Smells so bad, I don't think I can even do it

A few weeks ago, I cleaned a parquet floor smeared with dog feces. The dog had been put down a few days before I got there, very sick. The homeowner stayed in a hotel until the weekend. He didn't want anyone in the home alone in case something happened. I mopped and scrubbed with mint quat the first day, the next day I did a screen and recoat. I was wearing an N95 mask the first day. I puked only once it was so foul. It was the nastiest thing I ever did. The guy paid me well, gave me close to a 100% trip, in cash.
This afternoon set a new record. The children of the owner need the place cleaned. Maybe demolished would be a better route. Imagine sticking your head in a bottle of ammonia, then you will understand. Burns my eyes. They wanted me to rip out the carpet to reveal the floor and hopefully save the wood floor with a screen and recoat (I wouldn't bet on it). They have some windows open and a little fan in one window. Doesn't do a thing.
I couldn't even stay in there to measure and look.
I'm going to try again tomorrow. I have a 30" drum fan that moves 5500 cfm. I have a 24" drum fan on a stand that moves 4,000 cfm. Maybe with some fresh air flowing in I can at least look at the place. They tell me there were 4 cats in there. I don't believe it, I'd bet more like 24.
Any ideas how to knock down the foulness or just pass on this one, because my gut says this is a demo job, not a cleaning job.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
How Hungry Are Ya?

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Reactions: Erik

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Any ideas how to knock down the foulness or just pass on this one, because my gut says this is a demo job, not a cleaning job.

doesn't take a lot of cats to foul a beyond restoration .
one or two can do it in a year or two

if it's as bad as you say, you can't fix it with any amount of deo, oxidizer or wOnder jUice .
make the custy aware of that, then let them decide if they want you to clean it or not

also, cats squirt baseboards, walls, door jambs and furniture "azz high"
Those have to be washed and shellac sealed too to correct a problem house/apt.
and if the offending cat(s) aren't gone, you're pi55ing in the wind..no pun intended

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Erik
How Hungry Are Ya?

Not that hungry. I decided I will pass. I don't want to go in there, do an estimate, tell them something like $3,000 and have them balk. Just to cut and pull the nasty carpet is doing to be $500+ and the have to do it now, it is spring clean up week. If they don't that's a dumpster. No way to hold onto that nastiness a year. I pulled carpet and pad last year on a screen and recoat, a week after spring clean up. They said "how much could it cost?" It was enough to fill my S-10 twice. Each load was like $100 at the dump to leave it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Not that hungry. I decided I will pass. I don't want to go in there, do an estimate, tell them something like $3,000 and have them balk.

must be too busy, huh?
don't have the time due your FULL schedule...or what?

Just to cut and pull the nasty carpet is doing to be $500

OK, so?? :oldrolleyes:

..L.T.A.

must be too busy, huh?
don't have the time due your FULL schedule...or what?

OK, so?? :oldrolleyes:

..L.T.A.

More full than you'd imagine, but who's counting?
These were the people who wouldn't have $500 to even pay for the 1st day's work. My gut said they were broke and trying to turn a little profit on "the estate". It was low-rent ghetto neighborhood. I know that happens way too much, but I am where I am and I have to do what I have to do. I'm glad that makes you feel like you are somehow better than me. I got the guts to clean in places you wouldn't even get out of your locked van running red lights. I may not have money, but I have guts and backbone. Prove to me you have either before you get one ounce of respect out of me smart ass.

Peter did you use to work for Zoots?
Know idea who that is. I never cleaned for anyone other than myself. I spent 20 years in printing/graphic arts, then 7 years driving transit buses between here and NYC. Got tired of being sassed by people over traffic on NJ Turnpike and Lincoln tunnel, as if every traffic jam was my fault. I can only take credit for one when I blew a tire in the tunnel and it smoked so bad, you couldn't see 10' in front of you if you were behind me. I didn't stop ontil I got out of the tunnel, did 5 mph the whole way. To me, that was the funniest day of my life. I believe 57 out of 57 passengers called to complain to dispatch over my blown tire. My response was "**** 'em, I'm in the union and I'm a steward with seniority."

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
It was low-rent ghetto neighborhood. I know that happens way too much, but I am where I am and I have to do what I have to do. I'm glad that makes you feel like you are somehow better than me. I got the guts to clean in places you wouldn't even get out of your locked van running red lights.

LOL!!

Brother, the majority of my biz for the last 10+ years is rehab'ing sec 8 properties.
fixing/replacing cabinets, doors, floors, plumbing and more, painting, cleaning, etc
there's NOTHING you've seen that we haven't seen and done ...dozens of times already

we filled a 40yrd dumpster last week with the contents, rubbish and trash from just two units we turned

maybe one day I'll tell you about the property we found a littler of dEad decomposed cats/kittens in the dresser
(the scumbag tenet abandoned them)

I only play a "prima donna" on TV
I real life, I get my hands dirty

..L.T.A.

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
Hey Peter,

I can't speak for Larry but, I think he was trying to say was your posts indicate your business is drifting...so why not take the job? In one post you mention you are struggling financially and the next you come off as sounding like you are above even considering a rip and haul away ( or leaving the carpet on the curb for heavy item pickup in you town for later this week ). $500 for a few hours of work... I'd at least give it some thought. Tack an extra 20% for pain and suffering.. that way you can throw out all your dirty clothes and buy some new clothes. Is it something I'd want to do daily? F*ck no!! If you don't think these people can afford it and your afraid you'll get shafted.... ask for he money upfront. If they balk.. walk away and thank them for considering you. Use the time you would have spent doing that job to network, fill your pipeline with other potential cleaning jobs that are more satisfying to you financially or otherwise.

Don't get pissy with Larry... he'll put a cap in your azz!! :biggrin: Seriously though, Larry is as legit and as straight a shooter there is. I've talked with him lots of times on the phone for help with my Powermatic TM, chemicals, equipment, etc.. he's always been more than helpful.

The problem with Larry is he doesn't follow trends or fads.. and that sometimes leaves him to be perceived as a someone who is not progressive because he's going against all the board conventional wisdom at the time.

I actually like the fact that Larry is usually one of the few people to cry foul when he thinks something doesn't pass the sniff test.. Marty, Lee, Jim Martin, Bawb etc.. are all guys who do the same.. although I think Marty just hates everyone. When Larry give his opinion about something, he'll explain his reasoning for his answer. He doesn't say ... "that's dumb or I don't think that will work". A lot of guys are quick to poo-pooing someone's ideas or opinions but then never go that last step and explain their position or opinion. Maybe that's because it's easier to look like you know what your talking about when you don't and go along with the majority.

I've got to say, it took a lot of brass to come on here and lay out all your business, personal, financial problems out here the way you did. Understand, when that happens, people may take issue with something you''ve said. It doesn't mean you are a bad person. They are questioning your decision making that's all.. they are actually trying to help in a "tough love" sort of way. Sometimes there is no easy way to address a subject except to be blunt about it and that is hard to listen to.

I see what you are saying abot your market and there is not much carpet to be cleaned in these big homes. I'd focus on wood floor care; cleaning, polishing, maintenance.. maybe not screening and recoating so much because as you said that's not an annual job.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
pi55ed off the FNG ...:icon_rolleyes:

Pete, I like to slather peanut butter on my Little Debbie Oatmeal cream pies, but "sugar coating" things ain't one of my better virtues

"cherry picking" jobs is great..WHEN/IF you're in a po$ition to do so
But you're telling us how "tough" things are, and then in the next breath tell us you won't bother to give someone an estimate???
because they "might" not accept the proposal??

I'm at a lose to understand that logic

..L.T.A.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
pi55ed off the FNG ...:icon_rolleyes:

Pete, I like to slather peanut butter on my Little Debbie Oatmeal cream pies, but "sugar coating" things ain't one of my better virtues

"cherry picking" jobs is great..WHEN/IF you're in a po$ition to do so
But you're telling us how "tough" things are, and then in the next breath tell us you won't bother to give someone an estimate???
because they "might" not accept the proposal??

I'm at a lose to understand that logic

..L.T.A.

Uhh Weenie Maybe : )

Chris A

Name
Chris
LOL!!

Brother, the majority of my biz for the last 10+ years is rehab'ing sec 8 properties.
fixing/replacing cabinets, doors, floors, plumbing and more, painting, cleaning, etc
there's NOTHING you've seen that we haven't seen and done ...dozens of times already

we filled a 40yrd dumpster last week with the contents, rubbish and trash from just two units we turned

maybe one day I'll tell you about the property we found a littler of dEad decomposed cats/kittens in the dresser
(the scumbag tenet abandoned them)

I only play a "prima donna" on TV
I real life, I get my hands dirty

..L.T.A.

Yeah I refer Larry to jobs in neighborhoods where my white ass is afraid to go!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Yeah I refer Larry to jobs in neighborhoods where my white ass is afraid to go!

LOL!!

years ago I was doing a job in LA (lower Akron to those not familiar)

a young Nubian Princess a few doors down stepped out on the porch and said

"hey white boy, bet you'd like suck on this wouldn't you?"

as she showed me her boob
i just smiled and went on about my business

If Joni wasn't married, I'd of taker her up on her offer :afro:

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Chris A

Name
Chris
LOL!!

..L.T.A.

Too funny, I dunno if I've even heard the term Lower Akron? I try to stay away from any streets between 76 and 224, N Arlington and Kenmore, and the eastern half of Copley Road, but I still get the occasional Ol Lady that calls for 2 rooms and a Barka Lounger...

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
LOL!!

..L.T.A.

My guess is that she was a "professional service provider" Larry.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Me neither Dirk. Over 4 decades in this business and not even a hint that way. That's tough on the ego! :frown:

I prefer to imagine that they think that "I'm out of their league"....its more comforting to my fragile ego. :winky:

:lol:

Chris A

Name
Chris
So from my vantage point of the squared circle it would appear as if Peter "not in my market" Hewell has been tko'd from blows by both Tom "no offense but" King and Larry "ni**a please" Capitoni" in four rounds...

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I would say tom wants to drop kick waldo {or whoever it was} for wasting his time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom