shanpooing

kevinj61

Just looking for some feedback on your thoughts about shampooing carpets, in the old days it was very popular, however the shampoo was left in the carpet and nothing was extracted out and the quaility of the chems back then is certainly not as good as it is today--Todays carpet shampoos are much better and don't allow for rapid resoiling as they did years ago--So the question is--If one were to use a 175 rotary with solution tank mounted on it and using of course carpet brush on it-first shampooed the carpet, but then used an extractor to rinse and extract every thing out?? what are your thoughts on this method--back in the 90's and for 7 years i had my own carpet cleaning business and this is what i did--shampooed then followed with extractor and sucked it all out--It worked great, never came across a carpet i couldn't make look great no matter how dirty and nasty it was, always had repeat business and referals and stayed busy all the time. Well i'm back in the business and pretty much do it like most everybody else--pre vac--pre-treat-agitate-dwell time, rinse & extract-- doing it this way works fine and results are very good, I have an mytee M5--rotova 360i with carpet brush head and standard head that comes with it, also have a 175 rotary with solution tank mounted on it along with carpet brush for it--However, I think going back to the way i used to do it with todays better more advanced chems I can do a much better job--any and all feed back anyone can give would be great weather it be good or bad and thanks in advance to all who replay

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
If you are extracting the carpet why would you "shampoo" it?

Why not get decent prespray onto the carpet with enough dwell time and prescrub followed by extraction? Why isn't that good enough? Your time is money. Why waste it with an unnecessary step? Not to mention that you are spending an extra amount on defoamer that you wouldn't be using if there was no shampoo to extract.

If you absolutely want to "shampoo" then get at least some decent encapsulating chems from Vacaway or Rick G. or Hruby. And you wont need to rinse every carpet.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The encap products are a little too expensive to use and THEN follow with any HWE. Plus it would be better to HWE first THEN encap or "padcap" considering how the chemistry works.

What Zee said.

Or you could always use pads with the encap and forget about the HWE all together unless really really needed.

kevinj61

hey "zee & Brian" thanks for your feedback Well i've shampooed many a carpet using a 175 rotary and it works very very good/ extreamly well, I just don't like leaving anything in the carpet ( the shampoo ) carpet will take forever to dry for one and resoiling will be excelerated, thats why I always extract afterwards- I do use the standard pre spray--pre scrub--dweel time then extract method but the way i see it that's three steps--shampoo then extract is only two--and you get just as good if not better results in my opinion, which is just that "my opinion" not really buying any extra chems, shampoo takes the place of pre spray chem--I would never just automaticly shampoo every job--if a carpet is not that bad i will pre spray then throw the carpet brush head on my 360i to agitate-allow a little dwell time then extract--i find that you can get away with allowing less dwell time if your agitation is with a powered piece of equipment rather then just with the scrub brush on the end of a stick

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Get a ride along with a real veteran from here. You will learn a thing or two or 300!! This whole shampooing deal is flawed...

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Prespray and scrubbing is the same as shampooing.

Don't use a tank. It will over wet the carpet and gravity will pull down the chem into the carpet pad before you have a chance to extract it.

Also, Don't use the word "Shampoo" It's not politically correct and hip anymore.

Substitute the word with encap, or pre-scrubbing prespray.

(My ode to Jimmy)

Just a heads up!!

kevinj61

pre spraying and scrubbing is just that "Pre spraying & scrubbing" your using a pre spray chem-do pre spray with carpet shampoo?
shampooing is using a 175 rotary with solution tank with carpet "shampoo" chem in it not a "pre spray" chem and as far as over wetting is concerned i think i'm smart enough to not overwet the carpet--for that matter you can overwet a carpet pre spraying as well allowing gravity to pull chem down to carpet pad before you have a chance to extract--and i never use the word "shampoo" to any customer although terminoligy doesn't mean much to most customers, they just want there carpet clean

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Not a thing wrong with your way, Kevin.
If there are any draw backs, the only one i could think of is excessive foam

powdered defoamer sprinkled about the carpet would be better than liquid IMO.
cause liquid works great for the tank, but doesn't keep vac hoses clear for very long.
Hoses full of foam don't suck so well...sprinkling powder around after the shampooing will keep the tank AND the hoses clear

..L.T.A.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
What you're saying is you want to lay down "shampoo" with your tank system right? Then you're going to extract? Well you don't need to use a shampoo (there are some decent ones out there called exactly that but they are a dying breed) you can use a prespray and any of them will go down through the on board tank with your 175rpm machine. That way you don't have the foam and you get all the cleaning/agitation you're used to.

In fact the reason I don't do it just like that is the brush on my machine (and every machine I ever tried it with) throws the water/formula onto the furniture and the floors you often find adjacent to the carpet. Yes you can wipe it off but it looks bad on you.

Most of the time when prescrubbing (I am a recent convert to the agitating crowd) is necessary I prespray with my inline sprayer and just scrub with my 175. Yes it is an extra step but I don't get any over spray/splash onto anything.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You're describing the most thorough way to clean carpet, but it isn't needed for anything but extremely soiled carpet, and even in most of those cases a rotray extractor will do almost as well while taking far less time.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
FLYERMAN said:
In fact the reason I don't do it just like that is the brush on my machine (and every machine I ever tried it with) throws the water/formula onto the furniture and the floors you often find adjacent to the carpet. .

Once we started using skirts we haven't had that problem.

roro

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom