Sliding side door or Dual Swing side doors?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I've only ever had sliding doors. Any one had both types before? If so could you please reply and tell me why you prefer one over the other.*Gracias :)

FredC

Village Idiot
Swing doors usually don't develop issues like the sliding doors do. You can hang/attach stuff to them.

Slide usually gives slightly more access. They look a bit more ghetto to me...not sure why.

I prefer swing out.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I like the sliding doors function but as others have mentioned plan on changing the roller assembly once every five years or so depending who is using the van.

Reactions: Derek

Chris A

Name
Chris
We've had two with sliders, one was a 1990 and by the time we sold it the bottom track was rusted out, but so was the rest of the van. On the 04 we had it was fine except sometimes it would freeze shut. I have swing doors on both trucks now, on my van the door wasn't latched and swung open into the side of my garage a couple years ago, now it has to be slammed shut. So really I have no preference between the two...

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
good info. my 2 sliding have never had a problem fortunately.

Slide usually gives slightly more access.

that is the only thing that concerns me.

View attachment 2658

i have a ramp about the same as that one that slides across the width of my van right where those doors will be. i wonder if the swing doors will take an inch or 2 from the vans width right there. i also wonder if the doors when open will be wide enough for the ramp to fold open like the pic (i prefer to wheel equipment up/down from the side, not the back.)

sliding is great for parking lots to when you have to park between 2 vehicles and need side door access.

any thoughts on the possible ramp issue?

Name
Lee Stockwell
The actual accessable opening with the doors open is smaller with a slider, by about 6" on a Ford.

The last Ford slider I had once slid off the track when opened on a steep grade. Fun.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i wonder if that holds true for a GM van.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
You can open the swing doors on a GM past 90 degrees for maximum opening. I just checked my 04 and the narrowest part of the opening is 47".

Name
Lee Stockwell
I think you might have looked a the height Lee

View attachment 2661

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/eseries-cargo-van/specifications/exterior/

For 13 Chevy doesn't show a width for each that I can find. Just:
Side Door Opening Height 47.90 in
Side Door Opening Width 44.10 in

No Fred, that was by actual tape measure when we had both side by side. The opening in the side of the body is basically the same with both, less the thickness of the hinges. However the door, once slid all the way back, COVERS about 6" of the opening. We've moved many TMs into and out of each over the years.

FredC

Village Idiot
you may be right...I've haven't put a tape to them

but even with the slight overlap of the slide door still seemed like more access width.....

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The only problem I recall having with swing doors was trying to get them to stay open if the parking area wasn't perfectly flat or if the wind is blowing. Techs will door ding anything they park near.

We stopped using them years ago because we wanted the wider opening available with a slider at the time. Some manufacturers make sliders that stop short of the full width of the opening though, so if that's a concern you'd better measure for yourself. (EDIT: as shown above)

Cleaning the gruel out of the lower track and oiling the rollers once a year eliminates most slider issues, and spending $1.49 for a new bearing every five years or so is OK by me.

Last edited:

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
I've had both and I like the slider. Too many times, I get to a location that would not allow the barn style doors to open. The slider door is harder to find these days.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Tough call. Ive been wondering this myself. I have swing doors now on a chevy and they bind up sometimes but wd 40 then opening and closing about a hundred times frees it up.

Also the hinges always seem to rust.

I vote slider

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
after reading the pro's & con's i'd love to stick with sliding, but looks like i'm going to be buying a used van and i can't find a 1-2 year old 3/4 ton extended van with low miles and has a sliding door anywhere in the eastern or mid USA....hard to believe. :eekk:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
A and g auto in oklahoma has many vans and can get you one with the ford power train warranty still in effect. Shipping should be aroun 700 or so to the north east.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
tx Mike, but they have nothing new enough in stock. the only cargo van they have as a 04 w/ 249k :eekk:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I was just there on Thursday and he had 5 2011 with under 70000 miles meaning they still have 30000 miles of power train warranty left on them. For under 14000.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
pretty good deal! i am going to pick up a '13 w/ 18k miles in a few...drove all over half of NYS yesterday and found one. sadly it has swing doors. there are hardly any sliding alternatives across the eastern half of the country. and it is white :( at least i'm rust free for a few years :) tx fellas.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I'm sure the doubles last longer than the slider I just prefer the space saving of the

slider, When it come to tight parking situations. other then that probably the doubles when my slider stops sliding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Sliders...never had a problem with them. Lube them up and keep your vans clean. Less likely to have problems. Double swing doors are a pain to me. Never enough room (such as today at apartment building or other commercial parking we had) and the dang doubles are always closing or we are hanging on to them so they don't hit another vehicle or person always getting in the way.

Mark Saiger

Ron K

I like the double swing doors you can almost bungie them shut to keep it warmer in winter and quieter too.

Name
Steve Lawrence
I have both and prefer sliders. Treat them gently and they work fine for many years.

The swing outs are always in the way especially in a garage or tight driveways.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom