SMOG check time for van

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I have to SMOG check the spare van that I've only driven a few times in the past 20 months.
The smog check tech advised that I need to drive the van at least 350 miles over a 1 to 2 week period in order to reset the computer or it might fail the test.
He showed me a handful of reports from vehicles to back up his advice.

What are your thoughts?
Does this seem vaild?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I have to SMOG check the spare van that I've only driven a few times in the past 20 months.
The smog check tech advised that I need to drive the van at least 350 miles over a 1 to 2 week period in order to reset the computer or it might fail the test.
He showed me a handful of reports from vehicles to back up his advice.

What are your thoughts?
Does this seem vaild?
In Mi we simply put a "test" Pipe in
Until they realized that everyone was
Doing it....stupid law

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I believe the newer smog test machines are hooked up directly to CA- DMV computers, so they get the reading live from your car's computer and the testing computer.
Making cheating difficult. And I bet the fines, if caught, reduce the willingness of the shop to cheat.

FredC

Village Idiot
has it had the codes reset/dead battery

if so yes....it has to run all required test

here you can get by with one incomplete test out of the many that run.

I guess there is a chance they reset with no driving....or maybe even runtime is checked in CA (doubt it)

Most halfway decent OBDII tools have a ready test which will show which test have completed.....you can also find the drive patterns for most vehicles to complete the test routine quickly

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Go to Harbor freight. You can see the code I’ve been in the current system you have to drive cars are they called do you have a good battery dozen. Bike

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Sorry. Voice to tex isn’t working. Get a code reader at harbor freight. I would let you use mine but you’re too far away.

FredC

Village Idiot
6826B984-3B75-46F9-B848-11E872136C77.jpeg

Reactions: Papa John

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
has it had the codes reset/dead battery

if so yes....it has to run all required test

Yea Fred- the battery was dead a few times in the 20 months it sat. I've had to charge the battery a few times.
asking about the battery was the tech's first question he asked me.

I have a code reader and will try that too.

FredC

Village Idiot
Yea Fred- the battery was dead a few times in the 20 months it sat. I've had to charge the battery a few times.
asking about the battery was the tech's first question he asked me.

I have a code reader and will try that too.

Then you'll need to drive it. The 300 miles or so he suggested should do it but you can also look online for the driving pattern used to reset them all. Not sure how easy the drive pattern would be to complete in your area. What year/model?

The tool will allow you to see when the monitors are ready so you don't waste time at the emissions place....but won't help you other than that unless there is an issue/code

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
We’ll go get a Baconator
A Chick-fil-a recently opened up in my area. With only the drive-through being open, the lines were sometimes 1.5 hours long but often 30-45 minutes long.
Being curious, I wanted to try their chicken sandwich. I was in line for about 20 minutes.

I think Wendy's makes better chicken sandwiches.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Nate W.
A Chick-fil-a recently opened up in my area. With only the drive-through being open, the lines were sometimes 1.5 hours long but often 30-45 minutes long.
Being curious, I wanted to try their chicken sandwich. I was in line for about 20 minutes.

I think Wendy's makes better chicken sandwiches.

Just imagine all the fun you’d guys have waiting for 1.5hours.. :eekk:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom