Name
Luis Gomez
Two bathrooms 350 sq ft each
View attachment 4520

After we scrubbed with stripper and rinsed with turbo

View attachment 4521

Next morning he puts six coats of wax
View attachment 4522

700 sq ft for $2400.00 -I took 3 of us with two floor machines 4 1/2 hrs to strip and clean the floor- the next day 2 guys spend 7 hrs doing the waxing (it should have taken 4 but a janitor unplugged a dehu and one bathroom was not dry until early afternoon. Next time I will let them know that if anyone touches our equipment we will add more $ to the ticket.

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
That last picture is dry? Sure looks good!

I didn't know you could put wax on those floors.

Yes, the floor is dry. My helper actually worked on this floors three years ago so there is no problem using wax on the saltillo, according to him with basic maintenance they will last a year. And no, they will not peel or flake. But the floor has to be completely dry before you apply the wax or it will look cloudy or milky on top of the tile.

Last edited:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I got a call from another company around me.....turns out his guys "DIDNT" know how to do this and screwed it up....

So they called me (by way of John) to go look at it and maybe fix.....problem is i am swamped.....he had the custy call me:eekk: ohhhh and she is pissed.......She started in on me when i told her soonest was Monday to come LOOK at it...:angry:.

Told her I am a completely different company he called in.....then she calmed down....Still bugged her floors arent done, furniture is moved all over....and its a rental...

Said its going to be MIN of $500, and it most likely go up....she was going to have the landlord call me...nothing yet.....

ill call on Monday and see if she found someone else, or if she wants me to stop by.....

sometimes I dont understand how people can screw up WHAT TYPE OF FLOORING/TILE IT IS!!!! Thought it was ceramic:hopeless:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
imo, you should have taken all of the old coating off.

Leaving on as much as you did will create a funky uneven look. The new coating is far more likely to peel in those semi coated areas as well.

Total pita, I know.

pics of the last one we did. hopefully THE last one.

http://www.santacruzclean.com/blog/saltillo-floor-refionished/
attachment.php

We removed all the previous coatings completely, the reason they are all not even in color is that some of the tiles are stained and others are not.

That floor looks very nice. I have a 300 sq ft foyer that is terracotta. The floor is about 40 years old. About 30 years ago, some rocket scientist lacquered or varnished the tiles. Now it is turning white. On top of that, every time it rains, people slip and fall. The property has changed hands easily 6 times over the years. The current owner already has a slip & fall that was settled out of court for medical expenses, missed work and a few dollars extra off this floor, I don't know exactly how much, but I know a few bruises and bumps was worth over $5,000. Just to get checked out was like $1,100 with an X-ray. Of course they paid for like 3 days off from work and put some money in their pockets. The manager said this sort of thing doesn't need to raise his insurance rates $5,000 a year.
So no idea how to get off what is on there now. Maybe mineral spirits and a red pad? This stuff is like $50 per gallon and I hope it doesn't come to this.
What I worry about and in your case too is slip and fall. I don't want to be liable. They want it to shine like yours. When I do terra cotta in a restaurant kitchen, I generally seal it with something that adds no shine at all.

Back
Top Bottom