Slide in vs. Direct Drive?? Help

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'm sure this has been done before.

I just need pro's and con's (esp for gas)
and then your yes or no opinion and why.

I'm thinking of getting another truck started next year and need something that kicks butt, is tech idiot proof and makes me money at the end of the day. Not sure that one or the other fits the description perfectly.

Anyone feel like helping me out?
Thanks,

TimP

If you want tech/idiot proof you'll need to go with a PTO system. If you want fuel savings you need to get a fuel injected slide in if you want a big machine, or a small slide in. There is no perfect machine there are positives and negatives to all. Although I think a fuel injected slide in would be more idiot proof than a smaller slide in based on the engine.

If I was going to buy a pto machine I would look at cleanco, butler, and hydramaster. There are a bunch of good slide in's out there so it depends on what size and heat and how much you're willing to spend with them.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
let me preface by mentioning I'm bias toward slide ins

why?

more performance bang for the buck is the biggest reason for me.
can be easily moved from one van to another.
I keep my TM running for a LONG time.
It will far out last the van.
Not an easy swap for a direct drive to new van
Fuel usage is lower pr hour with "most" slide-ins

I'm also of the opinion that vans aren't made to run 50mph sitting still.
Many mention the low repair/maitainence cost w/direct drives , but they rarely mention the cost of repairs to the van.
Many of those repairs directly related to driving a TM (imHo)
Like water pumps, brittle wiring harnesses, and engine cavity heat related issues

cons of slide-ins
less room in the van
More heat inside the van when driving to the next job
(especially if the TM is mounted behind the front seats)
Marty mentioned a con some time ago, I have to agree with.
Oil film (generally from the breather) from running a gas motor inside a van.
You won't notice it daily, but after the course of a year or more, you'll notice it.
We pull the unit and pressure wash the inside of the van once a year

As far as being "idiot proof", I guess direct drives would be more idiot proof.
But that would be the least of my consideration factor (personally)
It's not like a slide-in is complicated.
Further, if a knucklehead runs the pump dry with either unit, it still costs me money.
and if I can't trouble shoot and fix it over the phone, it doesn't matter if it's DD or slide-in, the thing has to come back to the shop for repair

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ohh....Meat...a Hydra Cell CAN be run dry wit no adverse effect.......jus so ya kno!
You kin even run wet CEment threw them wit no adverse effect.....

jus so ya know!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
Ohh....Meat...a Hydra Cell CAN be run dry wit no adverse effect.......jus so ya kno!
You kin even run wet CEment threw them wit no adverse effect.....

jus so ya know!

they don't run ICE through them so well
(ask me how I know :oops: :oops: )

My first TM was a SG with Hydrocell, Bob
I'm familar with the diaphram pump

..L.T.A.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I was told that the DD is what I wanted but can't help to think it's a sales pitch considering it's about 3 grand more or better. The gas prices are the major draw back.
Maybe I will just get a higher powered slide in.
Pretty happy with mine but more is better right?? lol

Mike Draper

I went in to this business 3 years ago with no experience whatsoever on TM's. With a Butler, I have yet to ever take it to anyone to get it fixed. Only break down was a HX, Put that in myself. You are going to have to do something more to a butler to get more heat though. The heat from the factory is pathetic!!

G

Heres my reply,

I use to buy slide ins, after a few years I was spending $2500 a year to keep each unit running.

I have bought 12 Butlers and the gas usage was about the same, but the cost to keep all those Butlers running I only spent $35 on a fuse for the on and off switch. So it might cost a little more at the begging but in the long run you will save a lot of money on upkeep and maintance

And plus with a slide in you smell like you have been mowing the grass all day!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Slide ins can be problematic knid of like a harley.

One day it runs perfect and then the next day something goes wrong.

I spent alot of money fixing my PC and you can have them.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Steve Lillard said:
Heres my reply,

I use to buy slide ins, after a few years I was spending $2500 a year to keep each unit running.

I have bought 12 Butlers and the gas usage was about the same, but the cost to keep all those Butlers running I only spent $35 on a fuse for the on and off switch. So it might cost a little more at the begging but in the long run you will save a lot of money on upkeep and maintance

And plus with a slide in you smell like you have been mowing the grass all day!

Not informed on the butler. Is it a DD or ?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Butler is generally recognized as one of the best DDs made, Hollywood

about the only knock I hear about them is the lack of local distributers and poor/non running chem metering pump

..L.T.A.

Jimbo

I'm slide in all the way...I own a PC Everest HP...put 8200 hours on my last prochem...I own a Butler as a back-up that is never used...have sold direct drives and slide ins...

If you need idiot-proof machines...then you need different employees.

Any machine that is well cared for is going to make you a boatland of money over the long run...Jim

Greg Loe

I would think a Judson would be great for employees. Employees are extremely rough on vans. Judson looks like an easy fix. Not a lot of electronics to go bad.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Jimbo said:
I'm slide in all the way...I own a PC Everest HP...put 8200 hours on my last prochem...I own a Butler as a back-up that is never used...have sold direct drives and slide ins...

If you need idiot-proof machines...then you need different employees.

Any machine that is well cared for is going to make you a boatland of money over the long run...Jim

I hear ya. Don't have employees now but have had some in the past. Hard to find a happy medium between idiot and sole proprietor.
If you love em they start their own.

Farenheit251

Direct drive would be the way to go for multi truck if you can afford it. Spend time on the business not fixing tms. Guys like Ken Snow and Steve Lillard run Butlers and probably have a good idea of their cost of ownership and just incorporate it into a money making system.

If money is tighter a simple machine like I got from Duane Oxley I can see using for 10-15 years. Basically I bought a good frame and design and can replace/rebuild components for a fraction of TM payments. You also get higher heat and performance for alot less money.

Bob Foster

There is nothing more simple and easy to maintain than a Judson truckmount. Hugely positive reputation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom