So, I Had To Change Up Our Commercial Sales System...

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I don't even know how i ended here after doing this for so many years. But it happened...

Basically, over time i changed how we sell commercial jobs. We started off same way i always have sold commercial cleaning contracts: walk thru, create proposal, come back next day {or couple days later} and give quick presentation.

Somehow i evolved to giving an estimate and closing right on the spot, or doing call back 3-5 days later. This is what happened... our contracts/packages really took a nose dive over the last couple years. Yes i sold quite a bit of 1x customers but very few contracts. Except for the largest jobs, we still gave custom proposals for large jobs but not mid-small.

Sooo... I contacted steve from SFS fame and asked him to give me a blunt opinion on what we were doing wrong.
Welp, he sure let me have it and I'm glad he did.

After looking at our numbers since we started, it was clear he was right. Guess i couldn't see it because the revenue number kept going up some years but i was working a lot harder to pull it off. Those first couple years we sold some sweet contract jobs that we still have today. Guess i was trying to become more productive but ended up shooting myself in the foot.

The Motto now is SLOW DOWN!
For us anyway, its better to sell 1 contract then 4- 1x jobs.

Thanks Steve :winky:.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
so do you plan on reverting back to the old way, walk-thru, proposal, demonstration? Or switching it up to something new?

Been researching lately both WDR and Commercial side of things, and would be interested in hearing more of what works for you.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sooo... I contacted steve from SFS
link1.gif
fame and asked him to give me a blunt opinion on what we were doing wrong.
Welp, he sure let me have it and I'm glad he did.
See that's where you went wrong, you asked him.:lol:

Hell, he tells me what I'm doing wrong and I don't even ask! :p

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
so do you plan on reverting back to the old way, walk-thru, proposal, demonstration? Or switching it up to something new?

Been researching lately both WDR and Commercial side of things, and would be interested in hearing more of what works for you.

No demonstrations unless its really big, to be honest most people just take my word for it.

Walk thru, back to office and make up a proposal, come back next day or so to give a quick presentation of proposal.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
So basically, you stopped using a system that was effective? I think it is easy to become complacent in business, especially after you do all the hard work to get to a comfortable position and develop systems that work and things go on auto pilot. Sometimes remembering all of the hard times of hitting the pavement because you HAD to in order to eat that week is good for everyone.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
So basically, you stopped using a system that was effective? I think it is easy to become complacent in business, especially after you do all the hard work to get to a comfortable position and develop systems that work and things go on auto pilot. Sometimes remembering all of the hard times of hitting the pavement because you HAD to in order to eat that week is good for everyone.

It wasn't complacency but the opposite. When you grow in real life then time management becomes an issue, i tried to become more productive.
We all go on auto-pilot but the question is what habits are you repeating everyday?

For arguments sake i should have slowed down the number of estimates per week from 5 to 2. Focused more on quality estimates instead of just banging them out.

One of the reasons i am so addicted to this industry... its just so dam challenging!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
It wasn't complacency but the opposite. When you grow in real life then time management becomes an issue, i tried to become more productive.
We all go on auto-pilot but the question is what habits are you repeating everyday?

For arguments sake i should have slowed down the number of estimates per week from 5 to 2. Focused more on quality estimates instead of just banging them out.

One of the reasons i am so addicted to this industry... its just so dam challenging!

Now I get where youre coming from. Ive fallen victim to that myself and left too much money on the table. So how do you plan to fix it?

Sent from my LGL96G using Tapatalk

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm not following the logic here. You're saying that by merely postponing the actual handing the estimate to the prospect by a couple of days, instead of handing it to them right at the time of the inspection, you've increased your closing rate?

rick imby

Name
Rick
Shane are you going to go back to giving a yearly cleaning contract presentation instead of just a one time bid?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I'm not following the logic here. You're saying that by merely postponing the actual handing the estimate to the prospect by a couple of days, instead of handing it to them right at the time of the inspection, you've increased your closing rate?

No, it changes everything....

Onsite you have to have an estimate form template and try to squeeze in everything. Plus make pretty quick decisions.
Now i can go back and make a custom estimate up, plus have the time to think through what services they might need and not know it.

Put together a package including the breakroom vct 1x year, restrooms t/g, etc.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
No, it changes everything....

Onsite you have to have an estimate form template and try to squeeze in everything. Plus make pretty quick decisions.
Now i can go back and make a custom estimate up, plus have the time to think through what services they might need and not know it.

Put together a package including the breakroom vct 1x year, restrooms t/g, etc.

Well, there you go. That separates you from the two or three other dudes who gave estimates. Plus, by offering your other services you create a package customized to their needs. Maybe the men's restroom stinks of urine. That's a simple problem easily solved by you, you can point out ( tactfully). Every job is unique and you can own the job if you want, with a little follow-up.

Reactions: Shane Deubell

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Well, there you go. That separates you from the two or three other dudes who gave estimates. Plus, by offering your other services you create a package customized to their needs. Maybe the men's restroom stinks of urine. That's a simple problem easily solved by you, you can point out ( tactfully). Every job is unique and you can own the job if you want, with a little follow-up.

Exactly Art :winky:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom