So, any of you high flow (10+) wand guys..

Mikey P

Administrator
go back to a 06 wand?

It's been so long for me I forget how much faster a 010 or 012 or more wand really is...or is it really?

Is the industry standard of 06 a cop out to make HX units function properly or is six good enough to clean most kapets :?:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I up'd my greenhorn to 15 flow. Went back to 10, wasn't happy. Back to 15. Seems to be the sweet spot with 03 jets. 20 flow would go through too much water too quickly.
6flow with a 2 jet angled jet wand would work fine I think, just smaller pass width. same flow just smaller area.

woodsey

Does 9 flow count on a titanium wand ? Seems to be the best balance for me anyway for the high heat and water use. I would like higher flow but my tank runs out to fast. I run 400 psi 95% of the time and go higher on rat nasties. I also run 2 1/2 hose to the house. Heat set at 230 / 240 at the truck. Greenglide with holes. High flow is faster, no question in my opinion. As a educated guess I would say by about 15 to 20 % .. Well worth doing if you have the right equipment. If you have the right equipment and you are not using high flow then your production is not where is should be. Woodsey

Chris A

Name
Chris
I needed to re jet my Ti wand and bought 15's instead of 02s. I'll let ya know if I notice a difference.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Chris Adkins said:
I needed to re jet my Ti wand and bought 15's instead of 02s. I'll let ya know if I notice a difference.

I'll be curious what you discover Chris.
I know you're just a pUnk kiD... :lol: I also know you're no dummy... !gotcha!

..L.T.A.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I've been running a 5 jet, 14" greenhorn with 10 and 20flow off of my diesel fired heater.

Once I picked up that "industry standard" toy- it feels like a toy...

I'd never go back to it. Too small too slow and with a liquid burner there is no reason not to up the flow. It will keep it hot.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
High flow is relative to the machine it's hooked to. You sure as hell wouldn't want to run 18 flow with a Bane unit, and with a porty or a small freshie tank you'd be filling the machine so often it would add to your cleaning time, not reduce it. even glided, but with a #5 or 6 blower and plenty of incoming water the sky is the limit.

Take care,
Lisa

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
we have them (ti ) atleast at 12 flow and some at 18 flow. it depends what we are cleaning. we found an immediate and drastic increase in the energy- heat transfered to the carpet. we also noticed that the chem usage could be dropped signifacantly and still achieve a good cleaning. if the tm has a large blower you should at least try a higher fllow.

why so many questions on flow and hxs?

Mike Draper

Ron Lippold said:
we are still running 2 ti wands on with 18 flow and the other with 24 flow. I would never go back....

I'm curious, have you bucket tested your 18 flow to see how much water your using per minute?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
If I was a prophet, I would predict Mikey is torn between a large HXer machine like the SS870 and another TNT for his "big truck."

He will travel the route of Jim Martin in sticking with a larger vehicle just with a high performance slide in of some kind.

Mike Draper

I have a twelve flow TI wand and I run it at 2 gallons per minute. my 15 flow zipper jr is exactly the same 2.0 gallons per minute. the size of the line on your wand will limit your flow no matter how big your jets are.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
The design of my single jet Steam Way wand will give greater cleaning than my 14" 5 jet Greenhorn, but the trade off is that the Steam Way is only about half the swath of the Greenhorn. When I need extra punch, I just use the rotovac instead.

When I bucket tested the difference, the Greenhorn put out about 50% more water flow than my Steam Way wand. It is just that the Steam Way wand is more aggressive with impact and larger water stream.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
12 on the TI wand and 10 on the Green Horn. I put 15 on the TI wand and went through a ton of water 2 500 PSI, didn't really notice a difference so went back to 12

didn't really like using over 200 gallons of water on a 1800 sq ft house

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Yep, it's totally related to your system. What you put down you have to pick up. It's news to me there is an industry standard. I'm sub standard.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Mike Draper said:
I have a twelve flow TI wand and I run it at 2 gallons per minute. my 15 flow zipper jr is exactly the same 2.0 gallons per minute. the size of the line on your wand will limit your flow no matter how big your jets are.

I run .09 flow and I run 2 gals. a min.... Probably would get better dry times with higher flow since it doesn't hit the carpet as hard.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey P said:
go back to a 06 wand?

Is the industry standard of 06 a cop out to make HX units function properly or is six good enough to clean most kapets :?:

A well-designed HX will deliver more heat to the carpet with higher flow.

Most of my customers use four #2 jets (8) on their Bentley or 14" CMP wands.

A few use four #3 (12) jets.

We do operate at higher pressures than most TM's (550).

Larry

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Give me heat over flow any day.........I tried the flow thing with the Vortex......

all it did was force me to raise the temp on the therm oil to help pick up the pace with the with the water....
broke down my therm oil faster....limited my ease of jobs because it emptied my fresh tank faster..and filled the waste tank....seemed like I was blowing threw wand valves much quicker.....
wasted time doing extra dry strokes that I normally would not have to do...

at the end of the day....I could not tell any difference at all between the high flow and a well balanced set up with good heat.....

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Mikey P said:
go back to a 06 wand?

It's been so long for me I forget how much faster a 010 or 012 or more wand really is...or is it really?

Miguel,

The 06 size was the standard long before heat exchangers came into existence. When they did begin to get a foothold, the more common jet sizes actually were smaller- typically 04 and for "entry- level" systems, I've seen 02's.

One thing to look at as much as anything else, IMO, is the width of the wand. The typical "12 inch" wand is 11.5" of the ones I've taken the time to measure. So 2 jets cover an area that is half that, or about 5 inches each. 14 inch wands with 3 jets have a little less width per jet and a 14" / 4- jetter has even less per jet.

Jet proximity, or closeness to the carpet is a biggie. The reason is that so much pressure is lost over a distance. (You can prove this at any self- service car wash. You instinctively move the spray gun's nozzle closer for harder to remove residues like bugs on bumbers and windshields, etc.) So, multiple jets allow the exit point of the stream to be closer to the carpet as well. And since all wands aren't built the same with regard to jet placement and proximity, it's likely to vary from wand model to wand model as much as anything else.

Still, there's no question that high flow cleans better. Why? Because it flushes more efficiently. And the dirtier the carpet, the more evident this is.

But then... You know that from experience.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Still, there's no question that high flow cleans better. Why? Because it flushes more efficiently. And the dirtier the carpet, the more evident this is.

If your looking at flushing a carpet...a well balanced RX or the 360i is the better answer and will out clean the wand anytime....plus you get the best of both worlds because you can keep your heat........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Duane Oxley said:
Except for the fact that they're slower and can't clean corners... 8)

not really.....its a wash.....the 360i makes up for the time lost doing all the dry strokes that you have to do with a wand.....it fits under the toe kicks and edges of beds.....you can ride the base boards and edge with it just as good with a wand......as far as the corner thing.....that has always been taken 9 different directions.....but in most cases..it is just a small area that sees no activity....if you are pre-vacuuming and edging..that little area is no different then not cleaning behind something....and once you brush the carpet it blends right in......

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Duane Oxley said:
Still, there's no question that high flow cleans better. .

yes, but only to a point .
Once that point is reached , the returns on further increase greatly diminish

not unlike heat.
There's a substantial difference going from 180 to 240.
But little to NO difference going from 240 to 280

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom