signs you need to ad another unit?

Bucey

Name
FFA?
What were are the things to look for when to start considering the addition of another truck?

Becker

Name
Becker
No not really..

I never pass on a job, I always try to book them even if it is 2 weeks out.

But they will pass on me because I'm 2 weeks out.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Right, but you're passing on them to do the people who scheduled first.

You may not be saying "pass" but you get the idea.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I have to smile when I hear some brag that they are always fully booked three or more weeks ahead. If only sheeple were that patient.

Yes in season I have slots booked weeks out, in fact even now I have work sceduled next week and recurring. However if we get booked tight we start earlier, work later, and add help to get it done.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
rstrick said:
What were are the things to look for when to start considering the addition of another truck?
Of course, the bigger question than just adding equipment for an owner-operator is when do you consider the addition of the EMPLOYEE to run the extra truck! A truck just sits there when not in use and doesn't need any extra management. Adding the tech brings the owner into a entirely different business model.

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS That being said, IMHO even a solo owner-operator can justify an extra truck if only to be a back-up unit for the inevitable breakdowns of his main unit. For example, as an owner-operator when I upgraded to my second TM I kept my older van/unit as a backup. (We all know the almost zero value of a used TM!) Then when I hired my first assistant the machine was available for him to run in emergencies and on big jobs the two of us used both machines. When I sold the company we had three almost TM's in almost constant use and the best of our older units stayed sitting by the shop for those very profitable "same day jobs".

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
PS That being said, IMHO even a solo owner-operator can justify an extra truck if only to be a back-up unit for the inevitable breakdowns of his main unit. For example, as an owner-operator when I upgraded to my second TM I kept my older van/unit as a backup. (We all know the almost zero value of a used TM!) Then when I hired my first assistant the machine was available for him to run in emergencies and on big jobs the two of us used both machines. When I sold the company we had three almost TM's in almost constant use and the best of our older units stayed sitting by the shop for those very profitable "same day jobs".
I agree with Steve when you only have one machine you're putting a lot of trust in something that has a potential for break downs. When it's down you're out of business, with a backup even if it's not the newest technology you can keep running.

It seems like when you get that second machine you get more work. Maybe it's just work that passed you by and you didn't notice before? You can also bid on larger jobs with more confidence, and process them faster when you get them.

If you're consistently booked up a week in advance, you're losing work to someone. Maybe it's time for a second truck, remember the second unit doesn't have to be a big investment. There is lots of good used equipment out there, unless you want to do as Steve mentioned upgrade to a new unit and move your existing unit to backup.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Doc Holliday said:
It seems like when you get that second machine you get more work. Maybe it's just work that passed you by and you didn't notice before? You can also bid on larger jobs with more confidence, and process them faster when you get them.
Yeah, I always call it my "Field of Dreams" analogy. "If you build it they will come." And they (jobs) do.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS If you get two jobs extra per month by being able to give faster/more reliable service you have more than paid for that back-up used TM.

Thinking about adding a newer truck to my business but not necessary due to work but, having a back-up unit incase the truck goes down I woudn't lose the jobs for that day, would that be foolish on my part- first truck and unit is paid for.

Chris A

Name
Chris
for us it was a combination of being over-worked with two guys all last season, plus our current unit getting some hours on her. I think if we didn't buy another truck we would be missing out on a lot of work this year.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
Thanks! Alot of very insightful advice. Should all trucks have two techs? just wondering what is the norm?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Lee Stockwell said:
This is a great time of year to get a good deal on a used TM and van. We just bought another 405 for backup.

Need a good low hour nissan? shiteatinggrin

Jamesh921

Name
James
Should all trucks have two techs? just wondering what is the norm?

It depends.

If you're only doing 2 or 3 jobs per day, then a one man crew would be more profitable.

But, if you have enough work to punch out 6 or 7 or more jobs per day, then a 2 man crew would definately net more money in the bank. More production = more jobs done = more money. A 1 man crew just wouldn't have enough time to upsell if he's trying to do 6 jobs a day.

In my "opinion", a one man crew should NEVER be doing more that 4 jobs per day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom