Shag rugs and rotary cleaners

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I offer both on location and in plant rug cleaning. However, I do not offer to clean shag rugs on location.

The reason being that a good deep rinse will take the rug too long to dry. And a light cleaning that reduces water use to avoid potential problems, will get the rug "clean" but not really clean, which I do not consider a good service to my clients.
  1. Do the rotary cleaners allow a deep flush and good dry times?
  2. How do they do with wool regarding fuzzing and substantial loss of fiber.
  3. Do the vacuum slots (also jets) clog in this situation?
  4. Do they streak, leave swill marks, are the cleaning results even?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Do the rotary cleaners allow a deep flush and good dry times?Yes deeper flush than you could ever get with a wand and still reasonable dry times.

How do they do with wool regarding fuzzing and substantial loss of fiber. Keep it lubricated and you should be fine. I think if you avoid thin rugs you should be fine. The denser the better. Can you get some loose fiber from the agitation? Yes but no more than a 175. If its too soft a fiber than you wouldn't trust a 175 on it then I would not use an RE on it.

Do the vacuum slots (also jets) clog in this situation? Could be it would have to be a lot of loose fiber. I've not seen or heard of it happening.

Do they streak, leave swill marks, are the cleaning results even?
No streaking but in dense plush rugs you could get some swirl left in it. I cleaned a dense wool area that had a severally ground traffic area in front of where furniture sat. I cleaned it to show Dan how great the tool worked. I was amazed at the results...he said I ruined the rug. :eekk: It was bad but looked amazing when I was done. If you stepped back away from it you could see some slight swirls. :neutral: The client loved it. So if you have a very picky client, I'd warn them but most people I would think will appreciate the results.

Reactions: ruff

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We did it here in plant and left a fan running on it. In a home with good ventilation, open air, AC or HVAC, probably over night.

I wasn't as concerned because I knew we have control of the drying environment here. On location I'd just make sure nothing else was coming up the sight tube before I called it quits.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Can't really clean a deep pile rug with anything less than immersion and compression. If the carpet fiber is densely packed, you can get away with surface cleaning because no one can tell until they spread the nap. Large fiber shags that have a tuft per inch won't hide the deep soil.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I once tried that with a rotary....uummmm not real good. Ended up just flushing in the washpit..

Way too much fiber "rippage" from the rotary.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Can't imagine being without a rotary. I originally bought it because of back surgery. The picture showed the guy cleaning with one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. It is that easy to push. I use it on all shag rugs and have never damaged one. I use about 5 dry passes to one and have never had anyone complain about dry time.

Gene

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom