Shirt and Hanger Flood 21-Hotel Rooms

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Our company was called Saturday afternoon to a water loss that flooded 21-rooms spread across 5-floors of the hotel. All of this damage was caused when a few teenage guests used the head of the sprinkler system to hang a shirt on.

While the story from the group of teenagers isn’t entirely clear it, it appears that someone in the group hung the shirt on the sprinkler head as a joke to keep it away from another teen. When the shirts owner tugged on the hanger to retrieve his shirt, he popped the head off of the sprinkler.

The worst part is that this event happened on the 7th floor and continued flowing downhill, affecting 4-rooms per floor until it reached the 3rd floor where it only flooded 1-room.

8-of our technicians spent Saturday afternoon extracting the rooms using Flood Pumpers and Rovers to bring the loss under control. They then used just over 90-pieces of drying equipment spread through the 5-floors to speed the drying of the floors, walls and ceilings.

The parents of the teens were staying several floors below on the other end of the hotel didn’t immediately know what had taken place. When confronted with what happened one of the parent’s of the accused teen stated “my son knows better and while I don’t know what happened in the room, I know my son didn’t do anything wrong”. :shock:

One of my technicians said he thought he overheard the staff kicking them out of the hotel.
:mrgreen:

P.S.
Due to a large lobby and the extra time it would have taken to setup and run extended hose lengths we chose to use our Flood King along with a couple of other flood pumping extractors for this loss.

While I hate to see equipment sitting idle, just never know what specialty equipment you need for a project like this.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Sounds like a great job Richard. How did the Rovers and Flood Kings do? We haven't bought a Rover yet. I was wondering if the Flood King kept up o.k.

We use our Flood Kings on a lot of jobs.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Wow, congratulations Richard, it sounds like a project you can really sink your teeth in to! My last few dry downs have been duds, (easy and only a few hundred bucks) so would you share some more information on this job?
Did you classify the sprinkler system as cat1? Did it have a fresh water feed?
If it was cat 2 how did you address the sheetrock and carpet pad?
When I think of hotels, I see cove molding and vinyl wall paper and metal wall framing, did you do any demo? Popcorn ceilings, insulation? Any lead?
On cat 2 or 3 dry downs do you use your portable flood extractors or are you concerned about exhausting contaminated, moist air back into your working environment?
Did you use your T.E.S. propane burner system, why or why not?
Were there concrete floors that the water followed the plumbing holes or did you have to deal with gyp-Crete? How did you 90 pieces of drying equipment strain the electricity needs of the hotel?
Did you ever have an adjuster bitch about having too large of a compactly dehumidifier in too small a room? Such as using extra large dehumidifiers in rooms were a large dehumidifier would be the standard?
Thanks, Kevin

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ed
Flood Kings do great with Rovers, no dumping as you're running the pump out. They really did a nice job and much easier and safer than running hoses throughout the building.

Kevin
It's more likely Cat 2, there is usually some nasty stuff when they first blow, although diluted better safe than sorry. Carpet is 11-years old and was due for replacement next year, so the management is going to push for new.

No intrusive work done to date, they are reviewing the moisture map of the rooms and trying to make a decision. Should hear something today.

The hotel is a large hotel with a good HVAC so no, no real concern of exhausting the portables. I would if it were a Cat 3.

No TES, setup and operation would have been difficult, however if it was required we could have figured something out. Conventional will be fine in this case.

Concrete and followed electrical chases. The guys said the were concerned and were limited on what they could use, if they had more juice they would have dropped more but for now it seems to be making good progress.

Yes we've had adjusters bitch about everything at one time or another.

Actually I haven't see that place, it happened over the weekend, they didn't tell me about it. My 22 year old son came pulling in that evening when I was cutting grass and told me about it.

Thanks Bill!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom