silencers again

Had today off so I decided to work on the machine. Pulled engine and replaced belt to pump. Fixed some minor leaks. Then thought about trying to quiet it down a bit. The problem I had was the machine is very quiet normally but when we park on a inclined driveway where the sound is pointed down(my exhaust is under the truck) it gets very loud. So I made a call to the the local semi shop and they had what I was looking for. I installed a 38" X 7" straight through muffler with 3½ in/out. Welded it all up and installed it. WOW is all I can say. It did the same for my little machine as it does for the big one. You don't even hear the blower noise now. All you hear is the rpm of the engine. Total cost was $80. Now my retirees will be happier as most of their drives are on an incline.

I have no clue as to WHY but the max rpms of the machine picked up from 3620 to 3730 without any load.

Mikey P

Administrator
I just found this thread.
I had no idea Harley started a new thread on the silencer subject.

My original thread on Silencers was not made in the HP room
This thread should never have been moved to the HP room.

Sorry but my Admins sometimes take their jobs too seriously.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
was the last post ...the last post or is this the last post for today or is this the last post for good...or was this post made before he made his last post which was his last post....can we have a press conference to clear this last post up

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
wish Harley would explain that but according to him on the ICS board he got banned from here. :?

steve r

i thought maybe by making it breathe better it loosened the load making the rpms increase. freed it up kinda. but what do i know.

Name
Eric Valentine
Relieving just .49 psi of back pressure is like running the blower at 1 inch less lift. The net lift should be the same, but the blower and engine have less strain on them.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I don't think he removed the existing muffler, but added an additional one.

Net effect, a little more backpressure, a bit more load on the motor. Due to that the governor likely pulled the rpm up slightly more than it had bogged down.

Name
Eric Valentine
Well Lee, if he did actually add another muffler, then I would have to agree with you. He didn't say if it was added or replaced.

Kelly

adding a glass pack wouldnt raise the rpms. the governers ive seen usually try to keep the operating speed the same. I dont think the governer raised it by itself. It might be wise to make sure the engine specs say that 3700 rpm is an ok operating speed. Oh and by the way...motors are electric....and engines run on some sort of fuel. you dont ever hear a jet airplane pilot talking about how fast his jet motors will spin, now do you. Plus you will also sound more intelligent.

Fon Johnson

What Webster says.. (Merriam Webster that is!)

Main Entry: 1mo·tor
Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'mO-t&r
Etymology: Latin, from movere to move
1 : one that imparts motion ; specifically : PRIME MOVER
2 : any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE ; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
3 : MOTOR VEHICLE ; especially : AUTOMOBILE

Greenie

We missed the mark on making Fon an Admin, maybe one of the part time Dwarves will retire and we'll be lucky enough to have Fon at the controls.

steve r

just a thought here but what if the new belt helped or by getting it aligned better removed some stress.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom