Shredded A Belt Today

R

R W

I guess I can't complain, but I shredded a blower belt today. They've been on for about 2 1/2 years. It was the middle belt of 3, and it took out some wiring to the APO when it let go. I had some new spares from the used Genny I bought in the Spring, so that helped. Nothing better than spending a few hours laying on the floor of the van changing belts, and the Genesis doesn't leave much room to work around, especially the blower.

It had to be this hot, humid heat that helped in their demise....

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i'm SURE that he meant a few ...minutes!
If yor machine takes hours to change a belt....yous got the WRONG set-up!

LeeCory

There is no doubt that it takes a great amount of effort changing the belts on my Genesis. A couple hours is a fair number.

The reason it takes so long on mine is lack of space to put tools or move fingers, it is a real patience tester.

Robert, Did you put on the new Kevlar belts? Also check that you didn't knock off any heat wrap. At least you should be good now for a long time.... :)

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
LeeCory said:
The reason it takes so long on mine is lack of space to put tools or move fingers, it is a real patience tester.
Lee, I'm not familiar with kevlar belts. Can you explain? How new are they? Where do you get them?

R

R W

Bruce Humphrey said:
Was that a typo? "a few hours changing belts"

No....not a typo. My Genesis is mounted in the side door, and access to the blower is limited. The Genesis is a HUGE machine. The belts are in plain view, but the blower adjustment bolts are in a tough location. And the blower tention bolt is between the blower and waste tank. 1/4 crank per turn. It's a slow process unless you have cargo doors on both sides of the truck.

LeeCory

Shane, The reason I mentioned the Kevlar belts is that they are much stronger and last far longer than the regular belts. I get mine directly from Powerclean and I'm not sure where else they can be purchased, but I am sure they are out there. Of course make sure you get the right size for your machine. The Genesis machines use different sizes depending on when they were manufactured. Mine uses the 37

Roberts description of the belt replacement process is right on. It's a real pain...

TimP

When I replaced my blower belt on my CDS it took me 2 hours cause the adjustments for the blower and the drive shaft are hard to figure out and get to. Next time it will be faster but it's still not the smartest of design.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i have a huge tensioner so it on takes a couple of minutes. i looked at mine today and it definately is time. they are full of cracks.

gene

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Man, I lost a whole set of belts a year or two ago. It made a huge mess in my van. I check them often to make sure that won't happen again. I just swapped my belts yesterday after work. It was a little warm but only took about 45 minutes. If you have the correct tools it goes a little quicker.

Shane- Call Powerclean, they probably have them but I don't know if they will show up if you order them. The belt # is BP37

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom