So I recently had a very large job and needed help... Deadbeats...

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
The job was a library maybe 5-6k sqft, pretty easy encap 3/4 of it and hwe the entry way and used areas.

I really wanted to try and get some help for this one and be done in 4 hours or so. So, I start calling a few people that I know who are not working/employed.

All three people I asked didn't want to make $25 per hour to move chairs and fill sprayers, maybe vacuum if it's not to much to ask!

One of the people I asked, I shit you not... Said, "Friday mornings are his garage sale days, so he couldn't help! Omg, really? He sells garage sale stuff on ebay and tells me he's killing it. Lol.:hopeless:

So I'm not dealing w/deadbeats anymore, has anyone used a temp agency for part time help? How did it go? Would you do it again? Why did you stop? Any questions I should be sure to ask?

I understand the temp place will add 5 bucks or so to the hourly wage I will pay. Doesn't seem so bad. We clean for a temp place, I know they are good. That's the first place I'll start.

The maintenance man actually stacked all the chairs, thank goodness. I also helped him put everything back when done, it was the least I could do. Ended up taking about six hours by myself and I got to keep all my money. I still need to have a back up plan.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We use Temps to hire through, you set the parameters and they find someone that fits that bill.

We had 7-different guys helping us get though a large mold job, some only lasted a couple of days. One is good enough to keep, another couple are only used as grunt worker, hauling out debris so as not to kill our regular guys.

It is a great resource, sometimes there are good candidates sometimes there is no one you would want. We are very picky who we would allow to go in a home so there are stretches where they won't have anyone but generally there a few to pick though.

Tell them you only want someone that they themselves would allow in their home.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
I'm not sure if things changed but years ago when I looked into this the temp agencies would not let you allow their people Into residential homes. If all your going to use them for is commercial you should be ok

Reactions: Scott Rogers

Scott Rogers

I'm not sure if things changed but years ago when I looked into this the temp agencies would not let you allow their people Into residential homes. If all your going to use them for is commercial you should be ok

thats what i got too when i looked into it

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Could it be the agency? You wouldn't have wanted them if the are afraid to let them in peoples homes. :eekk:
We use Express Personnel, Key Staffing they ask what we want, "temp temps", or long term prospects.

I'd stay away from the Labor Ready type agency's, that's a rough crowd.

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I know a few different people who quit their full time jobs to buy stuff at garage sales and resell it on eBay and through other collectible sites. They were all highly paid - over $75k per year. There is a lot of $ in collectibles for people who know what they are doing. It sounds like much more fun then vacuuming and moving chairs.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Lol, Thank's Rob!

I checked his ebay store, he ain't making poop! Like 30 things listed.

More likely just lazy and don't wanna work for $25 an hour(lol)! This seems odd to me.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
This happens to be my problem. People just don't want to work. Most temp services will allow you to recruit your own people and pay them through the service. I pay 35% above their wage and this covers their taxes and workers comp.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I use craigslist. On it in there is a "Gigs" section it is for short term employment. Anything like help with yard clean up to what you need is perfect for that. You might want to talk to your accountant to see how to pay them i.e. is cash okay in your town for day laborers?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
you can pay anyone up to 600 bucks in a year without filing that expense to the feds. My biggest problem with paying cash to people is that unless I really know them well I am scared of them getting hurt on the job .count my lucky stars it hasn't happened yet but I have saw it happen to my friends in the lawn care and construction biz. There are also people out there who have long history of getting hurt on the job who either aggervate old injuries or look for opportunities to file claims in search of either their next pay day or pain killer subscription from the doctor

Reactions: Scott Rogers

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
for the summer, check with some neighborhood teens...

years ago, i lived by some and became friends with them....they were 14-17.....now late 20s into 30s....

out of the 6 or so i had working off and on with me....2-3 still work quiet a bit, 1 is my main chimp....2 of them just got married in June, i was in the wedding....

i call them friends, and they enjoy the extra $$$

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom