Shoe polish on furniture skirt

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
What to use on delicate fabric? I have Vacaways Spot-N-Boost & Cobbs Stain solv, any other suggestions?
IMG_0117.JPG

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I would use a soft toothbrush and a strong solution of neutral prespray. Rinse and blot with towels.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
My first reaction would not be to use nuclear options. These kind of marks usually wash off easily as they are lightly rubbed by a shoe heel. Less is more.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I find just the opposite Art. It seems like since the are rubbed up against the frame that they are more difficult to remove than just a casual grease spot.

The biggest concern I have in removal is not to pull color or abrade it to when its noticeable that something happened.

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
Check the back of the fabric to make sure that you can use a solvent based spotter, because you can delaminate the fabric if there is latex in it. Regardless of cleaning solution I would put a small water claw in the back of the fabric and spray the spots from the front of the fabric. I have found this to work almost every time as it pushes the dirt or shoe polish thru and the fabric stays as dry as possible. You can also use a drapery cleaning tool or your upholstery tool.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
As Luis states, solution on the front with vacuum on the back to pull soil through to the back side of the fabric.

I would start with All Solv Extreme and alternate with Avenge Pro. All Solv Extreme cuts the grease-like part of the shoe polish and Avenge Pro gets the color.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Check the back of the fabric to make sure that you can use a solvent based spotter, because you can delaminate the fabric if there is latex in it. Regardless of cleaning solution I would put a small water claw in the back of the fabric and spray the spots from the front of the fabric. I have found this to work almost every time as it pushes the dirt or shoe polish thru and the fabric stays as dry as possible. You can also use a drapery cleaning tool or your upholstery tool.

I'm not sure drawing the shoe polish through the fabric is a good idea. If it's just on the surface why pull it through all that unstained fabric? Shoe polish is loaded with pigments and you may just make a bad situation worse or you may get lucky and it will work. Good luck.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Thanks for the suggestions, didn't have time to work on the skirt this week but will be back next week & will report the results.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Us none craftsmen just turn the wand upside down and hit those with Truck Mix @9 on the gph
Thats not going to fly with this customer, didn't have time to work on the upholstery today because polishing the MBR Bath had to be completed before they returned from vacation (shower, counter tops, tub surround & floor)

Next week we start with the kitchen marble counter tops, then the butlers bar, service room, game room bar & 3 more bathrooms...

Here is the kitchen

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 202
Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
I'm not sure drawing the shoe polish through the fabric is a good idea. If it's just on the surface why pull it through all that unstained fabric? Shoe polish is loaded with pigments and you may just make a bad situation worse or you may get lucky and it will work. Good luck.

It is most likely already thru all the layers of the fabric, as the shoe polish or dye would have been rubbed into the fabric when the shoe rubs against it and the 1"x4" front rail board of the sofa. 25 yrs ago when I worked for FiberSeal we figured out that using an electric paint gun with OMS and a two inch vacuum hose would fix this problem most of the time.

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

I think the Stain Solv with a little agitation will work . . .

After agitation for a few minutes, spray a little prespray on the and extract . . .

Ron K

I wouldn't agitate until most is removed. You could end up schmearing it around and making it worse.
I'd lightly mist or apply distilled water or a neutral spotter first so as not to give the "pigment' a place to move to .
Also put something under to make the skirt Parallel to the floor so the stain if it did run would not be affected by gravity and wash down color.

Name
Steve Lawrence
How I might tackle this:

First use a dry cleaning sponge to gently remove any dry removable soils. Q tip with appropriate solvent. Dab. Vacuum with drapery tool. Gently rub terrycloth towel. Gently. Repeat. Possibly do q tip thing with a very very small amount of neutral detergent solution. Careful to avoid wetting out fabric. Dry quickly.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
My back & knees are aching already just thinking how long its going to take to work on 2 large sofas, 2 arm chairs & an ottoman, house manager would blow a fuse if we flipped the peaces on their backs to work on the 15 spots standing up :madder:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
My back & knees are aching already just thinking how long its going to take to work on 2 large sofas, 2 arm chairs & an ottoman, house manager would blow a fuse if we flipped the peaces on their backs to work on the 15 spots standing up :madder:
One of the benefits of a tool such as the ShearDry or the UpholsteryPro is that you can clean in the forward motion as well as pulling back. Thus you can clean a sofa skirt pushing down with the tool while standing.
july 14 rotovac sheer dry 008.JPG

Name
Steve Lawrence

Buy a nice new $10 tarp and unwrap the new package in front of him. Flip the dumb things on it.

steve_64

at the house with the red wine stain i noticed some shoe polish marks on two chairs.

i just wet a towel with my wand and genny wiped it off.

i have had some that were more difficult though.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I have a Drymaster 2 & will push down on the back side of sofas but will be more careful in the front or with delicate fabrics, pushing down can cause the skirt to tear.
163-012.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom