Shear Dry vs Upholstery Pro

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I'm testing the two tools now. By the looks you would say they are the same.
GEDC1962.JPG

So far the cleaning is the same. The one advantage of the Sapphire tool is I like to keep the flow on continuous, making the solution temp boiling hot and eliminating triggering. Works great with no dripping even over a wood floor.
GEDC1961.JPG

The ShearDry you need to trigger and can't leave it on continuous so the solution temperature fluctuates wildly.
GEDC1965.JPG

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was wondering how you would like it compared to your Sheer Dry.

I like the feel and design of the Sheer Dry and if there were no Sapphire tool available would be my next choice for upholstery tools.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
I was wondering how you would like it compared to your Sheer Dry.

I like the feel and design of the Sheer Dry and if there were no Sapphire tool available would be my next choice for upholstery tools.

Well Richard, you have a new choice available too. At $299 intro price, no overspray at continuous flow, CLEAR HEAD, I have a feeling this one will outsell the more expensive SS and RV tools.
myteeimage.jpg

steve_64

ive been considering getting a new upholstery tool after reading larrys posts. the bane one sucks lol. i hate the overspray im getting from it.

i may wait till after MF since we are considering going to florida.

but, i like the idea of continuous flow to keep the heat up. my concern is, can i increase the flow in areas i need to flush better or do i just have to do multiple passes? ive tried a couple tools ive picked up in a couple deals but havent tried anything like the saphire or shear dry.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Well Richard, you have a new choice available too. At $299 intro price, no overspray at continuous flow, CLEAR HEAD, I have a feeling this one will outsell the more expensive SS and RV tools.
View attachment 1037
I'd have had much more interest in it if they would have had a conventional trigger valve setup.

I'll buy it from Lockhart for $50.00 after he's disappointed in it. :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
ive been considering getting a new upholstery tool after reading larrys posts. the bane one sucks lol. i hate the overspray im getting from it.

i may wait till after MF since we are considering going to florida.

but, i like the idea of continuous flow to keep the heat up. my concern is, can i increase the flow in areas i need to flush better or do i just have to do multiple passes? ive tried a couple tools ive picked up in a couple deals but havent tried anything like the saphire or shear dry.
You could increase the flow, but I don't. I have it at 150 psi which is the lowest my unloader goes on the TM and the flow is opened up all the way and there is no over spray. At 300 psi you would have more flow which you would adjust down with the wand flow valve. If an area is very dirty, it just needs additional preconditioning, spraying and hand bonneting with the handy dandy hand bonnet.
beachandworkaugustandseptember077_zpsfa243492.jpg

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
I'd have had much more interest in it if they wouldn't had a convention trigger valve setup.

I'll buy it from Lockhart for $50.00 after he's disappointed in it. :winky:

You get your best cleaning with the continuous flow maximizing the available heat. Once you have cleaned everything, only then should you shut off the flow and dry vac, since more moisture will have wicked up. You'll be able to see that with the CLEAR HEAD.:winky:

Reactions: Shorty

Mikey P

Administrator
Wicked up on the one side of six available?

Silly premise.
Each panel should be dry stroked before moving on.

Do you clean whole house THEN dry stroke?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
They're called dry tools for a reason; they leave the fabric almost dry when done cleaning. I only make dry passes as needed after cleaning all the cushions and the body. While putting every together and teepeeing the cushions on the platform you can tell what needs additional dry strokes. Just about nothing ever does. The tool works better set to continuous flow because you are maximizing your heat which is wasted when you are constantly shutting the tool off while triggering and preconditioning. What good is your 240 degree heat at the truck if you can only clean at half that? The heat aids in cleaning (fewer wet strokes needed) and in drying.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You get your best cleaning with the continuous flow maximizing the available heat. Once you have cleaned everything, only then should you shut off the flow and dry vac, since more moisture will have wicked up. You'll be able to see that with the CLEAR HEAD.:winky:
Get real Art. You think a dry pass won't work without a clear head? Make a dry pass then give a good wipe down with clean white terry towel.
I love the Prochem tool because you can open the recirculating valve and get extreme heat to the point you need gloves on both hands. Its just a heavy tool and will wear you out if you clean for hours.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Art, when I tried the RV tool (compared to the SS) at MF10, it felt like it was doing a better job at flushing and that coverage was more even.

Is that your experience?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
That may well be the case, Ofer, I have only used them on two jobs to compare, and neither were particularly soiled so I couldn't notice a difference in cleaning. The Rotovac puts out more solution (by design) so probably flushes better; I did see that it left areas wetter when cleaning the same cushions. You can compensate for this with the Sapphire tool by going over the area again quickly where necessary. I will be doing further side by side testing and will hopefully arrive at a definitive conclusion on this. I don't intend to keep bringing in two of the same type of tools on job forever. I still like the PMF internal jet tool best and it will most likely continue to be the first tool used on a job.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Those who specialize in trashed upholstery/Carpet/you name it.
Got to have crazy heat to even make it budge.

And seem to have forgotten that there are 3 other parts to TACT.

I clean plenty of upholstery and super heat is not that important.

Reactions: Shorty

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I can clean with a bucket hand mitt and towels but sometimes the conditions dictate HEAT.

Some fibers do not do well with additional agitation, chemical or dwell time. In fact on special care fabric that can be a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Art Kelley

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I can clean with a bucket hand mitt and towels but sometimes the conditions dictate HEAT.

Some fibers do not do well with additional agitation, chemical or dwell time. In fact on special care fabric that can be a recipe for disaster.
Yep.
I know.
The Chavez Resto way:

Cotton velvet.
Lots of heat.
Clean against the nap.
Call insurance agent.

Which by now, is on a first name basis.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Special care gets SPECIAL care. Not "Willy special" but more care special.

Go brush down a horse and shovel a little poopee. You'll feel much better about heat in cleaning.
;)

Reactions: ruff

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
:lol:

Can't do.
Horses in Grass Valley.
Yours truly in San Bruno.
Kids are making a mint doing it, or pushups.

But I had a nice Sapporo. No hot. Cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL

We have two hay burners. One is stuborn and a pig, he waits outside the barn door until I get home for a scoop of sweet feed. The other waits patiently by his feed bucket. He makes me laugh, when he eats he closes his eyes like he's in heaven. Yard art, living yard art! :winky:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom