Skunked dog rubbed on wool area rug

JoeClean

6x9 wool have cleaned before safely with regular methods.

Any thoughts on safe way to clean and remove odors?

Any generic suggestions if I don't have your prefered products?

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
How is the rug constructed? Ozone can be harmful to most with latex backing.

Is your "regular method" hot water extraction? Clean by whatever method you like. Wool Perfect is our prespray for wool, but what you use to prespray will not have much affect on the odor. Simply that cleaning gets rid of much of the source of the odor. A little solvent booster in just the areas where the dog had contact will help. Citurs Solv would be a good choice, but there are several options.

If HWE surface cleaning does not remove enough of the odor, you may need to find someone who can do a flush and submersion cleaning.

Following cleaning with application of Hydrocide for Wool.

Dry thoroughly. Moisture helps transmit the odor to our noses. It will smell bad as long as their is above normal moisture in the wool or in the air. Wool can feel dry and still be very damp.

When dry use ozone or Vaportek 3X Industrial. Tent for about an hour. Then air out for an hour. Repeat 2 or 3 times if necessary.

Finish with spray application of Hydrocide for Wool.

Name
Brad Gouveia
Most wool rugs I see do not have a latex backing.

Also you could ozone it rolled up if you do not have the space/plastic to tent it rolled out. If you leave rolled the ozone go longer to penetrate the rug deeper, also help if you can elevate the rug off the floor for some air/ozone to get under it.

Last edited:

JoeClean

Unfortunately I don't have an ozone machine which seems to be the method of choice.

Name
Brad Gouveia
I did that in our garage. I ozone it for about 48 hours and it seemed fine. Only real work was taping the plastic down and hauling the futon around. Ozone did all the work.

You can rent an ozone machine. Interlink and any equipment supply store should rent it to you.

That Hydrocide may work with a good cleaning but it is pricey at around $50 a gallon if I remember right.

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

JoeClean

My closest distributor is 95 miles away so that's not happening.
If the rug is too bad I will refer customer to another cleaner, although I don't know if any in the area
have as much tech as you guys! I'm usually giving them advice.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Tom, since this is a plug for your product, why don't you go all the way and tell us a little more.
I went to your site and read the info.It does not specify how to use and seem to be on the expensive side.

Since we're all open to new products and methods, as long as they represent an improvement or are able to deal with different situations.
So why should one buy U-Turn?

Or the simple consumer question: As a cleaner, what's in it for me?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I did that in our garage. I ozone it for about 48 hours and it seemed fine. Only real work was taping the plastic down and hauling the futon around. Ozone did all the work.

You can rent an ozone machine. Interlink and any equipment supply store should rent it to you.

That Hydrocide may work with a good cleaning but it is pricey at around $50 a gallon if I remember right.

Hydrocide will be $70 to $80 per gallon depending upon the volume you purchase. However, it is a concentrate. Dilute at 4 to 8 ounces per gallon. Thus it can make up to 33 gallons. That makes a ready to use gallon between $2 and $3. Plenty of room for you to make a profit.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Tom, since this is a plug for your product, why don't you go all the way and tell us a little more.
I went to your site and read the info.It does not specify how to use and seem to be on the expensive side.

Since we're all open to new products and methods, as long as they represent an improvement or are able to deal with different situations.
So why should one buy U-Turn?

Or the simple consumer question: As a cleaner, what's in it for me?

It's retail cost to professionals is $128 a gallon concentrate. It makes 128 gallons of RTU product. That figures to $1 a gallon of RTU product.

Application is simple. Saturate the rug, allow dwell time of 30 minutes as a minimum. Rinse out and wash as usual.

Scenario: If a 6' X 9' takes 10 gallons to saturate, then your cost is $10. Charge a buck, as we charge, or $54 for the treatment for that size rug and guarantee odor removal 100%! The treatment saves time and is effective and safe for the consumer and the technician.

I did a whole house earlier this year of wall to wall carpeting where a dog got sprayed by a skunk outside, and thereafter ran through the house rubbing his body on all the carpet. The client was pleased with the result of our cleaning and wrote a public review on our carpet cleaning company due to being extremely pleased. In this instance: The application of the mixture of RTU U-Turn was though a Hydro-Spray device off our truck-mount. The saturation of the product was not applied as intense as I would have done on a wool rug (both sides) in our rug plant. However, due to it's limitation of being a topical applied treatment, we were nonetheless 100% effective in this instance for the wall to wall top cleaning and odor removal on this skunk smell job. We sprayed evenly the entire carpet and let it dwell 30 minutes and started cleaning normally HWE to get the results.

For in home costs, our charge is less per square foot than area rugs done at our shop. Our charge for area rugs is $1 a sq. ft., on top of our washing cost. When doing wall to wall in-home our dilution is less of U-Turn done topically on the carpet. We charge anywhere between $0.25 - .050 for in home treatments for urine or skunk contamination.

Note: We do not guarantee 100% odor removal for in-home wall to wall installed carpet due to the inherent limitations of reaching the source of contamination. This is always explained to the client by us and they may option out of it if desired. However, most of the time the client will opt to do it. The reasoning is common: The cost of risk for potential failure is not much compared to the cost of replacement or living with an odor anyways. We are usually effective in removing the odor completely or knocking it down to an acceptable tolerance. We know that is true by always doing a follow-up to the service. We have been using it regularly in our in home service now for over 3 years.

I will bring some to the Mikey's Fest to demo if we have some stinky rugs. Just let me know in advance.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Most wool rugs I see do not have a latex backing.

Wow, we clean lots of wool rugs every day that have a latex backing. Almost all of the tufted rugs we see are wool. Cheap wool yes, but wool none the less.

If you are looking to rent an ozone machine, you could try some local rental companies or see if there is a local restoration company that handles fire and smoke damage that might be able to rent you one.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Cannot believe no one has mentioned DD-12, Dump it in your Pre Spray and go.

For best results, when it is all Dry after cleaning and Neutralizing. Vacuum it again : )

steve_64

Cannot believe no one has mentioned DD-12, Dump it in your Pre Spray and go.

For best results, when it is all Dry after cleaning and Neutralizing. Vacuum it again : )
im not sure molecular modifier is wool safe but i love that stuff on cat pee and those types of odors.

Buck1955

Name
John
A rug guy I know uses a product called skunk off or skunk out in an immersion overnight soaking. I would think ozone is more for smoke.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I've used Masterblend's Skunk Odour Control and UrineLoc on some nasty cat pee jobs. Worked very effectively.

Grant

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom