Should I get a small generator

I could use one to vacuum empty houses without power and remove dye stains etc. It would have to be small to fit in my truck and not be too heavy. I rented one once that ran my vac perfectly but wouldn't run the 175. Really I just need to be able to run an iron and occasionally a vac.

Any ideas?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Probably a good idea if you do a lot of rentals.

We have a small honda gen that we use to run temp lighting for fire restoration work, helps on packouts when there is no power.

Nice small size and quite, we've had it for years and always starts easy even when it sits for months.

Check the pawn shops with all the storms you guys had down that way, there are probably plenty of good slightly used ones!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Interlink Supply recently became the outlet for Pramac industrial generators. Anything from a small unit that will run your air mnovers and 175 floor machine to something that will run 10 E-TES units with all the air movers you need to dry a house.

John Watson

Unless this is your Nich, and you do alot of this, sounds like a wannado and get more toys. Some do some don't. If you do, market it to all the realtors and those who can use your type of ser. Be sure to charge extra for a service not normaly provided. In the past 30 yrs I can't remember more tan 5 or 6 res or apt cleaning job with no power. More of a restoration problem, That was part of the reason we went with SteamWay Powermatics was their onboard 110 gen. Good luck on what you decide to do, I know how full my truck is because of all the have to have tools and accessories that just seem to sit unless I talk about them to my clients.

TimP

If it's for a short period of time you need power why not an inverter and run it off the battery of your truck? Probably enough for a vacuum.....

I have an inverter that plugs in my cig adapter. Can I run a hundred foot extension cord and an iron off it?

TimP

danielc said:
I have an inverter that plugs in my cig adapter. Can I run a hundred foot extension cord and an iron off it?

You could but I doubt it would have enough current to run a vacuum. Off the top of my head I'd say you need around a 1,000-1,100 watt inverter. Most for a cigarette lighter are like under 130 watts. You need to see how many watts you are going to run, by checking the label on your tool, to get the right size inverter.

I am taking this thing back. It won't even run an iron without an extension cord. I take it I won't be able to get one that will plug into my cig lighter and power an iron.

topnotchman

They have different power inverters that have little clamps that hook on to your truck battery. They have different ratings for how much power they will support so you'll have to figure out how much the vacuum pulls. I have one that goes upto 800Watts, I know there are larger ones. Probably have to keep the van idling if its going to take a while to vacuum so you dont kill your battery.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
This should do it.

generator_large_2.jpg

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i have a honda 2000 for several years now really comes in handy
just run it out of fuel when done
and it always starts right up
cause it may sit for months
just like my wd stuff lol

but really good sevice out of this this thing

dgargan

Buy a turbo vac for your vacuum and run your iron off the truck with an inverter

Farenheit251

I have been contemplating buying a generator for years as I do mostly vacant rentals. If I get one it is going to be the Honda 2000. Have held off because of the high price but I dont want another noisy, disposable generator.
With a good red dye remover most stains will go away overnight if you wet it out well. If they are too cheap or unconcerned to give me electric they dont probably want to pay for a scrub,vac or generator charge.
Bottom Line was when I examined which accts I needed the generator for I realized they were my worst accts, rather invest the money in something to better serve my best accounts.

John Watson

tmdry said:
This should do it.

generator_large_2.jpg
If i'm not mistaken IR makes air compressors, looks like a large sandblasting holding tank behind it in the photo. Nice looking unit, The one I run was Korean war surplus..

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
John Watson said:
If i'm not mistaken IR makes air compressors, looks like a large sandblasting holding tank behind it in the photo. Nice looking unit, The one I run was Korean war surplus..

Nope, it's a generator, rated 262 kw. IR makes lots of stuff....

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Ryan said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-POWER-INVERTER-12V-DC-120v-AC-2000-4000-WATTS-/140441363967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Just wire this puppy up to your vans battery ^^^^

Be sure and leave the van RUNNING while you use it. An idling van shouldn't use much more gas then a generator and that's one less small engine to fook with.

That ebay listing makes a good point - current draw is a major consideration if you're thinking about an inverter. Look at the listing for the recommended fuse size - 500A!

Figure about 10 times the nameplate amps will be drawn from the van's battery. A typical 1200W iron draws 10 amps normally, so will draw around 100 amps from your battery. This implies a permanently installed inverter with heavy cables and proper fusing. You will be able to draw no more than around 250 watts from the cig lighter before blowing the fuse.

Keep in mind the alternator will not produce rated amps at idle, so even if you have a 100A alternator, you will be discharging your battery - even with just an iron. Not a problem if you just use it for short periods.

The problem with a 175 machine is the start-up amps. A 1.5hp buffer draws 13-15A running, but draws 3 to 5 times this for a short period on start-up. At the battery this translates to 130-150A running and upwards of 500A at start. Most cheap inverters will not handle this load and will fault out. If you intend on running your floor machine plan on spending some $ for a decent inverter and pro-level install.

Some service trucks I have seen have an inverter/auxilliary battery bank setup with a battery isolator switch wired to the van's battery. They can run the aux batteries into the ground if they want without killing the van.

Supersucker

If you want to try the inverter, connect your TM and van batts together, then use inverter with the van idling. Check the data plate on the item you want to run, you need the power factor to figure the actual energy needed. It would probably be cheaper to get a smaller vac and travel iron, which you could run on a smaller inverter.
Or go to the Northern Tool and get a small inverter gen, one of the Honda$ or the cheaper ETQ (which can be had with wireless remote).

John Buxton

I have an inverter that I hardwired to the battery with an in-line fuse. The inverter sits by the rear door and I use it to charge batteries for the drill, run my electric sprayer when cleaning RV's if no 100 is available. Just check the wattage you'll need and buy a bit bigger. Northern Tool has a 3000 watt for 400.00. I bought a POS at Harbour lasted about a year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom