Side Doors

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
Ok, I'm looking for another truck and would like to know what most of you prefer, sliding or barn doors on the side.:winky:

Chris A

Name
Chris
I've had both and have barn doors on both my vans now. After four hard years my primary vans doors have gotten a little wonky and have to be slammed shut. When I had sliders they would freeze shut sometimes and naturally over the course of many years the innards rot out and you have issues there. I don't know that either one is much better than the other.

Reactions: Ken Snow

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Either one's fine to me. I've had both. The one thing I would want is windows on the side door(s). My current van side doors are solid and the visability is poor on the right side.There's been many close calls....

Chris A

Name
Chris
Yeah I know what you mean art. I wrapped over my side windows and sometimes its kinda a bitch to see anything on that side.

Name
Brad Gouveia
I had both and for barn doors now. It really depends on how long you are planning on keeping it. When they get older the sliders do start to fall off and not shut as well. I remember a few times I opened the slider and the dam thing would come off in my hand. If your not planning on keeping it long I would get a slider but if it is something you are keeping a while go with barn.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I have the "barn" doors, it's all I've had.

Every time it's really windy out, I wish we had a sliding door. The barn doors seem like they are going to get blown off sometimes.

I guess that's better than doors falling off.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I have the "barn" doors, it's all I've had.

Every time it's really windy out, I wish we had a sliding door. The barn doors seem like they are going to get blown off sometimes.

I guess that's better than doors falling off.

Barn Door

I cut and screwed nylon straps to ours so the hinges can't be overextended, and the doors can't cause damage to another vehicle. Both side and back.

Becker

Name
Becker
FWD door seems to have a pretty good brake, the rear door I use a bungee cord tied to the inside of door, then hook it under wheel well.

Works great.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
GCCLee, I would love to see a photo of how you have yours.

It's Raining like crazy and I ain't pulling the van out tonight for the side doors, same set up though.

You can use an old ratchet strap or something similar, use self tappers and washers.

The Doors are open just beyond the cam point for the hinge so they kinda lock, by holding just a little pressure on them.
View attachment 1253

Chris

Reactions: realclean

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
The way I have to set up my machine, it takes up the whole side door opening. I need barn doors or the slider would be in the way of the exhaust.

VanPics002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: realclean

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Barn doors only, like Art said - with windows. You can always have aftermarket windows cut in.

I run the machine and hoses out of the side doors. You can close one door all the way and have only a 2" gap on the other door to keep in the heat with the machine running if need be. If parked on an angle or on windy days a bungee keeps them under control.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom