Snow and O'Halick...Q for you big timers...

Mikey P

Administrator
So far this year would you take a guess as to how many times a customer has called in asking if your method voided carpet warranties?

Do you hear it more (if at all) from commercial or residential clients?

Have either of your companies ever been sued for using improper methods or materials?

Are all Cleaning Techs on staff fully aware of cleaning in compliance?

Do they get the home owner or manager to sign off when they have to take measure outside the guidelines in order to get the carpet as clean as possible?

Do you reward employees with an Apple Fritter as apposed to a standard Glazed on Fridays if they can recite what the acronym IICRC stands for?

Mikey P

Administrator
Ken, how about in the last decade?

and how about any company represented here with more than 3 trucks can answer these questions too..

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I recall one lady years ago referring to her carpet warranty...that's probably because she got screwed into purchasing the thing and was having buyer's remorse.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Mikey P said:
So far this year would you take a guess as to how many times a customer has called in asking if your method voided carpet warranties?

Do you hear it more (if at all) from commercial or residential clients?

Have either of your companies ever been sued for using improper methods or materials?

Are all Cleaning Techs on staff fully aware of cleaning in compliance?

Do they get the home owner or manager to sign off when they have to take measure outside the guidelines in order to get the carpet as clean as possible?

Do you reward employees with an Apple Fritter as apposed to a standard Glazed on Fridays if they can recite what the acronym IICRC stands for?
I'm no "big timer" but I AM in fairly regular contact with our over 2500 SFS members. (And when I sold my carpet cleaning company we were running the snot out of four TM's.) I would echo what Ken and Brian said.

Steve
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Speaking as a private citizen now (and not representing Jon-Don) here is my cut-to-the-chase analysis of what most mill's warranties should read in reality:

"You have our carpet- we have your money. Quit bothering us. Goodbye."

Mikey P

Administrator

and after you get through to us maybe 13 times we'll send out a over weight, broken down ex carpet cleaner to tell you that the last guy who cleaned it voided your warranty so please don't call again.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Mikey P said:

and after you get through to us maybe 13 times we'll send out a over weight, broken down ex carpet cleaner to tell you that the last guy who cleaned it voided your warranty so please don't call again.
Tony isn't fat ...

IB

PS Of course, I haven't seen him since he retired.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Steve Toburen said:
[quote="Mikey P":1q2xun5u]

Tony isn't fat ...

IB

PS Of course, I haven't seen him since he retired.[/quote:1q2xun5u]

You're all horrid.
Bill is so much nicer to me.

Oh and for the 20 yrs we ran a few trucks my answers would mirror those of swishy pants.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
-The question does get asked, probably once very few weeks. It usually isn't driven by the carpet warranty though. The question has been planted by some other cleaner that said their competition's methods would void a warranty.

-We hear it more from commercial clients with either a new facility manager or new carpet. If they've had problems with a previous installation they are very aware of warranties, and a new FM doesn't want to do what got the previous one fired.

-No.

-For the most part, yes. None of us know the detail of every manufacturer's specific requirements, but only Milliken would be negative about our products and methodology.

-Why would anyone have to clean outside the guidelines? Cheaters! somewhat amus

-No, but we do make sure no one is crossing their fingers behind their backs when they say the pledge.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
HWE baby!

We're dirt removers not dirt disguisers!

PS: I do understand your fear of the warranty police after seeing your investment in carpet painting equipment. :shock: shiteatinggrin

Name
Jesse
In the last 6 years we've had a couple residential customers ask, mainly due to competitors claims as Bryan mentioned. I've had 3 commercial customers give us a copy of their consumer care guide and ask us to comply with it or asked if we did. Each of them had over 20,000sf, bought it within the last 3 years, failed to comply with it themselves, and were unaware what it said.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We probably only use low moisture on a third of the commercial work we do. Still HWE the majority of it but what I like about the low moisture is it has opened up a lot of doors that were previously closed.

Now we give them options, chose us for HWE or if budget is a concern, we have low moisture as an option.

Of course being an outlaw, I prefer to use Powerglides (rotary) when HWE.
:mrgreen:

leesenter

There are Stainmaster stores in our area. These stores do specify IICRC certified cleaners, so yes we do get asked maybe once a month.

Commercially in our GTA area there is a lot of competition on commercial carpet maintenance contracts. The net result of this is that the lowballer bonnet cleaners cause the other companies to continually bring up the subject that bonnet cleaning voids warranties.

I teach carpet cleaning across Canada both for the IICRC and my own 4 and 8 hour classes. I can tell you that every region has its own story.

charles

I had a person call a couple of months ago thet received a
letter from 3M about his carpet warranty. It said he needed to
have his carpet cleaned by a certain date by a certified cleaner
to keep his warranty in effect.

After I cleaned it, I had to fill out the form, company info, certifications
and what method of cleaning I used along with the PH of the pre-spray.

He said he needed to send the form with a copy of the cleaning invoice back to
them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom