Cause i would feel lost

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Sounds good Mike, I'll check it out manana, gotta be up early and it's already 2 here.

Joey, I just couldn't live w/ my life knowing I'm throwing $ down the drain w/out being part of SM, next step will be Full Circle.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
It took my dumbassed self 30 minute to tinker with it, and I learned how to make an invoice, estimate, set up mailing and email campaigns. And mess with the filters to select the group of people you're wanting to market to.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
joeynbgky said:
I better,i got tired of seeing the pop up ads on here. So Its all mine now. I am still going to use my appointment books. Cause i would feel lost

It took me a while to give up the appointment books. After some time they are pretty pointless.

Get a laptop with an aircard and run Internet Explorer. BAM, your new appointment book.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have netbooks, and laptops with aircards... But it is easier to write them down while im driving than opeing up the laptop... Yes, i schedule why driving... I have 6 appointment books for different crews... janitorial, house cleaning, apartment cleaning and carpet, carpet cleaning, im only using SM for carpet cleaning now.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Cool.
$20 per month per additional route and you can use them for different categories too.

I just have 3 routes on one and 2 on the other.

I separated Dallas and Sac.

Thinking about combining them again...SM is going to love me for that. :roll:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
It took my dumbassed self 30 minute to tinker with it, and I learned how to make an invoice, estimate, set up mailing and email campaigns. And mess with the filters to select the group of people you're wanting to market to.

You young guys are too damm smart for me. :mrgreen:

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I did an invoice today. and I e-mailed it! WOW. Then the property manager called and said she had 50 of the same invoices in her inbox.. They all had a different work order number on it. I have my one on one tommorrow

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Well, I had my first one on one! Not sure if I am going to like this........ one thing I dont like is............. it makes me enter all of their info in before I can schedule them.. I want to schedule then, put in their info.. That is the order I have always asked for.. So if i can click schedule and pick their date and time then enter their address and stuff that would be better. I just find SM takes to long to do all of this. I can hand write something and schedule them much quicker. just in the software. Not counting if your not in the office you have to open the laptop wait for pages to load.. I dont think so. For someone like myself that spends most of my time in the car or on jobsites I think my handy dandy appointment books are a much better fit.. I do like some features other I dont like at all. When I am doing invoices for apartment complexes, quick books is much easier. With SM I have to change the service address everytime, instead of QB that part is automatically blank and i can type it... When I'm entering about 60 of these things at a time, SM is not quicker. Plus if the PM calls today and schedules 16 units she wants the invoice the same day she schedules before they are completed, there fore SM wont put a date on the top which sucks. I think I will try a different companys program instead of this... Alot of hype for a slow program, It's like navigating a 10 year old program.. I will give it some more time, but so far im not impressed.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Joey, It's what SM can do and track that makes it so good.
With your way of doing things, maybe you can make it work for you once you play with it a little.
Just think, you can email the prop mgr the emails which is instant.

You have sites for your different addresses.

If you have the Full Circle girls doing your scheduling, you wouldn't have to worry about the process as much.

I agree, give it some time and see what you think. The SM crew is really helpful and we can give you some pointers as well.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
They are helpfull I will give them that. But Like I said before if I am on the freeway I cannot pull over and get the laptop out.. But I can drive and write, Which I shouldnt but I do. I am very good.... customers want to hurry up and get off the phone and I am busy I dont have time for wasted time. now, if i use my book and enter everything at the end of the day that would be ok, it would just be double entering stuff

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yeah, that's a tough situation.

Do you keep all your paper work for tracking customers and doing mailers?
Tracking is a HUGE part of why I use Service Monster.
You can keep track of everything and you can just click to get your mailings done etc etc.

I kind of double enter anyway. I still write on paper when on the phone. I don't trust internet connections or power supplies when scheduling...so I understand.

But I don't do that on the road....again...that's why I use Full Circle...I used to have to pull over for hours out of the day just to answer my phones.

Stress level has dropped...waaaaaay down.

As busy as it sounds like you are, you should have someone answering your phones anyway...not too mention just to be safe.

You can take care of the stuff you feel needs your personal touch and let FS take care of the other phone work.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Thanks, so i could just double write and have all the marketing stuff and database in their... I may have someone answer my phone but now I need to do it... between PM regular customers I know have 7 appoinment books for each type of service I took 68 calls today so far. its 6:15 pm now

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
Joey, I tried calling you yesterday for our appointment then I saw your post here. I will try to address some of your concerns.

“…it makes me enter all of their info in before I can schedule them.”

There are work arounds here but the point of keeping a database is so you, well, have a database. It’s the data crunching we are after so you can keep track of your business, see your true average invoice, repeat rate, productive marketing sources and on and on. Not to mention the reminder ability for both DIY and FMS campaigns. (FMS averages around 800% ROI btw)

“I want to schedule then, put in their info.. That is the order I have always asked for…”

We don’t wish to make you change your business flow. Some of our customers take notes during a call and then enter in the data after the call.

“I just find SM takes to long to do all of this. I can hand write something and schedule them much quicker.”

Yep. You can totally hand write quicker. But don’t ever lose you apt. book, and I wonder how you stay in touch with your current clients effectively.

“Not counting if your not in the office you have to open the laptop wait for pages to load.”

We may be able to help you here. Your internet connection should be over 1.2 for best performance and you may be experiencing packet loss.

“For someone like myself that spends most of my time in the car or on jobsites I think my handy dandy appointment books are a much better fit.”

Have you tried ServiceMonster Mobile? Quick access to your appointment and contact information.

“When I am doing invoices for apartment complexes, quick books is much easier. With SM I have to change the service address everytime, instead of QB that part is automatically blank and i can type it. When I'm entering about 60 of these things at a time, SM is not quicker.”

I have to disagree. In QB you have to enter the site every time. With ServiceMonster you only have to enter it once then simply select it form that point fowared. Entering the data is entering the data. You may want to look into your Tab key. And address infromion stored in QB can’t map, and usually is stored in a poor format. In addition, all of the history is there if there is an issue with payment or scheduling. You’re protecting yourself here.

“Plus if the PM calls today and schedules 16 units she wants the invoice the same day she schedules before they are completed, there fore SM wont put a date on the top which sucks.”

If you have a need for speed and are not concerned with site tracking, you can create one invoice and list each line item as a separate address. Just a suggestion.

The overall point here is simple. We are here to help you. We can address many issues with process flow. There are many ways to perform tasks in ServiceMonster and we can help you pick the best ones if we come to understand your business.

So it really comes down to need. Do you need a system or not? In some cases, appointment books are the best, easiest, and quickest solution. Ask yourself; which business problems are you trying to solve? If you know your numbers, have a higher then 75% repeat business, have an average invoice above 250.00, and have grown to your target earning potential. Then you totally don’t need ServiceMonster. ;)

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Well, then I guess I dont need it. So why dont we cancel it. BTW I was in my office the time you were suppose to call But yo actually called an hour early so i couldnt take it... Cause I really dont understand why i need to use to programs. it should all be intergated so i could do away with quickbooks. Oh well.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Joey,

I've integrated both together. But I mainly use QBs for accounting purposes.

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
Joey,

I apologize for the confusion on our appointment time. I keep a very tight schedule (mostly because I’m a dad to 4) and sometimes there are issues with time zone communication. I would be more than happy to reschedule if you wish.

We are sorry to see you go. I still believe we can help you and your business.

Due to our security policies, please send in an email from the email address on the account, stating you would like to cancel. You are well within you first 30 days so I’ll be sure you are issued a full refund when we receive your request.

Thanks,
Joe

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
thanks Joe, But I called today and schedules an appointment with you. So i will talk to you tommorrow. Thank you so much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom